Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-13-2016, 01:37 AM - 2 Likes   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The greatest feature of the 77ltd. to me is that you feel like a decent photographer as soon as you mount it to your camera

[IMG][/IMG]

02-13-2016, 02:14 AM - 1 Like   #17
Veteran Member

This is simple...... say a good looking girl walks past..... then you have a few beers..... and the good looking girl walks past again..... this time though..... you stare more and go wow (quietly to oneself of course, as we are sophisticated Pentaxians) ....... thats the FA limited type effect.
02-13-2016, 02:38 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Legends say that the Elven-kings of old taught a young sage from the Far East the art of glass design. Within his works shone the elves' love for eternal beauty!

On a serious note, it is a fairly fast yet compact, sharp and renders colors very naturally. Fringing's bad tho
02-13-2016, 02:44 AM   #19
hcc
Pentaxian

I love my FA7mm because of the colours, the number of keepers and a very special feel. It is also metallic, petite and beautiful.

My FA77mm is the my preferred lens for portrait, because it gives the best portrait shots. Full stop.

02-13-2016, 02:56 AM   #20
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

When I have the option of using the FA77 on both APS-C and Full Frame DSLR's, it will be my one stop portrait shop. The DA*55 will be largely relegated to fast fifty status.
02-13-2016, 03:01 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by noelpolar Quote
This is simple...... say a good looking girl walks past..... then you have a few beers..... and the good looking girl walks past again..... this time though..... you stare more and go wow (quietly to oneself of course, as we are sophisticated Pentaxians) ....... thats the FA limited type effect.
Ohhh I see so to get the effect of the FA 77 you have to have a few beers first. lol
02-13-2016, 03:07 AM - 2 Likes   #22
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
At least a dozen pixies are ground up for the manufacture of each FA77.

02-13-2016, 04:06 AM   #23
Pentaxian

Better than any/all words... https://www.flickr.com/groups/1417012@N20/pool/
02-13-2016, 04:21 AM - 5 Likes   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I guess to me the two biggest features of the FA 77 that make it special are the fact that it is sharp wide open and that it can have pretty amazing rendering of out of focus areas. My experience with most 50-ish mm lenses is that they need to be stopped down a fair amount to achieve a similar level of sharpness, while the FA 77 can be shot wide open without problem (as long as you don't mind the narrow depth of field). The DA *55 has similar sharpness, but it is every bit as expensive a lens.

Shot at f2.2

at f2

at f4

02-13-2016, 06:39 AM   #25
bxf
Veteran Member

I don't understand all this mumbo jumbo. All I manage is stuff like this:

https://app.box.com/s/nnmzsq7nm5iiwmq0f68879im6myxg5ge

Last edited by bxf; 02-13-2016 at 06:52 AM.
02-13-2016, 06:47 AM   #26
Veteran Member

I am not a professional photographer like most on this board but just love taking pictures and know what I am looking for, I purchased the DA50 f1.8 to take portrait photos of my grand daughter and just did not like what I saw. I then purchased the DA*55 f1.4 and this is a great lens and I like the results but LBA hit me and I had to have the FA77. This is one great lens, like others say "magical'
02-13-2016, 06:59 AM   #27
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by hcc Quote
I love my FA7mm because of the colours, the number of keepers and a very special feel. It is also metallic, petite and beautiful.

My FA77mm is the my preferred lens for portrait, because it gives the best portrait shots. Full stop.
QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
When I have the option of using the FA77 on both APS-C and Full Frame DSLR's, it will be my one stop portrait shop. The DA*55 will be largely relegated to fast fifty status.
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I guess to me the two biggest features of the FA 77 that make it special are the fact that it is sharp wide open and that it can have pretty amazing rendering of out of focus areas. My experience with most 50-ish mm lenses is that they need to be stopped down a fair amount to achieve a similar level of sharpness, while the FA 77 can be shot wide open without problem (as long as you don't mind the narrow depth of field). The DA *55 has similar sharpness, but it is every bit as expensive a lens.
The question was posed, "Why not the FA50 [for portraits] in APSC format?" These respected contributors have hit the nail on the head. I had the Trio, and this may be blasphemy, but I let the 31 go in favor of the DA 35 Ltd. However, I will never part with the 77! I was shooting portraits for a friend, using both the DA*55, and the 77. While the 55 is no slouch, the 77 blew it away consistently. The 55 just couldn't be counted on to deliver the goods at wide apertures the way the 77 can, and nowadays for portraits I won't even bother with any other lens. And, the 77 is also much more than just for portraits! Other lenses may come and go, but the 77 is a keeper.
02-13-2016, 08:27 AM - 1 Like   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
At least a dozen pixies are ground up for the manufacture of each FA77.
I hope they're being farmed responsibly so we have pixies for future lenses
02-13-2016, 09:10 AM   #29
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Now, the reason why the 77 Ltd produces a specific 3D effect versus a similar but newer lens design such as the HD 70mm Ltd, is the gradient of sharpness between the center and the edges.
YES. The definition of a classic film-era lens design, intentionally for the taste of viewers at the time on prints, versus the more modern edge-to-edge sharpness style, which suits modern taste for viewing on sharp, wide monitors.

Interesting how we nevertheless gravitate to the classic rendering for portraits.
02-13-2016, 09:11 AM - 1 Like   #30
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by noelpolar Quote
This is simple...... a good looking girl..... a few beers..... the FA limited type effect.
Sounds like paradise to me!