Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-05-2016, 06:36 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
How to handle USPS insurance claim?

Here is the situation:

A PF member (ebailey001) and myself arranged to trade lenses (My Rokinon 16mm f2 for his DA35 Macro)

I shipped the Rokinon through USPS, 2-day with insurance for $300.

I shipped the lens in optically and structural excellent condition, packaged it well beyond the acceptable standard and had it out the door Monday morning.
He received the lens yesterday, however has noted possible damage to the lens during transit.
The focus housing and front element are now loose and the resulting image quality is drastically affected.

The DA35 Macro is still in transit. Should be here by end of the day today.

I fully intend to return his DA35 Macro, or pay him cash for it, to resolve the unfortunate event here.
However, what's our best course of action with USPS insurance claim?
Has anyone had experience with it?

Should he submit the claim, or should I?
If he ships the lens back to me, will that nullify our ability to submit a claim for the initial shipment?

Any assistance here would be greatly appreciated!
I do not want ebailey001 to be burdened with this mishap, however I also do not want to lose a $300 lens over technicalities from USPS...

02-05-2016, 06:53 AM   #2
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by UserAccessDenied Quote
If he ships the lens back to me, will that nullify our ability to submit a claim for the initial shipment?
My answer to that would logically be "yes". Certainly if one or the other of you has to submit the lens for repair estimate or examination, best that it make no more trips than are necessary.

I am assuming that he is in agreement with you on the standard of packaging and accepts that this is a transit damage issue?

Hope this is resolvable one way or the other. What a godawful thing to happen.
02-05-2016, 07:10 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
My answer to that would logically be "yes". Certainly if one or the other of you has to submit the lens for repair estimate or examination, best that it make no more trips than are necessary.

I am assuming that he is in agreement with you on the standard of packaging and accepts that this is a transit damage issue?

Hope this is resolvable one way or the other. What a godawful thing to happen.
It is very frustrating at the least...
I've never had issues with USPS in the past, I'm hoping they can keep my business by resolving this issue.
02-05-2016, 07:35 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Here is the situation:

A PF member (ebailey001) and myself arranged to trade lenses (My Rokinon 16mm f2 for his DA35 Macro)

I shipped the Rokinon through USPS, 2-day with insurance for $300.

I shipped the lens in optically and structural excellent condition, packaged it well beyond the acceptable standard and had it out the door Monday morning.
He received the lens yesterday, however has noted possible damage to the lens during transit.
The focus housing and front element are now loose and the resulting image quality is drastically affected.

The DA35 Macro is still in transit. Should be here by end of the day today.

I fully intend to return his DA35 Macro, or pay him cash for it, to resolve the unfortunate event here.
However, what's our best course of action with USPS insurance claim?
Has anyone had experience with it?

Should he submit the claim, or should I?

Any assistance here would be greatly appreciated!
I do not want ebailey001 to be burdened with this mishap, however I also do not want to lose a $300 lens over technicalities from USPS...
I have not come across damaged item claims. However, we had a situation that the items was lost. We filed a claim and they returned the money to us (after a month or so) minus the cost of shipping (that part is a loss to you) which I do not understand. Next time when insuring, make sure to add double shipping cost as in case of lose the first shipping cost will not come back to you.

BTW, the insurance is through a third party not USPS.

Last edited by btnapa; 02-05-2016 at 07:36 AM. Reason: moe text
02-05-2016, 08:06 AM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

Good luck...

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/14-general-talk/232370-all-due-respect-screw-you-usps.html

-Heie
02-05-2016, 08:20 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I sure hope things have improved in the few years following your experience!

Why is it so difficult?
The amount I have paid in insurance fees over the last few years would exceed the cost of replacing this lens...
Honestly I'd be content with USPS forking over a check to just cover the cost of sending out to Eric for repair and return postage.
I have a feeling that will be harder to explain than just asking for the full $300 back from insurance.
02-05-2016, 08:33 AM - 3 Likes   #7
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I was going to mention that thread but you beat me to it.

Here's my suggestion on how to handle it:

1. (this is important) Don't deal with USPS directly!
2. Purchase a bottle of your favorite distilled beverage.
3.Hit yourself in the head several times with a hammer or other heavy metal object.
4. Drink the bottle.

The pain will be similar to dealing directly with them (refer to step 1) but it won't last nearly as long and the end result will be the same.

Last edited by Parallax; 02-05-2016 at 08:54 AM.
02-05-2016, 08:41 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
In all honesty, I would like to resolve this.

If anyone has legitimate advice on how to begin such a claim, let us know please.
02-05-2016, 08:42 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Hope this issue goes better than Heie's.
Good luck
02-05-2016, 08:48 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
looks like I need :
Statement of value and/or estimates of repair costs from a reputable dealer

This statement from USPS is extremely vague...
Would an email from Eric be considered a statement of repair costs from a reputable dealer? He is certainly reputable here!
Or a printout from B&H for a Rokinon 16mm, would that be a statement of value from a reputable dealer?
02-05-2016, 09:19 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery

If anyone has legitimate advice on how to begin such a claim, let us know please.
https://www.usps.com/help/claims.htm
02-05-2016, 09:56 AM - 1 Like   #13
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hopefully, if the package showed outside damage, the other party took photos of it before opening. Then more pictures after opening, showing the packaging & lens inside to show how it was packed. These photos would go a long way to settle a claim. Since you paid for the insurance, you will have to make the claim. And yes, if it's shipped back to you before the claim is settled, that would probably void the claim.
02-05-2016, 10:05 AM   #14
Pentaxian

I sure hope things have improved in the few years following your experience!

Why is it so difficult?
The amount I have paid in insurance fees over the last few years would exceed the cost of replacing this lens...
Honestly I'd be content with USPS forking over a check to just cover the cost of sending out to Eric for repair and return postage.
I have a feeling that will be harder to explain than just asking for the full $300 back from insurance.
If they offer the full refund, take the money and run!! As it is, it will take a month if you are lucky to get the money back. Any other arrangement could take longer.
02-05-2016, 10:20 AM   #15

an item over $250 usually requires a signature. this is when you would have the deliverer sign possible damage.