Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-16-2016, 10:17 PM   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by UserAccessDenied Quote
Has anyone tried to convert a nonWR lens by adding a rubber o-ring?
Maybe I should have kept that 50/2 for experimenting!
Unfortunately the O-ring on the lens mount is only one of many gaskets used in WR lenses. DA* series are also rated for dust proofing, not just moisture. Depending on the lens, seals would be used of the focus, zoom, and aperture rings as well.

02-17-2016, 06:34 AM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Alex645 Quote
Unfortunately the O-ring on the lens mount is only one of many gaskets used in WR lenses. DA* series are also rated for dust proofing, not just moisture. Depending on the lens, seals would be used of the focus, zoom, and aperture rings as well.
Sure, but for a solidly built prime like the da14mm with a very simple exterior construction, there aren't many openings. Moisture, dust, etc. would have to make its way through the focus ring, front element, or the little port showing the distance scale (and this part looks pretty tight), then past all the mechanical and optical bits inside. I'm going to naively guess that an O-ring on the body would do a decent job of delaying moisture from getting into the camera body by cutting off the easiest access point - not as much as a delay for a fully sealed lens, but sometimes enough that it might make a difference to keeping the camera body functioning.

Frankly, I'd expect an O-ring on the mount of any lens would be of some help at protecting a camera body. I took aim at the more costly primes* as I'd guess a lone O-ring on the mount would be a marginal cost increase for these.

*ok, specifically the da14mm which I do love, and still take out in the snow and light rain despite not being WR
02-17-2016, 10:20 PM   #33

I am thrilled with the 20-40mm limited. For interiors with no option to back up any farther I have my 15mm where WR is (usually) unnecessary. For outdoor work the 20-40 is a great solution for me. Much lighter weight than the 16-50 beasty and it is WR. I ignored the 20-40 for a long time but once I started using it I was hooked.
02-19-2016, 11:20 AM   #34
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Just to chime in. I have little knowledge of the speed of 16-50 SDM vs. Screwdrive because I only ever see the 16-50 when SDM is dead or dying. (LOL) I have had success converting all of the lenses sent to me except for a single 16-50 - that lens had something wrong and would not focus manually so I did not proceed with conversion since it was broken in a way that was not SDM specific. BTW I did not charge the owner for examining the lens and sending it back since I could not convert it. The DA* 60-250 still eludes me (and everyone else) - there is no known conversion for this lens which is a shame.