Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
02-13-2016, 11:16 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Going crazy (lens branding)

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Looking at an affordable macro lens and as my budget is limited (200-250€ / $220-280), trying to find something used but in good condition on ebay as there are no macro lenses available on the SH market in Serbia. Limiting my search to *Pentax* and *macro* terms and dismissing all the lenses that are actually not capable of 1:1 magnification the final number of results decreases rapidly to just a few primes. That's all okay, however, the confusion starts as I get lost in a dark forest full of Soligor, Revuenon, Kiron, Makinon, Vivitar, Albinar, Optigon and Miranda lenses I can't find using Google search. Except for the results from ebay where I actually started from. Almost no reviews, no data, and even weirder when searching for Soligor gets me to Cosina.

It appears to me that some lenses were manufactured for different markets under different names (nothing new) however, I can't figure out if a 100mm prime macro lens Soligor I am looking at is any good. The price is tempting, the lens appears to be in mint condition (high-res images available) but I'm still not sure. The next prime macro lens is a Sigma 50mm f2.8 that does have a good review but costing three times as much, although, still within the budget. At the top (the budget limit) is the Tamron 90mm f2.8. Easy thing if I decide to buy a lens that is new (Tamron) or used but in good/mint condition (Sigma) but what to do with the lenses I know nothing about? Dismiss them just because I know nothing about them? (certainly should do so if I agree that the curiosity killed the cat)...

Not sure what to do, I can't afford to spend money on more than one of these. Among the brands I listed, there are some lenses that may just be equally good, well built and reliable, however, I do not dare playing a magician and trying to pull a rabbit out of a hat as I learned that I have no talent to do that. In most of the cases when I tried to do that, I grabbed something soft and warm, but it surely wasn't a fluffy rabbit, rather something brown and stinky.
What would You do?

02-13-2016, 11:21 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If AF is a must then the Tamron 90mm is a great lens. There is conjecture over the Sigma 50mm, but putting that aside, the 50mm 'reach' is a limiting factor (90mm is much better for a range of things). Otherwise you could contemplate the Sigma 105mm 2.8 (pricey) or a Pentax FA 100mm f2.8 (more affordable).

If MF is a consideration then I would urge you towards the Kiron/ Vivitar 105mm f2.8 macro. This macro, although manual, is simply unreal value for money. Be sure to get the one with 'A' contacts so you can use P mode.

All the above lenses are very good.
02-14-2016, 12:27 AM   #3

Original Poster
As my eyesight is lately not what it used to be, I really appreciate all the benefits that AF brings. I have an old SMC Pentax-M 50mm f1.7 and even though it's a great lens I had to buy the DA 50mm f1.8 as seven or even eight of ten images I made with the old lens ended up out of focus
(somehow I manage to always have the wrong glasses on my nose and the wrong lens on the camera)
Anyway, my search obviously got limited because of the budget I have (increase of the amount that I can spend is not likely to happen in less than a few months from now and within a month or so, all the bugs will crawl out after the Winter sleep and I'll miss another Spring) so, it's probably either going to be one of the Tamrons on offer or the Sigma... Just figured that the really affordable Soligor is actually a 1:2 "Macro" and there's an adapter lens to be screwed in the front to get the 1:1 magnification. I already have a +13 diopter filter and I'm definitely not pleased with the results...
02-14-2016, 01:01 AM   #4
Veteran Member

AF doesn't help a whole lot when you are shooting macro but if you do insist on AF for macro, make sure there is a focus limiter like the Tamron 90/2.8 has. That way if the lens starts hunting for focus, you don't end up going from MFD to infinity and back again. As far as optical quality of these modern macro lenses go, there isn't much difference to speak of from any of them, they are all very, very good. I have the Tamron 90/2.8 macro, both MF and AF versions. I keep the MF version mostly for nostalgia since the AF version is more versatile - if you buy a gently used Tamron, you may even be able to get one well below your budget.

02-14-2016, 01:10 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Although Sigma has greatly improved their quality since Canon and Nikon moved most of their lens production away from Japan, I would recommend the 90mm Tamron partly because of AF and as posted earlier, it's a much more practical focal length for most macro subjects. Of course the Pentax 100mm macro would be my top choice and trumps the Tamron in terms of IQ and WR. But if it is out of your budget, then it's out of your budget and knowing the Tamron (when new) comes with a 6 year warranty, that should help to have some confidence in build quality.
02-14-2016, 01:17 AM   #6

Original Poster
My search basically limits my current choice to a 199€ used Sigma EX macro 50mm f2.8 or 285€ for (new) Tamron SP AF 90mm f2.8 macro. All the other lenses are either old (no AF) or have some sort of fault. The price difference is significant (+30% or so), but I don't want to save some money now and be sorry later. Now I have three options, either buy one of these two or simply wait for something else to pop up... As far as AF is concerned, sometimes (sufficient amount of light and a tripod) I'm capable of making a nice, clear and sharp shots with manual focusing, but that usually requires a certain amount of luck as well, so I'm not exclusive on AF as a must have at all times and occasions, but prefer to have that option available. Should I wait and hope that something else will pop up?
02-14-2016, 01:18 AM   #7
Pentaxian

AF in macro is often not very useful, it doesn't work very well. If you want the lens for bugs then I'd say you need something 90 or 100mm so ignore anything shorter. I love my 35mm macro but I don't use it often on bugs.

