Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
02-07-2016, 11:44 PM - 1 Like   #46

Sigh... Since you insist on being arrogant -

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Seems to me, Genesmasher, you actually didn't understand the concept of a bad copy.
Even if you knew me personally (which you don't), a comment like this would be rude and presumptuous.

If you got a bad copy you should have sent it back. 10% keepers didn't set off alarm bells?
Rude again. Despite what you might think, the number of posts you logged on this forum does NOT inversely correlate with IQ of others (nor, sadly, directly with your own IQ). IQ in this case is Intelligence Quotient, not Image Quality

I think you were being particularly unhelpful in scaring off someone from one of the best lenses they might buy.

They wouldn't be purchasing *your* copy, thank goodness. ��

Just for the sake of clarity - he may in fact be purchasing "my lens", since it is no longer mine, and he didn't state that he wanted to buy new.

QuoteOriginally posted by genesmasher Quote
... So I promptly sold it and went back to Pentax.

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote

The Tamron 70-200 is considerably sharper than the DA 55-300mm, but the size difference is enormous. I rarely use the Tamron for that reason. I consider it a specialized lens for sports shooting. I expect it is a great portrait lens, but I don't shoot many portraits, and the people I have done portraits for would be very uncomfortable posing in front of that beast of a lens.

All of the above have noisy auto-focus. I don't find any of them more or less noisy than the others but I've never compared them directly. The Tamron is least likely to hunt. Unlike the poster above, I have no issues with accuracy, my copy is exemplary. The 55-300mm and 100mm macro are prone to hunting but fortunately both have quick-shift, which I am quick to use when they miss the target. A little trick I've learned is to reset the lens to infinity focus, which minimizes the problem. For some reason focus is more reliable when racking inward.

How often do you use your Tamron 70-300mm? There's not a world of difference between it and a 55-300mm. I did that upgrade a long time ago and considered it worthwhile but they are more similar than different. I prefer Pentax colours. fringing is much improved and 55-70mm range is more useful to me than 1:2 macro. The biggest difference IMO was quick-shift on the Pentax. I made me crazy to have to put the camera in MF mode when I was trying to shoot a bird in a tree. I would recommend you not buy the DA L 55-300mm version for that reason; it does not have Q-S. In fact I recommend you not go with the bargain price unless it is for the HD DA 55-300mm WR. The original 55-300 is a rattlebox in comparison. I am a huge fan of weather-resistance. I don't want to miss going on my weekend nature walks due to rain or snow.

I bought the Tamron 70-200mm f2.8 recently because of its low price and excellent IQ, but it is not an essential lens for me, it's just nice to have for the few times a year I need it. You'll need to determine your priorities based on what you want to do.

PS You need to consider how you will carry the big Tamron.
  • I have a backpack that handles the body, lens and hood in shooting position, but getting at the camera in the backpack is very slow and awkward.
  • I have a messenger bag that will carry the lens with hood not in shooting position, and not on a body.
  • I have a sling that allows snap shooting, but affords no protection from bumps or the elements.
  • I bought a Think Tank Digital 30 holster because it is was the only solution I could find that protects the gear and accommodates the gripped body, lens and hood in shooting position. The grip is a real boon when balancing a lens this large.
^ Now this is a nice, objective analysis, with pros and cons of both lenses, undoubtedly helpful to OP and others reading this thread. That's what these forums are for, presumably?.. I fully admit that there maybe Tamron copies around that produce stellar photos - clearly you and audiobomber had better copies. However, this doesn't change my opinion of it, invalidates my experience with it, or somehow enables you to claim that my feedback is less helpful than yours.

Last edited by genesmasher; 02-07-2016 at 11:50 PM.
02-08-2016, 10:59 AM   #47

I just ordered a Tamron 70-200 from ProDigital2000 for $599.99 w/shipping. That's a fantastic price that I couldn't turn down especially with the rumors that this lens may not be available new much longer. It has a 6 year Canadian Tamron warranty and they will forward it for repair for you if needed. This may help you decide!
02-08-2016, 12:02 PM   #48
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by fiveo Quote
I just ordered a Tamron 70-200 from ProDigital2000 for $599.99 w/shipping. That's a fantastic price that I couldn't turn down especially with the rumors that this lens may not be available new much longer. It has a 6 year Canadian Tamron warranty and they will forward it for repair for you if needed. This may help you decide!
Great info, thanks! Reputable? How exactly does the warranty work from the US?
02-08-2016, 02:14 PM   #49

I have a thread from the other day asking about other's experiences with the company and all were very positive. I ordered last night around midnight. I sent them a message this morning asking about warranty. They replied right away that it has a 6yr Tamron Canadian warranty. If I need warranty work done, they said I would have to return the lens to them and they would forward the lens to Tamron for repair and then they would ship it back to me. They said they even paid return shipping back to me. I received shipping notice and UPS tracking number about an hour ago. So far so good!

02-08-2016, 03:14 PM   #50
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Prodigital2000 is absolutely legit. Have had great service from them.
02-08-2016, 04:45 PM   #51

I forgot to add that I ordered from their ebay store.
02-08-2016, 05:46 PM   #52
Forum Member

Original Poster
Great news. Thanks for the info. That's now officially my current plan and I have the rest of my life to second guess the decision, lol.

02-09-2016, 09:03 PM   #53
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I fully admit that there maybe Tamron copies around that produce stellar photos - clearly you and audiobomber had better copies. However, this doesn't change my opinion of it, invalidates my experience with it, or somehow enables you to claim that my feedback is less helpful than yours
You admitted only when I pointed it out to you, Genesmasher.

