Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-11-2016, 10:14 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
There was a tremendous upswing in 3rd-party K-mount support back in 2006 with the release of the K10D and K100D.
I wonder what the lag time on decisions like these are. Upswing in 2006 because of release of new cameras, Pentax finally moving forward with digital. Downswing from 2010 on because it appeared in 2010 that there was a significant chance of Pentax going under. Upswing in 2016 with release of FF and other new products????

I think sometimes we expect companies to "turn on a dime" and instantly turn on or off the tap. But I think the reality is that these are long term decisions that are years in the making, and take years to reverse. The momentum is still there after a decision has been made, even after the factors that caused the decision have changed.

02-11-2016, 10:34 PM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by NewPTXuser Quote
Hi! I recently purchased a K-3II. I'm very happy with it

The thing is that I'm currently looking for lenses, and can't find more alternatives than Pentax itself (expensive), and a very few Tamron and Sigma zoom lenses.
I switched from Canon and the difference in lenses availability is -let's face it- big and more new lenses are being produced by Sigma, Tamron, Tokina, etc for Canicon.
Photo magazines have big ads from these companies offering their wonderful new lenses, but sadly not for Pentax mount...

I don't regret switching to Pentax due to it's high image quality and features (pixel shift resolution is superb) but this lens thing is bugging me a little.

What are your thoughts about this?
No problemo! Just check the sig below...

My only problem now, is that I have to buy 2 new 3rd-party cabinets, to store all my gear in... ;-)
02-12-2016, 06:38 AM   #18
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by zantaphia Quote
My only problem now, is that I have to buy 2 new 3rd-party cabinets, to store all my gear in... ;-)
If Pentax were really smart, it would sell gear cabinets (with, of course, a cute little slide-out tray with spaces for the Limiteds).

Business plan -- sell gear, sell cabinets for stowing gear, sell more gear to fill up cabinets... [Lather, rinse, repeat...]

Last edited by fwcetus; 02-12-2016 at 07:14 AM.
02-12-2016, 06:50 AM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by fwcetus Quote
If Pentax were really smart, it would sell gear cabinets (with, of course, a cute little slide-out tray with spaces for the Limiteds).

Business plan -- sell gear, sell cabinets for stowing gear, sell more gear to fill up cabinets... [Rinse, repeat...]

I don't know about any business plan that doesn't involve collecting underwear...

02-12-2016, 11:52 AM   #20

QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote
...I think what we miss most from the shortage of third party choices are more affordable alternatives to the Pentax range amongst new lenses... Just as one example, the Tamron/Sigma 150-600 is about half the price of the Pentax DA 150-450.
Yes you can dip into the second-hand market for say a 70-200 f2.8 but that isn't a complete answer.
Exactly what I think...
02-12-2016, 12:02 PM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
I don't know about any business plan that doesn't involve collecting underwear...
You mean like this?

02-12-2016, 05:23 PM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
I wonder what the lag time on decisions like these are. Upswing in 2006 because of release of new cameras, Pentax finally moving forward with digital. Downswing from 2010 on because it appeared in 2010 that there was a significant chance of Pentax going under. Upswing in 2016 with release of FF and other new products????

I think sometimes we expect companies to "turn on a dime" and instantly turn on or off the tap. But I think the reality is that these are long term decisions that are years in the making, and take years to reverse. The momentum is still there after a decision has been made, even after the factors that caused the decision have changed.
Neither Pentax nor the TPM's operates in a vacuum. The TPM's see what Ricoh is doing; Ricoh might call on TPM's to explain in a general way their business plan and financial commitment to Pentax. The current state of the dSLR market could be as large a factor as the (supposedly) small Pentax market share.

02-20-2016, 06:40 AM   #23

There are not accesories like the Kenko AF extension tubes for example, either... I've just discovered
02-20-2016, 06:47 AM   #24
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Amoon Quote
There are not accesories like the Kenko AF extension tubes for example, either... I've just discovered
Why would you want autofocus when doing macros with extension tubes?
02-20-2016, 03:30 PM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Do you think we should start a new forum sub section for newbie Pentaxian's where we can undo some of the lobotomisation they have received photographically from the other brands and smartphones? -just thinking out loud
Ref the original posters question, some of the 3rd parties have nice zoom and prime designs, I think Pentax thought ahead of you with the FF and picked up 2 highly rated designs before you (15-30/2.8 & 24-70) from Tamron, possibly because they knew and trusted the lead designer.I would like Zeiss to start doing ZK designs again, because they would fill a void in our wider prime end but they are expensive and pretty esoteric. Sigma is an interesting case, their ART designs have been raved about because they bench exceptionally well but they have a very different design philosophy from Pentax in that they will throw elements and glass at the problem whereas Pentax will rather lose a stop in aperture and put overall rendering in place of numbers and a nice small design.
I see you use the K-3, in the view of Pentax your lineup would be the DA* range of 16-50/2.8 & 50-135/2.8 or a very nice wide to telephoto lineup of 16-50/2.8 & 55/1.4 & 60-250/4. There is a DA* lens club here where you can judge for yourself the capabilities of these lens designs. There are quite impressive once you figure them out.
S!
Robbie