Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-13-2016, 06:05 AM - 2 Likes   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
BATTLE OF THE ULTRA WIDES IN THE WORKS! 10-17 vs 8 vs 8-16 vs 10

EDIT: I know it's been a long time coming, but I promised you it would be worth it

NOW LIVE:

Ultra Wide Angle 4-Lens Showdown

In the spirit of transparency and expectation management, just wanted to announce that a new review has gotten the green light (although don't hold your breath - the final publication is going to be a while because of how much there is involved in this review). It's one that Adam and I have talked about for quite some time, and now it's really happening

That, and for all of you who have no intention of upgrading to the K-1 full frame, we also wanted to reaffirm that PF's commitment remains to everything Pentax and Ricoh - including APS-C.

The intent behind this review was to compare once and for all the 4 widest lenses currently available for K mount (for the APS-C sized sensor)*. Two from the Rectilinear side (one prime, one zoom), and two from the Fisheye side (one prime, one zoom).

For those with extensive UWA experience, anything specific you'd like to see attention brought to? Right now I have my sights set on flare, field of view (indoors and out), starbursts, close focus and bokeh, and astrophotography (this one will be tricky - I live in a pretty heavily light polluted area, and that doesn't negate how we seem to have had some perpetual cloud cover at night).

Name:  IMGP8321.jpg
Views: 1717
Size:  313.8 KB

So if you could only choose one, which would you select?

-Heie

*Yes, there is the Sigma 4.5mm Fisheye, however it's so incredibly niche as a circular fisheye (the other two are diagonal) that it didn't warrant inclusion.

Last edited by Heie; 06-23-2016 at 06:33 AM.
02-13-2016, 06:28 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I have the Rokinon 8, and also the Tamron 10-24 which still seems available.
02-13-2016, 06:38 AM - 2 Likes   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Heie Quote
For those with extensive UWA experience, anything specific you'd like to see attention brought to? Right now I have my sights set on flare, field of view (indoors and out), starbursts, close focus and bokeh, and astrophotography (this one will be tricky - I live in a pretty heavily light polluted area, and that doesn't negate how we seem to have had some perpetual cloud cover at night).
Colour fringing (CA, purple etc) especially at frame edges and corners. Take some shots that include fine bare tree branches against blue sky. It would also be interesting to see the FE shots defished to compare with the rectilinears. And post uncropped FoV comparisons (cityscape with plenty of straight lines and horizon at the centre would be nice, for example).
02-13-2016, 06:40 AM   #4

Photos: Albums
For those with extensive UWA experience, anything specific you'd like to see attention brought to?
To what extent is there an issue with field curvature, also known as “curvature of field”?
This is a common optical problem that causes a flat object to appear sharp only in a certain parts of the frame (the SMC DA 15 Limited is only sharp in the middle of the frame), instead of being uniformly sharp across the frame.
This is due to the curved nature of optical elements, which project the image in a curved manner, rather than flat. As all digital camera sensors are flat, they cannot capture the entire image in perfect focus.
Thanks!

I have the SMC DA 10-17mm - Excellent!

Last edited by Time Traveller; 02-13-2016 at 08:16 AM.
02-13-2016, 06:41 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I did choose only one--the Sigma. Interested to see how it fares.
02-13-2016, 06:44 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Actually, including the DA15 in the review might not be a bad idea.
02-13-2016, 06:48 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I too have the Sigma. Haven't really used it much yet.
Taking it to London next weekend for some long exposure night shots along the Thames.
May take the da 15mm along to compare.

02-13-2016, 07:27 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I look forward to reading this review.

I rented the 10-17mm several times, and I found it to be a great lens, and a great deal at teh currnet price of $305. Since I already have a Takumar 17mm, I was mostly using the 10-17mm on the 10mm fisheye end. Having figured out what gap I really wanted to fill, when a used fisheye 8mm Rokinon came up for sale on PF, I was very interested, and after reading the reviews and viewing many pictures, I wasn't hesitant to buy it. I have had it for about a week now, and I definitely got my money's worth, very sharp, easy to use.
02-13-2016, 07:28 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Papa Lazarou Quote
I too have the Sigma. Haven't really used it much yet.
Taking it to London next weekend for some long exposure night shots along the Thames.
May take the da 15mm along to compare.
Ha. I will be in London next weekend also
02-13-2016, 07:29 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Some info on how well the k-3 exposes with those lenses. I've got the 8-16, and the metering is way off when I use it...
02-13-2016, 07:34 AM   #11

Good luck with the review, i am looking forward to it!

Also, bringing to your attention this study by fellow forum member interested_observer that could provide ideas and insight towards your research:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/10-pentax-slr-lens-discussion/235102-uwa-...omparison.html

Btw, why not include the 12-24 from Pentax into this?
02-13-2016, 07:35 AM   #12
Veteran Member

I recently acquired the 10-17, just waiting for springtime temperatures to really put it through its paces in the great outdoors, but I'm very pleased by and impressed with the lens so far.
02-13-2016, 07:41 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Hattifnatt Quote
Ha. I will be in London next weekend also
I shall keep.an eye out for a fellow Pentaxian. Always do.
02-13-2016, 07:41 AM   #14

In the spirit of transparency and expectation management, just wanted to announce that a new review has gotten the green light (although don't hold your breath - the final publication is going to be a while because of how much there is involved in this review). It's one that Adam and I have talked about for quite some time, and now it's really happening

That, and for all of you who have no intention of upgrading to the K-1 full frame, we also wanted to reaffirm that PF's commitment remains to everything Pentax and Ricoh - including APS-C.

The intent behind this review was to compare once and for all the 4 widest lenses currently available for K mount (for the APS-C sized sensor)*. Two from the Rectilinear side (one prime, one zoom), and two from the Fisheye side (one prime, one zoom).

Attachment 298561

-Heie

*Yes, there is the Sigma 4.5mm Fisheye, however it's so incredibly niche as a circular fisheye (the other two are diagonal) that it didn't warrant inclusion.
I have tried the Pentax 10-17, didnt like it
I have also tried the Sigma 8-16, which I find nice, but not fast enough for Aurora Borealis
I use the Sigma 10mm f/2,8 fisheye. I jus love it. Sharp, fast, and resistant against flair.
Please take a look: Sigma 10mm F2.8 EX DC HSM Fisheye Lens Reviews - Sigma Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database
02-13-2016, 07:46 AM   #15
Closed Account

Used for 360 panoramas the DA* 10-17mm fish-eye is bad for capturing ugly looking flares as explained in my post here:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/10-pentax-slr-lens-discussion/262118-da-1...ml#post2816247
This problem seems to exist and is common only in the corners where this lens is - as with many others - not completely usable. I get away with it because of the stitching done in PTGuy.

Interesting to find out how how other lens fare in this case.