Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-03-2008, 01:28 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Why don't you add Tokina to the list of 3rd party manufacturers?

07-03-2008, 01:35 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Miserere Quote
Why don't you add Tokina to the list of 3rd party manufacturers?
I was thinking that myself, but then couldn't recall anyone here even using a Tokina lens.
07-03-2008, 02:37 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jodokast96 Quote
I was thinking that myself, but then couldn't recall anyone here even using a Tokina lens.
I believe that the Pentax-DA* lenses are made by Tokina

Plus I have a couple of older Manual focus (A) lenses from them, which are relatively decent.

I'd take Sigma over both Tamron, and Tokina.
Partly because I've never gotten a Sigma lens I didn't get several incredible photographs with.

I've never tried anything made by Tamron
07-03-2008, 03:31 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by little laker Quote
Plus I have a couple of older Manual focus (A) lenses from them, which are relatively decent.
I have some old Tokina 'A' zooms that have superb IQ. If only I could put AF on them...

07-03-2008, 03:57 PM   #20
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Awesome feedback so far guys, good to see people commenting from experience and sensible points of view and no brash generalized commends.

Personally you have helped me answer a question I was about to ask, whether I should go for the Sigma 28-70 EX f/2.8 or the Tamron 28-75 SP XR Di.

It seems the Tamron has the good reputation out of the two for that particular focal range. And seeing there is only $4 between them in price I am not being tempted to settle for a cheaper model.
07-03-2008, 04:05 PM   #21
Veteran Member

I've tried the Sigma 28 - 70 f2.8, and I loved it.
I almost bought it, instead of paying roughly double for the 24 - 70, but I was offered a nice discount so I couldn't resist the extra 4mm.

At times I regret my decision, mostly when I'm looking at the cost of 82mm filters. Or the size difference.
But my clients seem to like the looks of the bigger glass
07-03-2008, 04:12 PM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by NicholasN Quote
Awesome feedback so far guys, good to see people commenting from experience and sensible points of view and no brash generalized commends.

Personally you have helped me answer a question I was about to ask, whether I should go for the Sigma 28-70 EX f/2.8 or the Tamron 28-75 SP XR Di.

It seems the Tamron has the good reputation out of the two for that particular focal range. And seeing there is only $4 between them in price I am not being tempted to settle for a cheaper model.
Like Stu said, there's a big size/weight/filter-cost difference between the two of them. I've never held the Sigma, but I own the Tamron and find that it balances very well on the K10D. I find it's on the right (correct) side of "almost heavy". Good IQ too
07-04-2008, 12:11 AM   #23
axl
Veteran Member

For me it's 50:50.
I have Tamrons 28-200 and 70-300, and I can't be (much) happier. Both of them have one annying thing. 28-200 reflects like mad anytime I point it towards light source, and 70-300 sometimes shows ugly PF. But otherwise they are perfect lenses for the money...
From Sigma I have 105 macro, and 10-20. I'd say they are both excellent. Though 10-20 sometimes seems to be on softer side compared to other 3 (especialy past f16). But generaly very good lenses... I use all four of them very often, so really for me it's 50:50...
BR

07-04-2008, 12:14 AM   #24
axl
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by little laker Quote
....But my clients seem to like the looks of the bigger glass
I don't have clients, but generaly I thought that people like the looks of big glass on your camera. It's true with laymen. But put on pancake and go to some camera selling shop, just then you'll see the heads turning....
07-04-2008, 09:29 AM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by axl Quote
I don't have clients, but generaly I thought that people like the looks of big glass on your camera. It's true with laymen. But put on pancake and go to some camera selling shop, just then you'll see the heads turning....
Heh.

Yeah, even larger consumer zooms (like the 70-300 consumer zooms) attract LOTS of attention in this era of digital point and shoots. I don't know how many "nice camera!" comments I got at my company's family day (called "Employee Appreciation Event") last year. I think my new Bigma is going to attract giant swarms this August... (Speaking of Bigma, as soon as I finish with the forums, I need to go to Pizza Hut and then walk it off in the park with my Bigma, the sun is out and I want to try out my new lens!)
07-04-2008, 11:04 AM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Entropy Quote
I don't know how many "nice camera!" comments I got at my company's family day (called "Employee Appreciation Event") last year.
When my brother-in-law first saw me with my K10D he exclaimed wow! That looks like an awesome camera...it must have a huge zoom!

I had a 70s 28mm f/2.8 on it...

If Stu is right about clients and big lenses, I might just have to get myself one of those old manual 300mm f/5.6 from the 60s. Let's just hope they don't ask me to take a pic right then and there!
07-04-2008, 04:03 PM   #27
axl
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Miserere Quote
When my brother-in-law first saw me with my K10D he exclaimed wow! That looks like an awesome camera...it must have a huge zoom!

I had a 70s 28mm f/2.8 on it...

If Stu is right about clients and big lenses, I might just have to get myself one of those old manual 300mm f/5.6 from the 60s. Let's just hope they don't ask me to take a pic right then and there!
I ran into similar situation but with K100D and Sigma 10-20. Upon which my friends exclaimed that it must have huge zoom
07-04-2008, 04:53 PM   #28
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Jodokast96 Quote
Ummm...I wrote a review for the 19-35...
07-04-2008, 05:25 PM   #29
Site Supporter

I have been reading the Tamron vs. Sigma posts for some time and came to the conclusion about six months ago that most everyone here loves Tamron and Tokina and a whole host of exotic, off-brand and esoteric lenses. As for Sigma, it appears to be somewhat of a love/hate relationship. Maybe it has something to do with the Pentaxian frame of mind. Sigma is definitely the big boy of third-party lenses. If you buy a Nikon or a Canon, your lens choice will definitely be the manufacturers lens or a Sigma.

Pentaxians, on the other hand, tend to tread the road less traveled. They operate outside of the mainstream. They value compactness and elegance of design. They appreciate pedigree. They know that size (big glass) is not everything. Balance and usability are important. They will look at the Sigma, but be suspicious of the big boy status. The Tamron or Tokina lines appeal to their alternative view of photography.

As for me, when I heard that Tamron was going to offer their 17-50/2.8 in Pentax mount, I was really excited. I never even considered the similar Sigma 18-50/2.8. I own the Sigma 50/2.8 Macro, but have never been particularly thrilled with its dimensions, handling, finish, or performance despite its great value. (Maybe I would have felt differently if I had sprung for the Sigma 70/2.8...) In the back of my mind was the notion that I should have held out for the Tamron 90/2.8 Macro. I guess it is just that Pentaxian mindset...

Steve
07-04-2008, 07:34 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Steve, I think you have hit the nail on the head.

For me, I will buy a lens that is best suited for my needs, at the time and at the right price, no matter the make. Initially, it was range I needed and stuff the speed,so the best IQ/price was Sigma (55-200 and 70-300). But now I am adding (replacing?) with optics which are constant aperature throughout the zoom, and with better optics as a result (with exceptions). So now I have enhanced my lens range to include the Sigma 24-70 EX F2.8, Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX (the exception as it has excellent optics.), the Pentax 50mm F1.4, Tokina 20-35mm F2.8 ATX PRO, and only yesterday, the Pentax 50-135mm F2.8 DA* lens.

So there you go, I will go for the best lens to suit my needs, whether Pentax, Sigma, Tamron or Tokina, If it fits my bill as a lens that I need and has good optics, then I will consider it, no matter the badge.

For me, there should not be badge rivalry as regards lenses, this is not Canon V Nikon, its only Lenses ( I know only, but dont pick me up on this), and you should buy what is best for you.