Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-07-2016, 01:13 AM - 2 Likes   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My DA 35mm f:2.8 Ltd. Macro arrived yesterday!

All I can say is..... "Holy Cow!" This is more than I had ever expected! I've been down for the count for the past couple of days with some health issues, but I managed to get out and about the neighborhood and take a few test shots and upon downloading them, it was immediately apparent that I had something very special.

The sharpness and crispness of the images was stunning! I don't have much to compare it with, but it's overall IQ kinda' reminded me of the first time I looked at images from my DA 18-135mm. It has been very overcast with dull skies lately. Cold, windy and not a sign of shadows for several days, so not the best of situations for photography, but it was quite obvious that I had a real winner.

I tried a couple of macro shots and it produced some detail that was neck and neck with my FA-100mm f:2.8 macro.... and that's saying quite a bit!

The physical condition was like brand new. It had a slip-on metal lens cap and it came in a little black bag with draw strings that I assume these lenses come in. I feel very fortunate to own one of these amazing lenses and can't wait till some better weather and my health improves a little so I can get out and REALLY let it shine!

I just checked the weather report and the weatherguesser is calling for "foggy in the morning, with mostly sunny in the afternoon," so maybe, just maybe the Gods will provide me with the wherewithal to get out of the house and play with my new toy!

It came in a bundle with a K-x, with the 18-55mm & 50-200mm "kit lenses." I was delighted to see that the camera had less than 4K shutter actuations. Both lenses proved to be very sharp, especially the 50-200mm. This kit looked, for all intents and purposes, to be right out of the box!

I love it when a plan comes together!

02-07-2016, 01:19 AM   #2
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery
Hi Dewman. Good luck with your health, and the lens. Macro is real fun.
02-07-2016, 01:20 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Congrats! I remember I had a 35 Macro back a couple of years ago, it packs quite a punch for it's small size.
02-07-2016, 01:25 AM   #4
Closed Account

Photos: Albums
Great lens -- you'll have a lot of fun with it

02-07-2016, 01:37 AM   #5
Pentaxian

And welcome to LBA. There are some who think that one hit with a Ltd is OK. That they can live with other lesser lenses. Bwhahahahahaha!
02-07-2016, 02:06 AM   #6
Pentaxian

The DA 35 macro is an amazing lens. My absolute favourite.
02-07-2016, 02:37 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Yep, guys..... I can see that this lens is going to open up some doors to areas I've never been before. I'm really anxious to get out and put it to work!

02-07-2016, 04:32 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Dewman Quote
Yep, guys..... I can see that this lens is going to open up some doors to areas I've never been before. I'm really anxious to get out and put it to work!
Oh dear. Clear symptoms of Limited Lens Buying Addiction (LLBA) developing. Fight it already - there's no time to lose!! In order to be healed from this insidious disease, follow the two links below immediately:

https://500px.com/search?tag=da%2035mm%20macro%20limited&type=photos

The World at 35mm | Lenses | The Northcoast Photographer

If that doesn't help either ... well ... I see little hope.
02-07-2016, 06:38 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The DA35 macro is one of those lenses that 'just works'. Some of the other limiteds can be a bit picky as to when they'll decide to show off what they're capable of, but that's not the case with the 35. If your composition looks right in the viewfinder, click, and it's a keeper! Enjoy your new lens!
02-07-2016, 06:47 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It came in a bundle with a K-x, with the 18-55mm & 50-200mm "kit lenses." I was delighted to see that the camera had less than 4K shutter actuations. Both lenses proved to be very sharp, especially the 50-200mm. This kit looked, for all intents and purposes, to be right out of the box!
You could just about shoot with those three forever and never need another lens. Okay, you might want an inexpensive fast fifty for low light, but seriously, that's a pretty good package right there.
02-07-2016, 06:57 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
You could just about shoot with those three forever and never need another lens. Okay, you might want an inexpensive fast fifty for low light, but seriously, that's a pretty good package right there.

Quite true, Doc. Whoever the previous owner was took exceptional care of all of the components. Not even a finger print on the LED screen! I really struck pay dirt on this deal.... especially for an eBay transaction. By the way, I have the DA-50mm f:1.8 to cover the "fast fifty" for those low-light situations. But.... geez.... I'm not sure I could part with some of the other lenses I own!

I guess it's like a guy (ME?) who collects pocket knives. He might have a hundred or more, but he can only use one at a time. But, after a while, it sorta' becomes a hobby collecting them, be it knives or lenses. Some might think that pocket knives are cheaper..... but 'taint always so!
02-07-2016, 07:34 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
By the way, I have the DA-50mm f:1.8 to cover the "fast fifty" for those low-light situations. But.... geez.... I'm not sure I could part with some of the other lenses I own!
I almost mentioned the DA50/1.8 as the candidate in that respect, but demurred; your lens collection has been in such a massive state of flux lately that I figured I might be telling you the obvious (and I was right). I will happily go out on a limb and state that it's the fifty with which I am happiest on digital. Occasionally I want something a tiny bit faster or need something with an aperture ring, but if DSLR was all I shot, it would be the all around winner. When your digital camera can give usable results (at the facebook level) with 6400, there is IMO no need for that extra half stop for most AF work.
02-07-2016, 07:44 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
I almost mentioned the DA50/1.8 as the candidate in that respect, but demurred; your lens collection has been in such a massive state of flux lately that I figured I might be telling you the obvious (and I was right). I will happily go out on a limb and state that it's the fifty with which I am happiest on digital. Occasionally I want something a tiny bit faster or need something with an aperture ring, but if DSLR was all I shot, it would be the all around winner. When your digital camera can give usable results (at the facebook level) with 6400, there is IMO no need for that extra half stop for most AF work.

That little 50 is one of the most amazing lenses I've ever used! I like it so much, I sold my Pentax-M 50mm f:1.4.
02-07-2016, 08:13 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Enjoy it!
02-07-2016, 08:15 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
Enjoy it!

The weatherman is calling for mostly sunny after 11 a.m., so I might just have to get out and see what kind of trouble I can get into!