For the lenses which aren't Pentax, Sigma or Tamron look in the lens database here. If two lenses have the same characteristics (focal length, max aperture, approximate weight and size) then chances are they're the same lens but with different brand names. Vivitar, Tokina, Cosina, Soligor etc etc - they're just brand names on the same lenses.

If you want a cheap AF macro then the only one that comes to mind is the Cosina 100mm f/3.5. I've read that the build is cheap but the results are good. Pentax even branded it as their own as a cheaper alternative to the faster f/2.8 version.

A cheaper option still would be extension tubes but then you can forget about AF altogether.

02-14-2016, 01:22 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My Pentax F 100mm f/2.8 macro is over 20 years old but still delivers results I'm more than happy with on K10D and K3 - maybe cheaper still than old FAs?
02-14-2016, 01:37 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I have the Sigma 50mm EX f/2.8 macro with a Nikon mount and I can tell you it is OK. Nothing wrong with it, but then nothing outstanding either. Why do you want macro? What do you want to shoot with it? With the Sigma, you're going to be kissing your subjects and may encounter your own shadow and flash becomes problematic with anything other than ring flash. The 90mm Tamron is probably your best value if you can't gamble the risk of ordering online and not being able to return it.

Also note that 285 Euros=$321 USD and I've seen the Pentax 100mm Macro WR used on Amazon for that price. Yes, I know shipping, customs, foreign transaction fees, will add to it, but I've personally wasted a lot of money buying second or third best choices, only to replace it until I got the lens I should've bought from the start but was too impatient to save up.
02-14-2016, 02:17 AM - 1 Like   #10

Original Poster
To be honest, I'm a patient guy by nature, I actually waited quite a long time to hit the "buy" button on the Hungarian webshop page. Got my K-S1 for flat 300€. If I was impatient and picky, it would cost me closer to 600€ and black. Ended up with a blue one, just as good as black and acceptable as long as it's not pink with barbie logo/sign all over it.
My monthly income can't be compared with what someone in US or UK makes, but I'm fairly well paid for engineering/designing work so I can afford to have a hobby instead of having a second or third job to make ends meet. However, for me, spending four or five hundreds of $ or Euros on a lens is just a bit over the limit having in mind that it's a hobby for me and approximately my monthly income. I don't think many people are willing to invest the whole monthly income on a lens, especially if that lens brings no financial profit...

Buying a lens (or anything else for that matter) that cost more than 100€ means paying not only for shipping (many don't even ship to Serbia) but also paying duties and import taxes which means approx. +60% on the price+shipping amount. That's why I have to use a "workaround" and buy through my friend who lives in Germany and comes often home to his parents. Once he appears on the border, the customs don't really pay attention what he's carrying around especially if the goods are not in the original package and don't appear to be brand new (or doesn't have a dozen which would indicate that he wants to sell them). Of course, he can have a dozen of nails, but a pile of new lenses would surely make the customs officer suspicious
Having all this in sight, my search is basically limited to what my budget allows and what is offered on German ebay, usually looking at best offer with shipping to Germany included.
At this time, accepting the suggestions and opinions presented here, the new 90mm Tamron seems to be the best choice.
For zooming (which I don't do often) have a 28-300mm Sigma lens and a Canon SX50HS (which is a really great camera for point n' shoot), but usually I put the 50mm DA f1.8 on the K-S1 and use it to make pictures. Sometimes I use the kit 18-55 DAL lens, but not really often. What I really like to do is fiddling with bugs and internals of flowers and so far tried reversing lenses, using a diopter adapter/filter but found that it gets me very close to the desired results, but never quite there. So, hoping that I can finally get there with a dedicated lens. It will cost but I learned long time ago there's no free lunch ...

Last edited by stein; 02-14-2016 at 04:00 AM. Reason: spelling error
02-14-2016, 02:36 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Alex645 Quote
Of course the Pentax 100mm macro would be my top choice and trumps the Tamron in terms of IQ and WR.
It doesn't, not in terms of IQ. Look at Photozone test of Pentax D-FA 100/2.8, immediate predecessor to the current WR model.
02-14-2016, 02:39 AM   #12
Veteran Member

This lens warrants consideration

SMC Pentax FA 100 MM F2 8 AF Macro Prime Lens "Excellent" From Japan 89053 0027075163034 | eBay

A little fog? That may be only minor concern.
02-14-2016, 02:40 AM   #13

Original Poster
It's probably clear by now that there's no shop or official representative selling Pentax gear at reasonable prices in my country. Those who offer Pentax products usually take orders first (no stock) and purchase the items somewhere (abroad), do some math adding up the expenses, include some profit and Voila! there you go, ending up with a camera/body/lens costing you twice as much as it costs in UK (for example). No wonder that Pentax users are really rare here.
02-14-2016, 02:42 AM - 1 Like   #14
Veteran Member

stein

check out the market place right now. first on the list is a Tamron 90mm for consideration in your price range.
02-14-2016, 02:44 AM   #15

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Wild Mark Quote
This lens warrants consideration

SMC Pentax FA 100 MM F2 8 AF Macro Prime Lens "Excellent" From Japan 89053 0027075163034 | eBay

A little fog? That may be only minor concern.
I saw that one. As I have no means to fiddle with returning if I don't like it (fog and little dust - the seller didn't specify where that dust is - inside/outside?) so I went further... I'll check the same item through the German ebay again.