Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
02-11-2016, 09:31 PM   #31
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by amoringello Quote
FYI, now you're just sounding ignorant or at least argumentative for the sake of arguing.
No more ignorant that the rest of us, just grumpy...

Steve

02-11-2016, 09:43 PM   #32
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
Advance still has yet to get back with me, in writing (email), that they can get parts for my lens (I told them a DA* 50-135mm -- clearly still made and parts available).
I spoke with Advance today and asked them specifically about parts for the DA* lenses. What I was told is that they have full access to Ricoh USA's parts inventory. I suspect that whether they can get the parts for your lens depends on the nature of the failure/damage. Some things are simply never stocked as service parts. I.e. it is not possible to build up a lens from scratch. This is true across brands and is not limited to camera stuff.

Steve
02-11-2016, 09:46 PM   #33
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I spoke with Advance today
Speaking of Advance Camera, I posted a new thread today intended as a clearing house for Pentax repair resources. With any luck, it will not degenerate into another rant arena.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/6-pentax-dslr-discussion/313800-options-pentax-repair.html

Steve
02-17-2016, 04:21 PM   #34
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Replacement lens has arrived in full retail packaging. Passes optical testing at both 60mm and 250mm (but needed some AF adjustment for optimal sharpness).

02-17-2016, 11:50 PM   #35
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bwDraco Quote
Replacement lens has arrived in full retail packaging. Passes optical testing at both 60mm and 250mm (but needed some AF adjustment for optimal sharpness).
Congratulations, good to hear some good news.

Tony
02-22-2016, 05:40 AM   #36

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
The best thing about Sun Camera who do warranty repairs in Canada, is that they hired two of the Pentax trained technicians when they took the contract. So at least you know there are a couple of technicians with a long Pentax history.
Yes Sun Camera are very good, the problem si Ricoh service, this is not good for the brand. What do we have to do, to wake them up!
02-22-2016, 10:09 AM   #37
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by PParent418 Quote
Yes Sun Camera are very good, the problem si Ricoh service
It is my understanding that they are one and the same.

Steve

02-22-2016, 11:37 AM   #38

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
It is my understanding that they are one and the same.

Steve
Yes, at first I contacted ''info@us.ricoh-imaging.com'' in the US, that's were it didn't go to well. ... It's the store Camera Canada that suggested me ''Sun Camera'' in Canada. I noticed that they are now on Ricoh-Imaging americas service page. I don't know if they were there at the time. The authorized repair does the difference. Thank Steve.
03-04-2016, 11:19 PM   #39
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bxf Quote
I've heard of this type of business practice with products other than cameras, and not in the US. Is this actually legal? Can a manufacturer force a consumer to use specific repair shops when the work is not under warranty? This would mean that the designated shops (i.e. the ones to which the manufacturer will supply parts) can charge whatever they want.

I find this hard to believe that this is legal.
I see your point. Yes, unfortunately it is legal. All the OEM has to say is that, "these parts were more expensive to produce now than in the past and in order for us to turn a profit, we have to have these increases". Sadly, they hold all the wild cards. Not much a customer can do other than switch brands.

Tony