My favorites are the FA50/1.4 and the Super Takumar 135/3.5

FA50/1.4

Super Tak 135/3.5

07-07-2008, 09:18 AM   #47
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by OrenMc Quote
One of the big things that got me interested in macro was the out of focus aspect. I believe it opens a door to much creativity.
This shot is taken with a Sigma 105 macro. Just a typical shot but some nice bokeh.

A good sample of 'macro bokeh' and sharp too. Looks like a winner.

QuoteOriginally posted by maxwell1295 Quote
My favorites are the FA50/1.4 and the Super Takumar 135/3.5

FA50/1.4
You know, I understand a lot better now why its so hard to 'judge' bokeh. People can define whether hard edge highlights are too distracting and so on so forth, but in use - it totally depends on the image whether or not its 'pleasing'. In this image, I totally noticed the bokeh first. Some may say thats distracting, but this image is like molten lava bokeh and thats what makes it interesting to my eyes. In the end, I just enjoy it, nice shot.

@ Daniel - You make a good case for telephoto portraiture. If you are working far away from your subject and wish to make a portrait type seperation of subject and background, the 200 or 300 seem well endowed bokeh wise to do so.
07-08-2008, 01:47 AM   #48
Veteran Member

I really love my Super Takumar 85mm f/1.9 (ex Jsherman lens).

07-08-2008, 03:19 AM   #49
Pentaxian

Simon, those are beautiful - he'll be wanting the lens back now. Could make a nice profit there ;-)

07-08-2008, 04:12 AM   #50
Veteran Member

I haven't really had the chance to toy with so many lenses, but so far I'm quite fond of the bokeh produced by the following 2 lenses:

smc Pentax A 50mm f/1.7

(with heavily improvised macro adapter!)

Tokina AF 70-210 f/4.5

07-08-2008, 04:15 AM   #51
Veteran Member

Oh right, I almost forgot one of my more recent ones. Also taken with the Tokina 70-210

07-08-2008, 12:27 PM   #52
Inactive Account

DA 55-300

Last edited by ibbe; 07-08-2008 at 12:38 PM.
07-08-2008, 01:19 PM   #53
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
77mm Ltd

07-08-2008, 06:18 PM   #54
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Its impressive to see a lot of bokeh come together in one thread, my eyes approve! I will say though, to quote myself as the thread starter:

QuoteOriginally posted by thePiRaTE!!:
I'd like to qualify this discussion though - all lenses can produce an out of focus image area. Technique can emphasis the effect, also with virtually any lens in existence, and I'd go so far as to suggest most lenses with appropriate background selection and skill can do a good job of it. That isn't the topic I'm proposing.

I'm at the point where I've tasted enough 'wine' to find a few that really are special - unique to the point you can make educated guesses as to a lenses manufacturer or lineage by its bokeh. But there are just too many - and many rare - lenses out there to access them all.

As an artist, I'm hoping to borrow from the experience of other Bokeh fans, what secret weapons they carry everyday just for bokeh, just in case. THE lens in your bag you go to for bokeh. I'd also love to hear why you use them as compared to other lenses you own or have experienced.
So a picture or two doesn't tell the story, almost any lens can make a beautiful shot, but what lens do you rely on as your go to bokeh choice and why?

For example, I carry the Voigtlander Nokton as my #1, go to lens if all I'm trying for is a pure bokeh shot. I haven't decided if its more of an f1.4 thing, or of it does something for me at many apertures - what I do know is that wide open, it imparts a gentle quality to a scene, something dreamy. Present, not just mushy (to me) but lively and... dreamy.

Bokeh as the Raison D'etre:

Nokton @ f1.4

Stopped down to f1.7 for a hint of aperture, tightening the confusion I find it has an 'old school' flavour. Zeiss-ish. Like there is a little background color seperation that feels 'old' to me

Anyhoo, lookin' for more characters to try, but there are so many. Teach me!
07-08-2008, 07:28 PM   #55
Veteran Member

you are truly a bokeh connoiseur, kelly. on the subject of lenses, sometimes i wished i had a certain lens at a certain time, but i've never thought, i wish i could use the bokeh of this particular lens in the situation, that's just too advanced for me. but usually i have the FA31 and you're very familiar how reliable it is in all situations and it does the trick. both the FA31 and A50 1.2 seem to be able to give everything a soft blur without being too distracting.

some more bokeh shots

A50 1.2

FA31
07-08-2008, 11:07 PM   #56
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by k100d Quote
you are truly a bokeh connoiseur, kelly. on the subject of lenses, sometimes i wished i had a certain lens at a certain time, but i've never thought, i wish i could use the bokeh of this particular lens in the situation, that's just too advanced for me.
Thats the thought - sometimes the only reason a subject I'm shooting will be interesting is because of what the lens will do to it and in reverse, sometimes the only reason I select a subject is because I'm interested in how a certain lens will render it. Thats really at the heart of the matter. The old addage 'horses for courses'.

