Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
02-12-2016, 09:39 AM   #31
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Driline Quote
I have no doubts that the Pentax HD 1.4 is a much superior TC over the Tamron I purchased and well worth the $450 price it commands.I want to make that perfectly clear. And someday I will probably own one. Just not this day
I apologize if I came across as attempting to diminish your results. I'd actually say your sample pics are better than results I've gotten out of similar shots with my lenses. Trust me, I begrudgingly ponied up for the Pentax TC, because it was either that or spend 1700 on the 150-450. I went the cheaper way first.

I'm honestly very happy for you because I don't see a whole lot of reason to spend more based on those images. The only suggestion I could make for your testing would be to try a test subject at 50+ feet away with some finer details. It's the darn fur texture and bird feathers that really challenge lens optics.

The never ending quest for greater focal lengths that don't require a second mortgage can be quite frustrating, especially given the limited options in K-mount.

02-12-2016, 09:52 AM   #32
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by nomadkng Quote
I apologize if I came across as attempting to diminish your results. I'd actually say your sample pics are better than results I've gotten out of similar shots with my lenses. Trust me, I begrudgingly ponied up for the Pentax TC, because it was either that or spend 1700 on the 150-450. I went the cheaper way first.

I'm honestly very happy for you because I don't see a whole lot of reason to spend more based on those images. The only suggestion I could make for your testing would be to try a test subject at 50+ feet away with some finer details. It's the darn fur texture and bird feathers that really challenge lens optics.

The never ending quest for greater focal lengths that don't require a second mortgage can be quite frustrating, especially given the limited options in K-mount.
No apologies needed here. I just wanted to reiterate that in no way does this Tamron replace or supplant the new Pentax HD TC. I purchased the Tamron merely on the research and suggestions of others here on this forum who stated that it will in fact work well with the F*300. Hey didn't I buy a Pentax BG-4 battery grip from you in the marketplace ?
02-12-2016, 10:06 AM   #33
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Driline Quote
No apologies needed here. I just wanted to reiterate that in no way does this Tamron replace or supplant the new Pentax HD TC. I purchased the Tamron merely on the research and suggestions of others here on this forum who stated that it will in fact work well with the F*300. Hey didn't I buy a Pentax BG-4 battery grip from you in the marketplace ?
only if you love it and it's still working great.....lol

it's very possible, I've kinda lost track of everyone I've done business with and I think some of feedback records have been lost.
02-12-2016, 10:07 AM   #34
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I am assuming the Pentax HD TC is FF? I may start saving up for it with that positive feedback. thx

02-12-2016, 12:07 PM   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mikeSF Quote
I am assuming the Pentax HD TC is FF? I may start saving up for it with that positive feedback. thx
It does say DA not DFA...
02-12-2016, 12:28 PM   #36
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My own tests with the 1.4X TC on both a 300 f4 and 150~450, using an Edmund resolution chart, indicated better IQ retained on the zoom than the SFL lens, ttotally contrary to my expectations. The 300 + 1.4 was not as good as the 150-450 @ 450mm without the TC, and the 150~450 with TC @ 630mm was about as good as the 300 + TC, again, not at all what I expected. (BTW: all my tests run at f8, thinking that would give the best IQ). (results posted in a different thread).
02-12-2016, 02:02 PM   #37
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nomadkng Quote
I own the Vivitar 1.4, Kenko 1.5 SHQ Pz etc,, Sigma 1.4 and now the Pentax HD 1.4 TC.
when you say the sigma do you mean this one

Sigma X1.4 Tele Converter AF Lens Reviews - Miscellaneous Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database

because this is the one I have and it is awesome (I have three actually and there is no sample variation to speak of).

I have no appreciation for the more recent sigma TC (EX?)

02-12-2016, 02:09 PM   #38
Veteran Member

it was the newer DG variant, both are EX

I had the older non dg for a little while, until I found out it wouldn't work with the 50-500 I had at the time. never really shot with it and sold it.
02-12-2016, 02:13 PM   #39
Veteran Member

Yes the older variant (film days) does not have the HSM contacts. It is, however, 5 elements and seems to work really well.
02-12-2016, 05:19 PM   #40
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
Nice images. I especially like the hooded merganser.

I'm not sure whether our disagreement with TC AF is due to differing expectations or a difference in capability between auto-focus on the DA*60-250 vs. the DA*300mm. It would be a waste of time to try and shoot birds in flight with the DA*300 and an off-brand TC. I've heard this expressed by others as well. The Pentax TC is nearly as capable with the DA*300 as without. I've also heard people say that their 60-250 works fine with a PZ TC. Would you be able to shoot birds in flight with your setup?
Thank you, the Merganser was a pleasant surprise since I rarely see them here. I think I could do a bird in flight with the 60-250 plus the TC as long as I had enough light. That lens is f4 so at f5.6 with the TC I do not see why not. The biggest challenge is to get a fast enough shutter speed.

This is as close as I have come with the 60-250 and it is not very great. My shutter speed was only 1/800 and my ISO was at 2500, apeture was f5.6 or f8 with the TC. . The sun was going down too, it is in the upper left. But it did lock focus. I just have not been able to get back out since.