Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-04-2008, 10:35 AM   #1

SMC M 50mm 1.7 Stopping Down

Hi All
I've just got hold of a lovely old M series 50mm F1.7 prime, and have managed to attach it to my K200d, but I can't actually stop it down any lower than F5.6. The aperture is controlled by an aperture ring (not the camera body), and I can't find any way of moving it beyond F5.6. There is a small white nobby bit sticking put just to the right of the aperture ring, and I don't know what that does!

Please can anyone help on this one? Until you do, it's bokeh-dokey for me.

Thanks, Will

07-04-2008, 10:43 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I do believe that small white bump is to help line the lens up without looking at it.

I've never seen an aperture ring jammed up. I'd take it off the camera, and turn it, seeing if it turns all the way then.
07-04-2008, 10:49 AM   #3

Original Poster
It doesn't feel jammed: there's no play in it at all. I'm afraid to push it too far as I don't want to bend / break anything.
07-04-2008, 10:49 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by little laker Quote
I do believe that small white bump is to help line the lens up without looking at it.

I've never seen an aperture ring jammed up. I'd take it off the camera, and turn it, seeing if it turns all the way then.
Yes, laker is correct. The white bump, if lined up with the lens release button on the body corresponds with the correct position to mount the lens (in case you can't see the red dot).

As for your aperture issue, it sounds like a mechanical jam. I successfully use the Pentax-M 50/1.7 on my K10D and have not had that kind of problem.

Steve