Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
01-29-2016, 05:41 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Vivitar 28mm F/2.0 Repair Problem

Hey guys, sorry this was a wrong place to post this:

So a friend of mine tried to clean his Vivitar 28mm f/2 that purchased from me some time ago and apparently he broke it. He asked me if i can take a look but no matter what i do there seems to be a problem.

Basically dude dismantled lens and we both failed to put it back together. Also we do not have ANY proper camera or lens repair service in our country...

I am posting photos below if somebody could direct me how to put lens together in correct way

As you can see in the photos mechanism is pretty simple but it either gets stuck in a random aperture after few turns or i can't use aperture ring after mounting to camera.
I think my problem is where to put that top part which has long "teeth" that needs to hold something

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
01-29-2016, 06:54 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't know, but it might possibly be helpful for any potential "repair suggestor" to know just which Vivitar 28/2 lens it is. (?)
01-29-2016, 07:04 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by fwcetus Quote
I don't know, but it might possibly be helpful for any potential "repair suggestor" to know just which Vivitar 28/2 lens it is. (?)
Serial is: 22804567

Sorry that i forgot other factory copies exist
01-29-2016, 07:12 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

You might try this reference page

or for repair manuals.

This
help as well

Good luck!

01-29-2016, 07:18 PM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by G.E.Zekai Quote
Serial is: 22804567
OK, so you have a Kino/Kiron-made Vivitar 28/2...

That narrows it down a bit, but you might simply provide the exact info written on the front trim ring of the lens (or you might show a pic of that).

[Or maybe none of this would actually be of help to a potential "repair suggestor", so maybe I should just shut up...]
01-29-2016, 07:26 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Just in case the lens in question is "this" particular Vivitar (Kino/Kiron) 28/2 ...

Page 19 (~maybe~ one of the "illustrated parts lists" over to the right might help)
01-29-2016, 08:45 PM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote
The fork slips over the aperture actuation tab. You also have to reattach the aperture lever return spring (hanging loose in the last pic) to the correct screw on the base. I might be able to post a pic of the correct orientation in the next couple of days when I do one of these.
that would be great mate. When ever i try to screw aperture gets stuck. May be i should set the lens to a specific aperture before putting the fork/mount piece in ?

01-30-2016, 12:35 AM   #8

Page 19

There are two versions of this (not counting mounts). 1st version is marked on the front bezel "AUTO WIDE ANGLE". The second version reads "MC WIDE ANGLE".

Aperture linkages vary depending on mount. What mount is the lens configured for? There should be a one or two part 1 to 3 letter code on the barrel of the mount, e.g. M/MD or P/K. If not show photos of the rear mount and we can suss out which mount it is for. It does not appear to be for Pentax K-mount as these do not use the long fork. My best guess is this is for a Yashica - Contax mount but I could be wrong.

Depending on the mount there should be a fork or lever on the aperture setting ring that engages a tab or fork on the aperture setting cam (silver piece of metal around the lens element in your photos). The long fork on the rear mount assembly will most likely engage a tab on the cam or or on the aperture ring - see the tab at around the 3 o'clock position on the sixth photo from the top.

The more important question is what broke in the first place? Or was it broken from being taken apart and not re-assembled properly?

Last edited by Not a Number; 01-30-2016 at 08:00 AM.