Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 18 Likes Search this Thread
01-29-2016, 01:18 PM - 3 Likes   #1

I got a new PRIME lens......

Installed in my right eyeball after Cataract surgery this week and WOW I can't believe I waited this long to have it done. It's like going from a kit lens (not that there is anything wrong with them) to a DA* lens. Now I have to re-learn how to use the camera with my right eye until March when they are installing the left eyeball.

If anyone is on the Fence about this procedure, don't be, it is unreal how quick and painless it is for the results you will get.

Now I am going to go make an Adult Beverage and take some crappy bird pictures.....

01-29-2016, 01:25 PM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Awesome!!!

So glad you're on the mend.

Have one for me!

Name:  21146.jpg
Views: 613
Size:  30.5 KB

Cheers,
Cameron
01-29-2016, 01:29 PM - 5 Likes   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
We now need you to stare at a brick wall and a newspaper, JML. You may need to do some micro adjustments. 😀
01-29-2016, 01:55 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
We now need you to stare at a brick wall and a newspaper, JML. You may need to do some micro adjustments. 😀
Crap, I hate having to do those!! Ha Ha

01-29-2016, 02:01 PM - 1 Like   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JML69 Quote
Installed in my right eyeball after Cataract surgery this week and WOW I can't believe I waited this long to have it done. It's like going from a kit lens (not that there is anything wrong with them) to a DA* lens. Now I have to re-learn how to use the camera with my right eye until March when they are installing the left eyeball.

If anyone is on the Fence about this procedure, don't be, it is unreal how quick and painless it is for the results you will get.

Now I am going to go make an Adult Beverage and take some crappy bird pictures.....
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
I must do macro adjustments after the surgery in 2009. It seems my arms are way too short to read the phone book, now. For those who aren't familiar with the procedure, the lens that was installed before birth can become opaque. The ophthalmologist powders the old lens and vacuums it out, then replaces it with a plastic lens similar to soft contact lenses. They are set by the surgeon to give you perfect vision at one particular distance. Unlike mother nature's lenses, they have no ability to focus, so reading glasses become an absolute necessity. The most common setting for the replacement lens is 20/30¹ distance vision, on the grounds that a 25mm lens (your eye) when stopped down somewhat by your iris gives you a hyper focal setting.

¹ If someone with normal vision can read a sign at 30 feet, with 20/30 vision must be 10 feet closer to read it. I rejoiced when I had the surgery. At age 11 or 12, it was discovered that I couldn't read the blackboard from the front row, and I became a permanent coke bottle bottom wearer. (-5 diopters in the right eye, -4.75 in the left). After the surgery, I didn't walk into invisible walls without my glasses. Yay!
01-29-2016, 03:25 PM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JML69 Quote
Installed in my right eyeball after Cataract surgery this week and WOW I can't believe I waited this long to have it done. It's like going from a kit lens (not that there is anything wrong with them) to a DA* lens.
Gee, I would have thought that you would have opted for a full-frame D FA* lens !!!

01-29-2016, 03:31 PM - 1 Like   #7
Imp
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Cambo Quote
Have one for me! Name: 21146.jpg Views: 144 Size: 30.5 KB
Me too!! Because I can't drink yet...

01-29-2016, 03:33 PM - 2 Likes   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I went from 20/50 and a major blockage (cataract) in the very center of my right lens to 20/25 and a +1.25 diopter in both eyes (I guess for reading). I can manual focus all my cameras including my K-3 without eyeglasses with my right eye-so no more poking myself when metering with the KX. (If you know what I mean you know what I mean).

I feel like I was CLA'ed by Eric.
01-29-2016, 04:00 PM - 1 Like   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
... i feel like i was cla'ed by eric.
lol
01-29-2016, 04:27 PM - 2 Likes   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
I must do macro adjustments after the surgery in 2009. It seems my arms are way too short to read the phone book, now.
What's a phone book?
01-29-2016, 04:35 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Imp Quote
Me too!! Because I can't drink yet...
Same here...
01-29-2016, 06:37 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Congratulations! Something most of us take for granted. I hope your new prime doesn't have an aperture ring with manual focus? Enjoy your new limited and protect it with a UV blocking polarizer.
01-29-2016, 06:47 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
That's very cool, but let me know when they have one for x-ray vision.

01-29-2016, 11:14 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
I must do macro adjustments after the surgery in 2009. It seems my arms are way too short to read the phone book, now. For those who aren't familiar with the procedure, the lens that was installed before birth can become opaque. The ophthalmologist powders the old lens and vacuums it out, then replaces it with a plastic lens similar to soft contact lenses. They are set by the surgeon to give you perfect vision at one particular distance. Unlike mother nature's lenses, they have no ability to focus, so reading glasses become an absolute necessity. The most common setting for the replacement lens is 20/30¹ distance vision, on the grounds that a 25mm lens (your eye) when stopped down somewhat by your iris gives you a hyper focal setting.

¹ If someone with normal vision can read a sign at 30 feet, with 20/30 vision must be 10 feet closer to read it. I rejoiced when I had the surgery. At age 11 or 12, it was discovered that I couldn't read the blackboard from the front row, and I became a permanent coke bottle bottom wearer. (-5 diopters in the right eye, -4.75 in the left). After the surgery, I didn't walk into invisible walls without my glasses. Yay!
There is a work done on lenses that can couple to the iris's muscles. I am not sure on the time till they are approved. I have one friend working on it, and they moved from an academic setting to a company a couple of years ago, so my estimate would be 3-8 years from now, depending on how well it works in the clinical trials.
01-30-2016, 06:10 AM - 1 Like   #15
Veteran Member

I hope your new lens is WR...
Otherwise you're gonna have a tough time taking a shower!