Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-17-2016, 08:08 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Would you buy a lens with a small scratch

I'm curious, would you buy a lens with a small scratch or scuff on the front element? I've read articles from professional photographers who state a small scratch or two will have no affect on image quality. But in buying or selling lenses, there appears to be an impact on the perceived value, and price, of a lens.

What' are your thought on this subject? Would you buy a lens with a small scratch or smudge on the front element? And what about a teleconverter, would you buy a teleconverter with a small smudge or scratch? Inquiring minds want to know.

02-17-2016, 08:16 PM   #2
Forum Member

Stay away from smudges unless you can have confirmation that it's a smudge & nothing else-I got a lens in the mail today that turned out to have haze & fungus (Ebay has proven to be 50/50 for me). When it comes to scratches you should try to get as much info as possible. My photography mentor once bought a lens with a scratch, he then noticed a rattling sound which turned out to be a loose element. I don't know what could cause that but considering the scratch I think it may have suffered strong impact.
02-17-2016, 08:20 PM   #3

Yes, it takes a large number of scratches/scuffs before any affect on image quality. When/if you do notice any affect, it will usually be in backlit conditions. You can often get bargains if you can live with a few imperfections!

Where the scratch can cause problems is in resale values, bad for the seller, but good for the buyer!
02-17-2016, 08:34 PM   #4
Veteran Member

a small scratch does not affect the image quality. I would buy it if the price is right. As mentioned, it may affect resale value of the lens if you intend to sell it later.

02-17-2016, 08:37 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Dirty lens article
02-17-2016, 09:06 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Yes. My DA 35 2.4 has a small scratch but the images are still flawless. But it does reduce the value of the lens.
02-17-2016, 09:14 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Would a defect in the rearmost element, closest to film or sensor, have a greater impact on image quality than an identical defect on the front element?

02-17-2016, 09:37 PM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Thagomizer Quote
Would a defect in the rearmost element, closest to film or sensor, have a greater impact on image quality than an identical defect on the front element?

AFAIK, yes.
02-17-2016, 09:49 PM   #9

I have plenty of my own beat up lenses already so I don't need to buy any more They all work just fine. The classic trick is to cut out a small piece of a post-it note with the adhesive on it. Perhaps 5x5mm. And stick it on your front element. Then take some shots. Chances are you won't be able to see any difference in the results if you lens is focused at 3m to ∞.
02-17-2016, 10:35 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The one caveat is flare - scratches can light up and reduce contrast and or flare.
02-17-2016, 10:45 PM   #11
Veteran Member

People are way too paranoid about their glass. I´ve have cleaned fungus-ridden lenses, lenses with separation and have had lenses with all kinds of scratches and most work just fine. I´ve also have and had lenses that looks/looked pristine but were in horrible condition when it came to actual use.
02-17-2016, 11:07 PM   #12
dms
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A scratch is a reason for a low price--even though it shouldn't have any effect. So if known it is actually a benefit for the buyer--a bargaining pt.

A serious deep scratch/crack could cause flare--and if on the front oblective some india ink to fill it in should do the trick (I have heard this many times, but I did not ever have a reason to try it), but in this case I likely would worry that it suggests the lens was dropped/potentially subject to other damage.
02-18-2016, 01:28 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Great input everyone and what I had anticipated regarding the lens but wasn't fully certain. Now, what about my question about a teleconverter. Does the same still hold true or does a small scratch/smugde on a teleconverter affect the image or is it the same as a lens?
02-18-2016, 03:41 AM   #14
Veteran Member

I not only would, I have. Got a great deal, too, which is a pity for sellers of such lenses since a small scratch has zero impact on lens performance and so ought to have zero impact on lens value, IMO.
02-18-2016, 09:32 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

In considering buying such a lens, my questions would be:
-- How "small" and "deep" of a scratch/scuff are we talking about and where on the lens is it.? Like UncleVanya, I'd be concerned about a deep scratch in the central area of the front element lighting up. I might have much less concern about a small scratch on the periphery.
-- How cheap is the lens compared to what I could afford to get as a comparable new and pristine lens?
-- Is that particular lens a particular model, focal range, or type I would really like to have even if it had some flaws.
-- If the scratch/scuff could have some effect on image quality, would those effects spoil the kinds of pictures I want the lens for? Maybe they wouldn't.

I can appreciate all of the responses from people praising the wonderful pictures taken by their own beat-up, scuffed, and scratched lenses. Still, I think there is a difference between hanging onto a beloved lens damaged during your own years of use of it, and buying a lens from somebody else that has similar damage. You know more about the how your lens has been cared for, and whether the damage it has received was a fluke. With the other lens, mishandling might have been the norm.

Last edited by goatsNdonkey; 02-18-2016 at 10:53 AM.