I've been using the Nokton almost exclusively for a month now, with a little VL125 thrown in. I don't have a lot of experience in the 50mm range generally to know whether or not this particular favoritism has more to do with the Nokton specifically, or 1.4 specifically. I'm very excited to put the T*85/1.4 to work and see what emerges; it'll be the only other lens I've had that let in as much light.

I can confidently state though, the FA31 while fast, is quite different.

QuoteOriginally posted by k100d:
...but usually i have the FA31 and you're very familiar how reliable it is in all situations and it does the trick. both the FA31 and A50 1.2 seem to be able to give everything a soft blur without being too distracting.

Some more bokeh shots...
It's funny, at first I was thinking both those shots were A 1.2 shots and I was going to wholeheartedly agree to a similarity to the 31, hehe... Your 31 example sums up the 31 nicely for me - a good field of view, smooth and generous bokeh, though its very intelligible. Clean and professional. Like a straight A student, its predictable and sharp. It was my first lens and remains the only AF lens I own but it doesn't offer many surprises. I look forward to FF for when the 31 will really get to shine, as a great wide angle, not just a normal normal.

Do you find the 1.2 oof rendering similar to the 31, just more? Its nice bokeh certainly. I'd be curious to see what happens if you stick the 1.2 in a thicket of weeds with the late afternoon light shining across the scene, see what sort of mangling it does (or doesn't?). My first example of the Nokton was basically just that. Doing that with other lenses would produce results leaving very little to the imagination (like the 31). You'de just see what was there a little blurrier and the mystery of the shot would be gone. Need that lens for that shot, not necessarily the range.
07-09-2008, 06:20 AM   #57
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ftpaddict Quote
Oh right, I almost forgot one of my more recent ones. Also taken with the Tokina 70-210

This is a great shot, Dan! The bokeh works really well for the simple subject. The look is simply effective!
07-09-2008, 06:37 AM   #58
Veteran Member

A 50mm f1.2 does have bokeh that is a little higher contrast comparing to Voigtlander 58mm f1.4

Sometimes it gives a punchy look to it.

07-09-2008, 06:53 AM   #59
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The Sigma 105 Macro is without a doubt a great lens for this thread as so clearly shown above, as is the FA50mm/1.4

I'll offer one that might not come to mind at first glance.
The Sigma EX 70-200 f2.8 (non macro). There is not much about this lens that it can't do well.

Also the FA50 f2.8 macro is a fine perfomer.
07-09-2008, 09:09 PM   #60
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by thePiRaTE!! Quote
It's funny, at first I was thinking both those shots were A 1.2 shots and I was going to wholeheartedly agree to a similarity to the 31, hehe... Your 31 example sums up the 31 nicely for me - a good field of view, smooth and generous bokeh, though its very intelligible. Clean and professional. Like a straight A student, its predictable and sharp. It was my first lens and remains the only AF lens I own but it doesn't offer many surprises. I look forward to FF for when the 31 will really get to shine, as a great wide angle, not just a normal normal.

Do you find the 1.2 oof rendering similar to the 31, just more? Its nice bokeh certainly. I'd be curious to see what happens if you stick the 1.2 in a thicket of weeds with the late afternoon light shining across the scene, see what sort of mangling it does (or doesn't?). My first example of the Nokton was basically just that. Doing that with other lenses would produce results leaving very little to the imagination (like the 31). You'de just see what was there a little blurrier and the mystery of the shot would be gone. Need that lens for that shot, not necessarily the range.
from what Steven Lin did in his post https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/29917-pentax-f...-canon-5d.html, FA Limiteds on FF will be sick. i'm looking forward to that day too, i don't think i could ever put up with using Film FF.

i haven't shot enough with the A50 1.2 to be sure what it looks like. i really want to go out and do some tests just to see how good the bokeh is, especially with night lights and also through a mess of branches. it is difficult to nail down the focus at f1.2. i haven't seen anything that i'd be pleased with in the branches / weeds situation because of the double line bokeh so i'm interested in seeing how the 1.2 handles it...