Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-18-2016, 10:59 AM - 1 Like   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
You know, I'd have thought a plastic bag would be a bad idea... You'd potentially get condensation inside that too, wouldn't you?

If I'm going from one temperature extreme to another, I leave my gear in a padded camera bag and let the temperature slowly equalise. I do the same with international parcels now, too, as any that have come by air freight are often freezing cold. Now I open the main cardboard box and leave the parcel to stand in a warm room of the house for a couple of hours, by which time the temperature difference isn't so extreme.
No, The outside of the bag will condensate instead of the lens, the other part that is better is to place a pack of silica gel in the baggie to absorb any possible moisture inside. Usually like you I just keep my equipment inside my padded bag but If I am going from one extreme change to another I place my equipment in a baggie with silica and place them in my padded bag to sit for a bit. I keep loose baggies in my pack just in case.

02-18-2016, 11:01 AM   #17

Original Poster
Wow. That's some detailed and impressive explanations. Thanks
02-18-2016, 11:18 AM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Oldbayrunner Quote
No, The outside of the bag will condensate instead of the lens, the other part that is better is to place a pack of silica gel in the baggie to absorb any possible moisture inside. Usually like you I just keep my equipment inside my padded bag but If I am going from one extreme change to another I place my equipment in a baggie with silica and place them in my padded bag to sit for a bit. I keep loose baggies in my pack just in case.
Very handy to know - thanks for that!

Silica gel bags are always a good idea. I have them in each section of my hard camera cases, and each pocket of my camera bag...
02-18-2016, 01:14 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Silica gel bags are always a good idea. I have them in each section of my hard camera cases, and each pocket of my camera bag...
Just remember shelf life of those is very short. Hours sometimes if exposed to a lot of humidity. They are designed to work in a sealed container and remove any moisture inside it. But once exposed to outside air they get 'filled up' very quickly. They can be renewed by heating at very low temp to drive off the moisture, but different brands have different reactions so check the specs before tossing them in the oven

02-18-2016, 01:50 PM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Just remember shelf life of those is very short. Hours sometimes if exposed to a lot of humidity. They are designed to work in a sealed container and remove any moisture inside it. But once exposed to outside air they get 'filled up' very quickly. They can be renewed by heating at very low temp to drive off the moisture, but different brands have different reactions so check the specs before tossing them in the oven
Good point. I habitually replace mine every few months (I keep a stock of them in a zip-lock bag with most of the air sucked out). I didn't know you could evaporate the moisture from them, though... that's interesting. Makes sense, of course, but I'd never considered it. Thanks for the tip!

EDIT: Question - is there any way to tell if a silica gel bag has absorbed all it will absorb?
02-18-2016, 02:16 PM   #21
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Good point. I habitually replace mine every few months (I keep a stock of them in a zip-lock bag with most of the air sucked out). I didn't know you could evaporate the moisture from them, though... that's interesting. Makes sense, of course, but I'd never considered it. Thanks for the tip!

EDIT: Question - is there any way to tell if a silica gel bag has absorbed all it will absorb?
Buy the Pelican 1500D Peli 40 Gram. It has an aluminum case with a window showing the silica gel beads. When dry, the beads are orange. When full of moisture they are colourless.
02-18-2016, 02:25 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Some brands will change color. I think the ones that just come in packets with stuff do not.

Here is some info I found:
Jake's - Silica Gel - Instructions for Use and Reactivation

My wife has a very nice food dehydrator that works a treat.
02-18-2016, 02:51 PM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Some brands will change color. I think the ones that just come in packets with stuff do not.

Here is some info I found:
Jake's - Silica Gel - Instructions for Use and Reactivation
Cool. I'll take a look at that - much appreciated.

My wife has a very nice food dehydrator that works a treat.
Food dehydrator? Forgive my ignorance - is that for making your (her) own dried foods?? I find that almost as interesting as keeping my kit dry (seriously)

---------- Post added 02-18-2016 at 09:54 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by pete-tarmigan Quote
Buy the Pelican 1500D Peli 40 Gram. It has an aluminum case with a window showing the silica gel beads. When dry, the beads are orange. When full of moisture they are colourless.
Wow, that's excellent! Will research it some more, but this could be the start of my SBA (Silica Buying Addiction)

Thanks for the info, Pete

02-19-2016, 03:37 AM   #24
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
They can be renewed by heating at very low temp to drive off the moisture, but different brands have different reactions so check the specs before tossing them in the oven
A few minutes in the microwave does the trick. Don't overdo it.

http://qqjky.qjhbf.servertrust.com/v/vspfiles/info/Silica%20Gel.pdf
02-19-2016, 12:20 PM   #25

Mine fogged really badly after taking a knock. I'm still getting it warrantied by my Third Party folks because the hood mount is coming off now.

TBH, I don't think the kit zoom is the best weather dealing out there.
02-19-2016, 03:52 PM   #26
Veteran Member

It's not up to par with the and e DA* but it they still do one heck of a job. The main thing is not to stand in a torrential rain zooming away.