Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-09-2016, 08:58 AM   #31

QuoteOriginally posted by Cintramontane Quote

I have a lovely Ricoh XR-2s which takes K-mount lenses. I have a Mitakon 50mm 1.4 and a Mitakon 135 2.8 for it but I'm really more of a landscape kinda guy. What are some good, cheap, manual K-mount wide-angles I could look for?

I'm also looking for a wide angle but with some different criteria. One, I need it for APS-C sensors, not 35mm. Two, I will rarely use it, but want it available when I need it. Because I won't use it often, I'd be very happy with an older manual lens to save money (I don't have the large budget many of the photographers here seem to have.) I already use several manual lenses I've had since my film days. However, I've found even a 24mm 35mm lens is not wide enough for what I sometimes need, due to the APS-C 1.5x conversion factor.

How wide do I need to go to get something like I had with a 24mm in a 35mm SLR? 16mm is the mathematical answer, but I've never looked at what is actually available, and I am not looking for a fisheye. Would something that wide in a 35mm lens likely be a fisheye, sending me to a more expensive DA lens?

And while on the subject, when you use a manual zoom on your DSLRs, what focal length do you generally choose to set on your camera? I have chosen either the minimum or maximum FL and then left the zoom on that setting. Is this wrong? If so, is there a more versatile option? I'm still not well-versed on DSLRs even though I just bought my second body. (Still an old 35mm film SLR guy after all these years of DSLRs, I guess. )

All advice welcomed, thank-you.

07-10-2016, 07:26 AM   #32
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mark Freburg Quote
I'm also looking for a wide angle but with some different criteria. One, I need it for APS-C sensors, not 35mm. Two, I will rarely use it, but want it available when I need it. Because I won't use it often, I'd be very happy with an older manual lens to save money (I don't have the large budget many of the photographers here seem to have.) I already use several manual lenses I've had since my film days. However, I've found even a 24mm 35mm lens is not wide enough for what I sometimes need, due to the APS-C 1.5x conversion factor.

How wide do I need to go to get something like I had with a 24mm in a 35mm SLR? 16mm is the mathematical answer, but I've never looked at what is actually available, and I am not looking for a fisheye. Would something that wide in a 35mm lens likely be a fisheye, sending me to a more expensive DA lens?

And while on the subject, when you use a manual zoom on your DSLRs, what focal length do you generally choose to set on your camera? I have chosen either the minimum or maximum FL and then left the zoom on that setting. Is this wrong? If so, is there a more versatile option? I'm still not well-versed on DSLRs even though I just bought my second body. (Still an old 35mm film SLR guy after all these years of DSLRs, I guess. )

All advice welcomed, thank-you.

You were saying manual focus BUT, the original version of the Sigma 10~20mm can be had at (IMHO) near-steal prices of around $200. It is an excellent WA, easily competitive with SFL lenses of similar FL. Otherwise the primary choice would be a DA15mm or the Rokunar/Samyang/etc 14mm.

Last edited by WPRESTO; 07-10-2016 at 10:11 AM.
07-10-2016, 08:00 AM   #33
Veteran Member

You wont get any cheaper than this....

Ricoh Rikenon "P" 28mm 2.8
Ricoh Rikenon XR 28mm 2.8
Ricoh Rikenon XR 35mm 2.8
All three of these perform VERY WELL.

If You pay more than $50 for the 28mm XR , $5-$20 for the 28mm P , or $40-$50 for the 35mm....... Your paying Too Much.
07-11-2016, 06:44 AM   #34
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Dlanor Sekao Quote
You wont get any cheaper than this....

Ricoh Rikenon "P" 28mm 2.8
Ricoh Rikenon XR 28mm 2.8
Ricoh Rikenon XR 35mm 2.8
All three of these perform VERY WELL.

If You pay more than $50 for the 28mm XR , $5-$20 for the 28mm P , or $40-$50 for the 35mm....... Your paying Too Much.
My understanding is that these lenses are re badged Pentax M lenses, am I wrong?

07-11-2016, 07:27 AM   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Cuthbert Quote
My understanding is that these lenses are re badged Pentax M lenses, am I wrong?
Well.....here is what other Forums have came to the conclusion of.......

The Ricoh Rikenon XR 28 is supposed to be , but it also is exactly the same as the Ricoh Rikenon P in build and also looks......they appear Identical. There has been mention that it is the same as the Pentax M version but I personally don't think so.

There is a Ricoh Rikenon 200mm tele that IS the exact same as the Pentax 200mm M lens.....this I can Verify.

I think only 2 Ricoh Lenses are Pentax M version replicas.
07-11-2016, 09:59 AM   #36

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
You were saying manual focus BUT, the original version of the Sigma 10~20mm can be had at (IMHO) near-steal prices of around $200. It is an excellent WA, easily competitive with SFL lenses of similar FL. Otherwise the primary choice would be a DA15mm or the Rokunar/Samyang/etc 14mm.

Thanks! I read hear (in a forum message) that non-DA autofocus Sigmas may not work properly on my cameras (K100D,K10D), but I don't know why. Something about compatibility? I will start looking for something from Rokinar/etc. It seems a prime is easier to work with anyway (re: my question about how to set my camera when it asks for the focal length of an older zoom lens).