Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-15-2016, 03:07 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Scored a cheap 50mm, has some fungus

So I managed to find a 50mm f/1.8 on eBay for $35 including shipping, it should be here sometime next week. My question is this, according to the description the lens has a small amount of fungus inside it, not enough to affect the photos but it's there, which means it could grow and eventually damage the lens.

I've already looked up an article in the forums that details how to take it apart, and I'm pretty confident I can do it myself without damaging anything, but since I've never done this before does anyone have any advice or warnings(aside from, "don't scratch it" lol) about anything I might need to be aware of?

02-15-2016, 03:44 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rai93 Quote
but it's there, which means it could grow and eventually damage the lens.
No. Fungal spores are always present. Once you actually see the fungus growth it is either already dead or actively growing. If growing (not dead) then within a short period of time it will grow out of the lens, invade your camera and eventually your entire house Just joking, this cannot actually happen because there is nothing for it to grow on. No water, no food, so it grows a little bit and then dies.

When you see fungus in a lens it is almost always dead. So whether it needs cleaned off comes down to whether it impairs the optics of the lens. Any damage it might do to the lens or coatings has already been done.

Best way, the only way really, to prevent fungus is to keep your gear dry. If it gets wet or damp then make sure to dry it properly as soon as possible. Use a dry box, or a warming lamp to remove any moisture. Silica gel or rice will also work in extreme cases. Fungal spores are ALWAYS present, so if you get moisture in the lens there is a chance they will grow. Previous infection has little or nothing to do with any future growth.
02-15-2016, 04:06 PM   #3
Pentaxian

I've read that live fungus can spread to other lenses in your camera bag. If that is true, I personally wouldn't take the risk to infect my other lenses such as my precious 77mm limited or Super Tak 50mm 1.4!
02-15-2016, 04:09 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by stillshot2 Quote
I've read that live fungus can spread to other lenses in your camera bag. If that is true, I personally wouldn't take the risk to infect my other lenses such as my precious 77mm limited or Super Tak 50mm 1.4!
Your precious lenses already have fungal spores in them. All that is required is the right conditions for them to grow. Darkness and moisture...

02-15-2016, 05:41 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've read that santa claus comes down the chimney too

What you stated is completely untrue. Live fungus would have to grow out of the lens and then into another lens to make that happen. Ever seen fungus do that? I sure haven't. What can happen is that the fungus can produce fruiting bodies and then spores which would have to move to the other lenses, and then the other lenses would have to have enough moisture inside them to provide the environment needed for them to grow. But in all my years of buying old lenses I have NEVER seen a fruiting body on lens fungus, it just does not live long enough.

And even if all that did happen, it makes no difference because ALL of your lenses are already infected with fungal spores from the air. The only thing that keeps them from growing is that there is not enough moisture inside the lens. Get your lens wet and keep it in a warm dark place and you will get fungus.

The only way to prevent fungus is to keep your gear dry.
02-15-2016, 06:25 PM   #6
Pentaxian

You guys are probably right, but I just couldn't bring myself to storing them in the same bag. To each their own

Last edited by stillshot2; 02-15-2016 at 06:36 PM.
02-15-2016, 06:57 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You guys are probably right, but I just couldn't bring myself to storing them in the same bag. To each their own
Nothing wrong with erring on the side of caution
The internet myth of magical fungal transportation is one of those things that really raises my blood pressure. Like all urban myths it has a bit of truth and sounds like it should work that way, but fortunately it doesn't.

02-15-2016, 09:04 PM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
No. Fungal spores are always present. Once you actually see the fungus growth it is either already dead or actively growing. If growing (not dead) then within a short period of time it will grow out of the lens, invade your camera and eventually your entire house Just joking, this cannot actually happen because there is nothing for it to grow on. No water, no food, so it grows a little bit and then dies.

When you see fungus in a lens it is almost always dead. So whether it needs cleaned off comes down to whether it impairs the optics of the lens. Any damage it might do to the lens or coatings has already been done.

Best way, the only way really, to prevent fungus is to keep your gear dry. If it gets wet or damp then make sure to dry it properly as soon as possible. Use a dry box, or a warming lamp to remove any moisture. Silica gel or rice will also work in extreme cases. Fungal spores are ALWAYS present, so if you get moisture in the lens there is a chance they will grow. Previous infection has little or nothing to do with any future growth.
Ok see I appreciate the advice on how to PREVENT it, but I was hoping for advice on CLEANING it. Even if the fungus is dead and can't grow anymore I'm not leaving it on my lenses where I'll have to look at it every time I attach it to my camera lol
02-15-2016, 09:38 PM   #9
Pentaxian

It depends if the fungus has etched itself into the glass, then it can be permanent. If it doesn't affect the images then there is no real point in trying to remove it as you will most likely be removing lens coatings or possibly more harm. Just use the lens often enough so it gets UV light through it to irradiate the fungus and store it in a dry place so it can't grow or spread is what I would suggest.
02-15-2016, 09:43 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ok see I appreciate the advice on how to PREVENT it, but I was hoping for advice on CLEANING it. Even if the fungus is dead and can't grow anymore I'm not leaving it on my lenses where I'll have to look at it every time I attach it to my camera lol
Well, it depends on how bad it is. You may or may not even be able to notice it. If you can, and it is in the lens area that impacts the image then it can, possibly, be cleaned.
Exact instructions are awkward since you do not say exactly what lens this is? I assume the DA 50mm f/1.8? I have cleaned fungus very successfully just using alcohol and cotton swabs. However, if it has etched the coating or glass then that damage will remain.

