Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-03-2008, 09:12 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
SMC PENTAX-M 40-80mm

Hi,

I'm a new user in Pentax world (in SLR world in fact) and, to make short a long story, I use this forum as my main source about quality for vintage Pentax lenses (and their prices)

I just saw on eBay, an offer for a SMC PENTAX-M 40-80mm, that nobobdy have left any comment on it. The only data I could find was on Flikr, and even though the focus plan was cristal clear, I found the bokeh a bit harch. Also, it is refered on eBay as Macro, but I didn't find it as it elsewhere.

As anyone ever used it ? What do you think of it ? What would be a reasonable price ?

Many thanks for your comments.

Guillaume

07-03-2008, 09:24 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Here is some more details. M 40-80/2.8-4

I have one but have not tried using it to give you an opinion. I have heard that its reputation is as an ok lens, nothing more. It does have a close focus macro capability.
07-03-2008, 09:46 AM   #3

I never owned one, although a girlfiend in the mid-80s did. It was OK but nothing special - Pentax's cheaper 'standard' zoom at a time when standard zooms were a new thing. I never quite saw the point of it given that it only went to 40mm at the wide end. I think the maximum reproduction ration in close focus was 1:4.
07-06-2008, 11:49 PM   #4

I have owned this lens since my mx and lx days and still use it today. I feel this lens is underated for Ive got great shots with film and even better with digital for it puts it in a nice portrait range.If you can get this lens for 40.00us or under you wont be dissapointed.