Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-11-2016, 08:03 PM   #1
Forum Member

New to Pentax - Legacy glass & auto focus

Nice forum! Looking to get back into the DSLR game and am shopping for a Pentax. Quick question regarding legacy Pentax glass and auto focus.

My last DSLR was a Nikon D70 a decade ago - that camera had a focus motor built in (unlike the new Nikon entry level cameras) and could auto focus the older Nikon AF-D glass. My favorite lens was a 60mm AF-D micro, 1:1, ridiculously sharp, sharp, sharp and functioned perfectly with a DSLR (metering, auto focus worked fine).

My question is, which film era Pentax glass will auto focus and work with say K30/50/5/2 , etc, etc? From reading past threads I'm guessing any FA glass will work fine. The SMC FA 50mm f1.4 for example looks like a great lens. What about off-brands, such as older Sigma and Tamron, etc,?

Just want to confirm before spending my hard earned cash.

Thanks.

02-11-2016, 08:06 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Every Pentax autofocus lens, with one exception*, will work with the current DSLRs. SDM and DC lenses will not work with the oldest Pentax DSLRs or the film SLRs.

Pentax K-Mount Lenses Explained: The differences between various Pentax lens series

*The exception is the Pentax-AF 35-70/4 made for the ME F.
02-11-2016, 08:35 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Senko Quote
which film era Pentax glass will auto focus and work with say K30/50/5/2
Like Boriscleto says, all of them. With the single exception which I really doubt you will ever see in the real world, though one pops up on ebay every once in a while. And they work with all modern bodies, not just some of them like Nikon.

Take a look here for some ideas on glass: Pentax Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database Read Boriscletos link first so you understand the capabilities of the different series.
02-11-2016, 08:54 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice forum! Looking to get back into the DSLR game and am shopping for a Pentax. Quick question regarding legacy Pentax glass and auto focus.

My last DSLR was a Nikon D70 a decade ago - that camera had a focus motor built in (unlike the new Nikon entry level cameras) and could auto focus the older Nikon AF-D glass. My favorite lens was a 60mm AF-D micro, 1:1, ridiculously sharp, sharp, sharp and functioned perfectly with a DSLR (metering, auto focus worked fine).

My question is, which film era Pentax glass will auto focus and work with say K30/50/5/2 , etc, etc? From reading past threads I'm guessing any FA glass will work fine. The SMC FA 50mm f1.4 for example looks like a great lens. What about off-brands, such as older Sigma and Tamron, etc,?

Just want to confirm before spending my hard earned cash.

Thanks.
Check out our new lens search page

Here's a link to all AF lenses:
Genuine Pentax lenses with Autofocus

For Sigma, Tokina, and Tamron, it can be a bit tricker to find AF lenses from the lens name alone. If you see the "DG", "DC", or "EX" prefixes (Sigma) or Di (Tamron), you should be safe. Refer to our third-party database for pictures of these lenses:
Pentax Lenses by Sigma, Tamron, Zeiss, and more - Reviews and Specification Database - Pentax Lens Review Database

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-11-2016, 09:38 PM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks guys.

---------- Post added 02-11-16 at 09:40 PM ----------

Let me add, The lens search page is great.

Very slick website, nice work.
02-11-2016, 10:50 PM   #6

Something I don't often seen mentioned that's nice about Pentax is any third party autofocus lens will work, so as long as the focus mechanism works. Ever hear about a Nikon or Canon photographer try and use their old Sigma or Tokina autofocus lens only to find the modern camera doesn't recognize the lens and gives an error? Won't happen with Pentax.
02-12-2016, 06:00 AM   #7
Pentaxian

My question is, which film era Pentax glass will auto focus and work with say K30/50/5/2 , etc, etc? From reading past threads I'm guessing any FA glass will work fine.
You can also utilize the SMC Pentax F series. There are some highly regarded Af lenses among those.

02-12-2016, 06:10 AM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Oldbayrunner Quote
You can also utilize the SMC Pentax F series. There are some highly regarded Af lenses among those.
Thanks, so basically what I'm gathering here is that SMC F and FA both work with AF on a modern DSLR.
02-12-2016, 06:59 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Thanks, so basically what I'm gathering here is that SMC F and FA both work with AF on a modern DSLR.
Correct
02-12-2016, 07:15 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The only difference in functionality between F and FA is that the FA lenses will transmit MTF data to the camera for the MTF program line. But the mid-range cameras dons't support the MTF program line, so it may not matter much to you...