Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-16-2016, 09:35 AM   #16
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
Yes, ideal lens for me, but $$$$$$, I fear!
Sounds like it will be around 1700 USD so you can probably write that off...

No, I could not convert it to screw drive; and the member that is doing this work, so far says he cannot convert the 16-50. So for me, it would be a bad investment.
16-50 is one of the most converted lenses...
It's the 60-250 UncleVanya cannot convert.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/24-photographic-equipment-sale/311609-sal...nversions.html

02-16-2016, 09:39 AM   #17
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
Sounds like it will be around 1700 USD so you can probably write that off...

16-50 is one of the most converted lenses...
It's the 60-250 UncleVanya cannot convert.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/24-photographic-equipment-sale/311609-sal...nversions.html
Yes indeed, that lens is a write-off!!

That changes things for me, knowing Uncle can convert the 16-50; perhaps for the OP as well!
02-16-2016, 11:09 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The HD version has the rounded blades, not as good starbursts; correct?
Horrible starbursts. Not even close to the SMC green ring lens.
02-16-2016, 11:15 AM   #19
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Very good to know, thanks!

02-16-2016, 11:31 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by UserAccessDenied Quote
What are my options for wide (under 18mm) and WR?

DA*16-50 and DA16-85?

Nothing prime?

I want the DA15ltd but I just love the idea of my entire kit being WR. I have lenses that are not, but I tend to leave them at home if I'm uncertain about the weather...

I have the 18-135, so the 16-85 seems like a replacement that may or may not be worth the extra cash to me.
The DA*16-50 looks great, but the harrowing SDM failures make me wary of purchasing this lens.

If I opt for non-WR there are a ton of options.

What do you think?
Go for the DA 15 and let it control my mind?
Or is there something WR on the horizon under 18mm that I should wait for?
A newly announced 15-30mm F2.8.
02-16-2016, 11:46 AM   #21
Veteran Member

No, I could not convert it to screw drive; and the member that is doing this work, so far says he cannot convert the 16-50. So for me, it would be a bad investment.
Since you don't mention why you couldn't do it yourself, I will assume that it is because you are not confortable with such procedures, which is totally fine. It does involve, after all, computer and technical skill and there are some risks as well.

But, if you look around, you will see that all Pentax 16-50mm can be converted to screw drive using the procedure that has been explained and tested in a thread in on pentax forum. I have myself converted my 16-50mm following the exact procedures found here. (One may search the forum for the exact thread). Thus, I am confused why you say that someone who claims to be converting Pentax lenses to screw drive would not be able to do it with a 16-50mm. Perhaps you are thinking of another SDM lens (I know some of them haven't been successfully converted yet).

I guess if you really wanted a 16-50mm but didn't want to deal with SDM, you could search for a already converted 16-50mm. I know some come up now and then.

edit : oops, just noticed that people already corrected the 16-50mm sdm conversion issue. Sorry to repeat.
02-16-2016, 11:50 AM   #22
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Yes, Uncle Vanya does the conversions at a very reasonable price.

QuoteOriginally posted by kp0c Quote
Since you don't mention why you couldn't do it yourself, I will assume that it is because you are not confortable with such procedures, which is totally fine.
You are correct, I am not comfortable trying such a procedure, and with Uncle Vanya's service, no need.

"I guess if you really wanted a 16-50mm"

I mentioned I wanted the 16-85.
02-16-2016, 12:18 PM   #23
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rrstuff Quote
A newly announced 15-30mm F2.8.
$2000 for the 15-30?!

02-16-2016, 01:54 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

What are my options for wide (under 18mm) and WR?

Nothing prime?

What do you think?
Because zooms are inherently more vulnerable to moisture, dust, etc, and thus are more likely to be given WR protection. Primes don't have the same amount of risk (changing focal length=moving elements=air entering lens, etc) and thus most primes are not afforded the extra protection. Commercially made rain covers or sleeves are fairly inexpensive, and I usually just make my own from a plastic bag.

Because a prime is not WR would not prevent me from buying and using one.
02-16-2016, 03:02 PM   #25
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Alex645 Quote
Because zooms are inherently more vulnerable to moisture, dust, etc, and thus are more likely to be given WR protection. Primes don't have the same amount of risk (changing focal length=moving elements=air entering lens, etc) and thus most primes are not afforded the extra protection. Commercially made rain covers or sleeves are fairly inexpensive, and I usually just make my own from a plastic bag.

Because a prime is not WR would not prevent me from buying and using one.
Touche.
So what would be your non-WR wide angle lens of choice? - (prime)
02-16-2016, 03:07 PM - 1 Like   #26
Pentaxian

Probably 15 Ltd
02-16-2016, 04:20 PM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Touche.
I would agree with Bert that the logical wide angle prime would be the 15mm limited. However, I haven't shot with that lens, so I defer to those that have. With wide angles I progressively got addicted to the 'wider is better' aesthetic, so with 35mm film that was 21mm (closer to 12mm in APS-C). With 645, my 35mm prime is more like a 12mm in APS-C and I love it...and therefore if I were in your shoes, I personally would go against my love of primes and try the Sigma 10-20mm f/3.5 zoom.

The Pentax 15mm prime is far smaller and better IQ from what I've seen from others, but going rectilinear 10mm has that wow factor, yet you can still go moderately to 12-15mm within the zoom.
02-16-2016, 04:34 PM   #28
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Alex645 Quote
I would agree with Bert that the logical wide angle prime would be the 15mm limited. However, I haven't shot with that lens, so I defer to those that have. With wide angles I progressively got addicted to the 'wider is better' aesthetic, so with 35mm film that was 21mm (closer to 12mm in APS-C). With 645, my 35mm prime is more like a 12mm in APS-C and I love it...and therefore if I were in your shoes, I personally would go against my love of primes and try the Sigma 10-20mm f/3.5 zoom.

The Pentax 15mm prime is far smaller and better IQ from what I've seen from others, but going rectilinear 10mm has that wow factor, yet you can still go moderately to 12-15mm within the zoom.
I don't have that either, widest thing I got is the 18-55...

Just naming it from other people's reports.
02-16-2016, 04:53 PM   #29
Veteran Member

WR? What for? See this review:

SMC Pentax-DA 14mm F2.8 ED [IF] Reviews - DA Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

I've always wondered what a seal at the base of the lens mount would add to the cost. Why don't they just include one on the more expensive primes and not declare it to be WR? More protection is still better than none in my view.
02-16-2016, 08:14 PM   #30
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Has anyone tried to convert a nonWR lens by adding a rubber o-ring?
Maybe I should have kept that 50/2 for experimenting!