Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-17-2016, 10:30 AM   #1
Veteran Member

To send in for repair or not

I recently purchased a used but supposedly very new sigma 17-50 2.8 from a fellow not on this forum. The lens itself is in mint condition and looks new. I instantly however noticed that there is a tad bit of decentering causing blurriness on the furthest edge in the right side. It'd doesn't clean up even at f11. Most of my uses will be portraits and casual candid shots of friends and family so this will hardly ever show up as noticeable anyways. But it still kind of bugs me knowing it has a flaw. I have talked to Gentec and have been informed that it's an easy fix but if it's not showing as covered under warranty it could cost me as much as $120. I am finding that other than the slight decentering, this lens is razor sharp and I am getting great shots with it. I wonder if there's any chance it could come back after repair and somehow be not as sharp? If that happened I would be very ticked that I sent it away instead of living with a small issue that I would hardly ever notice.

There is also the issue of possible resale in the future. A lens with an issue will be hard to sell. I guess either way it would cost me money.

What do you guys think? Send it in and cross my fingers it comes back every bit as good as it went in? Or am I overthinking this? If this is a sharp copy is there any way it can come back not as sharp?

02-17-2016, 10:36 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Send it in. It's a great lens when it's sorted.

---------- Post added 02-17-2016 at 05:38 PM ----------

Mine needed a new motor and MR sensor, and it got updated ones. It cost me around 80 UK pounds, ($114) if I recall correctly.
Once you can trust the lens again it is a fine tool!
02-17-2016, 10:43 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Tough decision, but most assuredly the lens is not up to spec given its excellent reputation.

The decision regarding repair ought to be weighed based on a money-back guarantee that the problem will be fixed. You can't be sure of that until the exact cause is diagnosed. If cemented elements are off a bit, you aren't going get the problem fixed without raiding another lens. So, the claim that "it's an easy fix" is somewhat presumptuous. On the other hand, if they see this problem on this particular lens routinely and are confident in the diagnosis, then you have much more confidence in it.

In any event, I'd say $120 is a reasonable price, and presumably you get the standard CLA with that...
02-17-2016, 10:47 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Approach the seller - full or partial refund.

It's not the only Sigma 17-50 f2.8 in the world, so why risk another $120? (Unless you got it ridiculously cheap in the first place?)

02-17-2016, 12:36 PM   #5
osv
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by JohnX Quote
Approach the seller - full or partial refund.

It's not the only Sigma 17-50 f2.8 in the world, so why risk another $120? (Unless you got it ridiculously cheap in the first place?)
this ^^^
02-17-2016, 01:15 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I sent in my Sigma 18-250, because the AF was not functioning and it was decentered. They fixed the AF, but it came back still decentered. According to Lensrentals.com, most repair facilities don't have the equipment to correct a de-centered lens. Even lensrentals.com work for the most part with shims and trial and error, which it's my guess, most repair places would be unwilling to even try. My choice, given the history will be to sell the lens at a very good price at some point or shoot it at ƒ8 or higher, also an option. So, my guess is, the lens is the way it is. It's improbable that sending it away to a repair facility would make it better. It didn't for me.

But if you get an in writing guarantee from someone who claims they have the facilities to correct de-centering, and will warranty their work, go for it. Apparently most facilities don't even have the equipment to detect de-centering, forget about repair it.
02-17-2016, 09:42 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the input. I have mentioned it to the seller and he only said that he didn't notice it and has pretty much disappeared now. He was supposed to try and find me the original bill of sale but sadly he has not gotten back to me. I'm not very good at being the kind of person who gets confrontational and probably won't ask him for a refund. I guess I'll chalk it up to my first negative deal and be thankful I have had so many many positive deals in the past.

Like I said originally, this lens is ripping sharp other than the very very outer edge on the right side which I'll never notice in real world situations as I use my primes for any serious shooting other than portrait and for that I use my 50-135. At this point I think I'll just keep it.