The difficulty is not in the cleaning, but in dissembling the lens, and getting it back together again. I have taken apart any number of Takumars and a few Pentax-A primes. Each is a bit different though in many cases you can find disassembly walk throughs on the internet. What I do not do is take apart auto focus lenses. There are folks who do, it is just more than I want to attempt without specialized knowledge. If I had bought the lens and needed it cleaned I would send it to Eric or dcshooter and pay them to do it. But paying them to clean a $100 lens is not likely cost effective. That's assuming this is indeed the DA 50mm and not something else.

My suggestion would be to wait and see what it looks like when you get it. It might be nothing you will notice. If it is serious then you have the choice of trying to open it yourself or paying to have it cleaned.

---------- Post added 02-15-16 at 08:51 PM ----------

so it gets UV light through it to irradiate the fungus
I hesitate to even type this because I know you are trying to help. But UV radiation is not going to do anything. The dose required to actually kill spores is high, and even if you do manage to apply it, the lens will be re-infected as soon as it is exposed to the air. I have seen several 'tests' that purported to 'prove' UV light killed lens fungus. What all of those testers missed was that the heat generated by the UV lamp was all it took to do whatever it was they said the UV had done. And the fungal threads they 'killed' were already dead. Remove moisture = dead fungus. But the spores remain or will re-infect almost immediately.
store it in a dry place so it can't grow or spread is what I would suggest.
Best solution. If you live in a moist humid environment consider building or buying a dry box. This can be as simple as a closed cabinet with light bulb in it to generate some heat.
02-16-2016, 01:35 AM   #11

Original Poster
Well, it depends on how bad it is. You may or may not even be able to notice it. If you can, and it is in the lens area that impacts the image then it can, possibly, be cleaned.
Exact instructions are awkward since you do not say exactly what lens this is? I assume the DA 50mm f/1.8? I have cleaned fungus very successfully just using alcohol and cotton swabs. However, if it has etched the coating or glass then that damage will remain.

The difficulty is not in the cleaning, but in dissembling the lens, and getting it back together again. I have taken apart any number of Takumars and a few Pentax-A primes. Each is a bit different though in many cases you can find disassembly walk throughs on the internet. What I do not do is take apart auto focus lenses. There are folks who do, it is just more than I want to attempt without specialized knowledge. If I had bought the lens and needed it cleaned I would send it to Eric or dcshooter and pay them to do it. But paying them to clean a $100 lens is not likely cost effective. That's assuming this is indeed the DA 50mm and not something else.
According to the eBay page, it's an Asahi Pentax Super Takumar 55mm f/1.8.
02-16-2016, 02:43 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I hesitate to even type this because I know you are trying to help. But UV radiation is not going to do anything. The dose required to actually kill spores is high, and even if you do manage to apply it, the lens will be re-infected as soon as it is exposed to the air. I have seen several 'tests' that purported to 'prove' UV light killed lens fungus. What all of those testers missed was that the heat generated by the UV lamp was all it took to do whatever it was they said the UV had done. And the fungal threads they 'killed' were already dead. Remove moisture = dead fungus. But the spores remain or will re-infect almost immediately.
Also fungus needs something to feed on. Usually this will be some organic matter - a crumb or a dead insect that'd ended up inside the lens. Unless you remove this and moisture returns, the fungus will come back to life.
02-16-2016, 03:15 AM   #13

Original Poster
I've also read a few articles that seem to say that some versions of the SMC Takumar are radioactive with a few saying that my model, the Super Takumar 55m f/1.8 could possibly be radioactive but nothing to conclusively say whether or not it's true. Not really worried about it since the radiation is small however I am putting it close to my eye so I'd like some concrete facts if possible.
02-16-2016, 08:53 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've also read a few articles that seem to say that some versions of the SMC Takumar are radioactive with a few saying that my model, the Super Takumar 55m f/1.8 could possibly be radioactive but nothing to conclusively say whether or not it's true. Not really worried about it since the radiation is small however I am putting it close to my eye so I'd like some concrete facts if possible.
Quite true. It has thoriated glass in some elements. Supposedly you get more radiation from your cell phone, but technically it is radioactive.

Radioactive lenses - Camerapedia - Wikia

---------- Post added 02-16-16 at 07:56 AM ----------

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/8-pentax-film-slr-discussion/137774-how-r...-takumars.html

---------- Post added 02-16-16 at 08:00 AM ----------

SMC/S-M-C/Super-/Auto-/Takumar 55mm F1.8 Reviews - M42 Screwmount Normal Primes - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database
02-16-2016, 11:51 AM   #15

Original Poster
I've already read all the of those, and none of them specifically say with 100% certainty that the SUPER takumar is radioactive. The SMC's are, but the YouTube videos that supposedly show the super takumar as being radioactive are actually the smc's...