Your post 34 said: "I don't understand people's fascination with the Tamron."

As I replied, you actually didn't understand sample variation. You should read Roger Cicala of Lens Rentals on the issue.

It is of little interest that a bad example can be found.

By your methodology, you would never buy any lens if anybody could point to a defective one.

You were on sounder ground when you simply linked pics taken by your 55-300, pointing out what a within-spec copy can produce.

If I had a lousy copy of the 55-300, it would be *ridiculous* of me to criticize it the way you did the 70-200.

BTW, you say "Tamron is not exactly known for consistent quality", but Cicala has written extensively of variation in all brands (including glass like the Canon 85mm), and Tamron both have a six year warranty to back their products and have been chosen to build the Pentax 24-70 FF lens, and probably a 15-30.

Ricoh clearly has more confidence than you.

Just for the sake of clarity - he may in fact be purchasing "my lens", since it is no longer mine, and he didn't state that he wanted to buy new.
Well, something genuinely useful you could have done for the OP instead of whining is to have stated its serial number. (Rolls eyes)

Last edited by clackers; 02-09-2016 at 09:10 PM.
02-09-2016, 09:09 PM   #54
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by wowarning Quote
Great news. Thanks for the info. That's now officially my current plan and I have the rest of my life to second guess the decision, lol.
Well, good luck to you and @Fiveo, Wowarning.

With all the enthusiasm surrounding the FF launch, remember this will go nicely on it if like me you can't afford the Pentax 70-200.

Last edited by clackers; 02-10-2016 at 03:39 PM.
02-11-2016, 12:28 PM   #55

Just as a follow up, FedEx tried to deliver my lens yesterday but I wasn't home to sign for it. I got it this morning. It was shipped in a sturdy box w/bubble wrap inside. That's some super fast service all the way from Canada to north central Kansas! I'm glad I didn't pay the $8.98 for the better shipping. Hope the weathers nice this weekend for some testing.
02-11-2016, 08:54 PM   #56
Forum Member

Original Poster
Great to hear. Thanks for the follow-up!
02-17-2016, 10:53 PM   #57

You admitted only when I pointed it out to you, Genesmasher.

Your post 34 said: "I don't understand people's fascination with the Tamron."

As I replied, you actually didn't understand sample variation. You should read Roger Cicala of Lens Rentals on the issue.

It is of little interest that a bad example can be found.

By your methodology, you would never buy any lens if anybody could point to a defective one.

You were on sounder ground when you simply linked pics taken by your 55-300, pointing out what a within-spec copy can produce.

If I had a lousy copy of the 55-300, it would be *ridiculous* of me to criticize it the way you did the 70-200.

BTW, you say "Tamron is not exactly known for consistent quality", but Cicala has written extensively of variation in all brands (including glass like the Canon 85mm), and Tamron both have a six year warranty to back their products and have been chosen to build the Pentax 24-70 FF lens, and probably a 15-30.

Ricoh clearly has more confidence than you.

Well, something genuinely useful you could have done for the OP instead of whining is to have stated its serial number. (Rolls eyes)
Naturally, anyone who has an opinion opposing to clackers is "whining". I agree - a unique bad example is of little note. However, Tamron lenses are infamous for having higher variability than others. I am certainly not the only one who experienced Tamron focusing issues, and not just with this particular lens. Maybe you should take your own advice and read some more reviews, instead of spewing insults and bullying your way around - it doesn't really help your credibility. Then again, some people don't really care about credibility, they just feel the need to be the loudest in the room

As to my not understanding the fascination with this lens - I (and others) also mentioned two other parameters that may or may not be important to OP. Even if the optics are perfect, to many people added weight and cost still remain cons of the 70-200mm. It is just not offered in a "cheap and light" variety.
02-19-2016, 02:05 AM   #58
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

IQ in this case is Intelligence Quotient
You're name calling?

Let's have no moralizing about netiquette from you, then! ;-)

Naturally, anyone who has an opinion opposing to clackers is "whining".
Champ, you have the right to post rubbish, and we have the right to call you on it.

That's the deal ... don't throw your toys out of the cot in protest, it's just how it goes.
02-19-2016, 11:37 AM   #59

\Tamron 70-200mm 2.8 is one of my favourite lenses - certainly more useful than the 100mm macro (which I also have) - indeed it's probably second only in usefulness to a decent 17-50/70mm!!

Enjoy it - mine is razor sharp, pretty good at focussing, most tests put it up there with the Canon L series 70-200mm F2.8 (£1700 ish) and some even rate it as better optically.

jonlg
03-10-2016, 07:58 PM - 1 Like   #60
Forum Member

Original Poster
Welp, I just wanted to check back in and state for the record that I received the Tamron 70-200 today. I really wrestled with the idea of the 60-250, but the extra speed of the lens for indoor events won out over the additional reach. I already have a 1.4x tamron telecoverter for when I need a little more reach and that will put me at the same maximum aperture anyway - though admittedly probably at lower image quality with the TC attached than the Pentax lens. The relatively affordable full frame body that has just become a reality has played a part in the decision as well. It might take me a while, but I WILL have one. I must. I took just a handful of test shots in my dimly lit living room and dining room tonight but already can see the image quality of this lens is excellent. I already understand the complaints regarding the focusing ring, but very livable. I've got a St. Patrick's Day parade this Sunday that I can't wait to take it out for a real test drive on! Thanks again to everyone for all the advice and information - it is greatly appreciated. (btw - I wound up getting from Amazon - the ebay guy didn't have any listings for the lens now that I finally had the funds in hand. I feel a little more comfortable with a US warranty anyway (at least that what I'm telling myself since the lens cost an additional $170, lol))