Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 11 Likes Search this Thread
02-17-2016, 10:31 PM   #76
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
The more I research and think about this, the more I think I want to stay away from the large zooms.
I am in the process of liquidating my Olympus Micro 4/3 system. There are a few reasons for this.
1. I feel m4/3 has reached the max with 20mp and their small sensors.
2. Depth of field issues with small sensor
3. Cameras are small, to small for me. I just could not get used to it. BUT I don't want huge either.
Some things I loved about Olympus.
1. In body IS. Pentax does this as well.
2. My E-M5 MK II had what is called High resolution mode. The K-3 II does this as well.

So back to lenses. I am seriously considering the 20-40 vs the 17-50 Sigma. I will get the DA 15 Limited to compliment it. I will probably pass on the Tamron 70-200 2.8. The 77 will be my main portrait lens and I will probably pick up a DA 55-300 for outdoor bird and animal shooting. I can use it in outdoor weddings as well.
This will be my initial kit and should do most of what I need. I shoot a lot of off camera flash so lighting will usually not be an issue. I just need to decide if I want a Pentax flash for TTL or just depend on my LumoPro LP180's and just keep flash off camera triggering them with Pocket Wizards.

02-18-2016, 12:11 AM   #77
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The correct answer is ALL of the lenses. Might wanna start buying now. Just kidding. "Must Have" is a subjective term, and is wholly dependent on the type of shooting you plan on doing. Tailor your lens choices to what you think will work best for your plans, otherwise the first part of this comment (the joke part) will be a reality.
02-18-2016, 02:32 AM   #78
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Auzzie-Phoenix Quote
The correct answer is ALL of the lenses. Might wanna start buying now. Just kidding. "Must Have" is a subjective term, and is wholly dependent on the type of shooting you plan on doing. Tailor your lens choices to what you think will work best for your plans, otherwise the first part of this comment (the joke part) will be a reality.
Of course you are correct. But as we know every manufacturer have their "legends". Nikon with their 105mm lens, Canon with a few of their L lenses, Olympus with their 75mm and it would seem Pentax with their 77mm and a few other Limited lenses.
That is what I meant about must have.
02-18-2016, 03:14 AM   #79
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

The 20-40 is a very nice lens - fast focusing, light, WR, nice image quality. The DA 15 is a very nice compliment to it.

If you are getting a DA 55-300 make sure you get the HD one, which is WR. It is a very nice light telephoto. The image quality is not up with the telephoto primes or the 60-250, but it is surprising what you can get out of the 55-300. And it is light to carry, which is a plus.

02-18-2016, 11:36 AM   #80

Whaat? Nobody suggested the amazing Sigma 18-35/1.8 as for one body and DA* 55/1.4 to another if shooting weddings - that's a killer setup I'd say! Been there, done that within good results
02-18-2016, 12:24 PM   #81
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Stickl Quote
Whaat? Nobody suggested the amazing Sigma 18-35/1.8
Well if you're a regular reader on these forums, that lens has been given a bad rap regarding focusing, so maybe that's why?
02-18-2016, 02:27 PM   #82
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Driline Quote
Dammit. Why did you have to tell me that? Now I'm gonna have LBA for the 77. I've already got the 31 & 43. And now is NOT a good time to sell the 50-135 because of the full frame coming out
Ahah But I mean LBA for 77 doesn't exist: FA77 is a necessity.

02-18-2016, 02:46 PM   #83
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Nicolas06 Quote
Ahah But I mean LBA for 77 doesn't exist: FA77 is a necessity.
Nooooo, Nicolas!!! Don't say things like that!!! I thought I was done on Pentax lenses!
02-18-2016, 04:35 PM   #84
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Nooooo, Nicolas!!! Don't say things like that!!! I thought I was done on Pentax lenses!
With the FF out, really ? The FA ltd are the best lense ever with AF still available in store from Pentax.... And from all manufacturers together, they are maybe still around the best compromize in price/size/rendering. You'd have to accept a much heavier and expensive lens to get something better.

The only good thing is you can't really understand what you miss until you try tem.
02-18-2016, 04:47 PM   #85
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

With the FF out, really ? The FA ltd are the best lense ever with AF still available in store from Pentax.... And from all manufacturers together, they are maybe still around the best compromize in price/size/rendering. You'd have to accept a much heavier and expensive lens to get something better.

The only good thing is you can't really understand what you miss until you try tem.
LOL No, I made my choice at the end of 2014 to stay with Pentax's APS-C offerings and build up my collection of DA Limiteds when I saw them at knock-down prices (which was a very successful exercise, as it happens). For my purposes, and for some time to come, I'm happy with my K3 / K3II and the DA Limiteds (plus my other lenses). That doesn't mean to say that in a couple of years I won't feel differently, of course!!
02-18-2016, 09:23 PM   #86
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Stickl Quote
Nobody suggested the amazing Sigma 18-35/1.8 as for one body and DA* 55/1.4 to another if shooting weddings - that's a killer setup I'd say!
on paper: yes, in reality: hell no.
02-18-2016, 11:40 PM   #87
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
LOL No, I made my choice at the end of 2014 to stay with Pentax's APS-C offerings and build up my collection of DA Limiteds when I saw them at knock-down prices (which was a very successful exercise, as it happens). For my purposes, and for some time to come, I'm happy with my K3 / K3II and the DA Limiteds (plus my other lenses). That doesn't mean to say that in a couple of years I won't feel differently, of course!!
When you'll discover what you missed the first time you'll try an FA ltd... You'll be so sorry you didn't have it for all theses years...
02-19-2016, 01:20 AM   #88
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

When you'll discover what you missed the first time you'll try an FA ltd... You'll be so sorry you didn't have it for all theses years...
Naaaaaahh... I'm good, thanks