Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-08-2016, 05:58 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Most others are taking a kit lens? Go with the 16-50 and the 77. You'll already have way more than anyone else. If you're going for all day, you really want to keep the weight down. I'd just go with my 18-135.

Going with a couple of lenses like the 16-50 and 50-135 could possibly make you prepared for anything, but they could also mean you are the grumpiest and most worn out at the end of the day.

02-08-2016, 06:07 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Your widest lens, tripod and hand-holdable flash to "paint with light" during long exposures.
02-08-2016, 06:09 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

OK, some general advice, nothing specific. Here's what I do

1. Research where I'm going and what I'm likely to photograph
2. Based on 1, pick the lenses that will cover what's likely (if not sure I'll go a little wider and a little longer, probably zooms if I'm uncertain)
3. I don't take "just in case" lenses. Take what you'll need for what you're shooting (your back will thank you, and you'll be less likely to accidentally drop something)
4. Always a tripod
5. Always a remote
6. Always extra batteries and memory cards
7. Always a rocket blower and lens pen (just in case I get something on an element that needs to come off)

Sounds like you'll be shooting after dark so wide apertures. Everything you've listed is at least f2.8 so that shouldn't be an issue. If you have light/can see what you're doing then lens swaps won't be too bad. If it's really dark then consider a flashlight. Just don't turn it on during someone else's long exposure.
02-08-2016, 08:54 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lithedreamer Quote
DA* 16-50
Carbon Fibre Tripod /w spike/rubber feet
Wireless remote
Extra batteries
My Lightroom catalog on a tiiiiny SSD.
Legal pad and pens (we're also seeing a speaker indoors for the first hour).
water bottle + chocolate chip cookies
Sounds like outdoors, dark, lots of people. I'd keep it simple and stick with the above from your list (you mistakenly didn't have cookies on your list?). I picked the 16-50 as it's your widest, but I'd also be tempted to just take your 35mm macro and the most compact tripod/support you have available. A little flashlight would also be handy.

Knowing the purpose of the outing, type of surroundings, expected light conditions, how far from 'home base' you'll be straying, and what you'd likely want to photograph would go a good distance to help with the planning.

02-08-2016, 09:11 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Another vote for the 16-50 and 77.
Tripod, remote and external flash.
02-08-2016, 10:42 PM - 1 Like   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for the input, everyone!

Walking to school I swapped between my 43, 77 and 50-135.

When we got into town, I set up my tripod and took my favourite shot of the night with my 43mm and my tripod. Later, I went down to the dock and set up my camera's intervalometer, but everyone was ready to go before I could actually get star trails going. I snagged that second photo then, at 17.5mm.

Some statistics:
16-50 - 32 shots
50-135 - 21 shots
43 - 64 shots
77 - 22 shots

I intended to use my macro because some interesting sealife showed up, but my camera was already busy with its intervalometer stuff. Besides that, changing lenses on the dock made me really nervous. I was able to share my tripod with a classmate and showed her how to take pictures like the one my 43mm recorded, her pictures turned out really well, too! Another classmate was able to borrow my lenspen.

All in all, I don't regret bringing anything I did, only that I had to leave so early.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-30  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-30  Photo 
02-08-2016, 11:43 PM   #22
Veteran Member

I was going to say bring the 31 and the 50-135, or just the limiteds, but looks like you found your setup.

02-09-2016, 01:07 AM   #23

I was going to say bring nothing but the body and a body cap; poke a small hole in the center of the body cap; find a ledge; and record some long-exposure action. But it looks like you did OK.

---------- Post added 02-09-16 at 02:08 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by lithedreamer Quote
. . . Boats! . . .
OK. NOT a black and white fan, but that photo of the boats is AWESOME! One of the few black-and-white photos I've ever seen that I didn't wish was in color.