Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
02-18-2016, 08:13 AM   #1

Broken gear in autofocus

Pls., advice where I can find brass gear for autofocus mechanics inside lens FA43/1.9.
Official Pentax service didn't supply parts and insist that I needs give lens for repair to the service.
Have the same problem with FA 85/1.4.
So I think there is a common problem for FA lens, because in this gear pin for camera screw had been pressed.
And gear have a strong tension, that finally will broke it.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-01  Photo 
02-18-2016, 08:35 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Are you looking for a brass gear to replace a brass gear or are you looking for a brass gear to replace a plastic gear?

If the original gear is brass, your best bet would be to find a broken FA 43mm and use it for parts. The second way I can think of would be to take the gear to somebody that does small part machining and have a new one made. The problem behind that would be the cost.

If the original gear is plastic, see if you can find somebody that does 3D printing. Show them the gear and see how much it would cost to make.
02-18-2016, 08:47 AM   #3

Original Poster
Original gear is brass. Will be happy to buy dead 43 lim, but it is not so common on the market.
So may be there is cheaper and faster way..
02-18-2016, 09:01 AM   #4
Pentaxian

I think you might be down to having a new one cast and machined or see if a 3D printed one might work.

If you want to try going the machining way with brass, look around your area and see if you can find a model railroad club that run live steam. The type I am taking about are the model trains you see people riding on top of. One foot and 1 1/2 foot gauge trains are normally hand built so a lot of the people that model that size of trains also need to do there own machining.

02-22-2016, 01:50 PM   #5

Original Poster
Same problem. Gear from FA85/1.4
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II s  Photo 
03-10-2017, 07:40 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Looks like I have the same problem with my FA 85 1.4
03-11-2017, 03:21 AM   #7

Original Poster
Well, if you find source for spareparts let us know. I had try to contact with US companies, that service Pentax gear, but in vain.
May be needs check Japan...

03-11-2017, 03:33 AM   #8
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
A jeweler or watch repairman should be able to make a new gear for you.
03-12-2017, 01:16 AM   #9

Same gear had the same problem in my 43mm Limited. Given the age (it's an old MIJ sample) I guess it is to be expected that something could go wrong.

In my case I took it to the Australian Pentax distributor (C R Kennedy), and they fixed it up for $80AU. Maybe a bit pricey, but that included labour and some CLA, so I don't think it was a terrible deal.

The FA* 85mm might be harder, even if it is a common part still available, given it is a legacy lens. I have gotten CRK to fix up my own legacy lenses when it has been possible (and haven't charged me when it wasn't, that was nice of them), so it can't hurt to ask if stumped, otherwise you need to try to canabalise another lens :-(
03-12-2017, 02:33 AM - 1 Like   #10

This company in Poland will make custom gears. But you should be able to find someone locally. The brother of a guy I worked with ages ago could have machined you one.

kkpmo - KK Produktcja Mikroantriebe Zahnrad, Schnecken, Mikro Getriebe und Car System Hersteller
04-16-2019, 08:51 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Sorry to dig an old thread. Just wander if anyone was able to locate or make one of the gear? My FA 85 has the same problem now
04-17-2019, 11:12 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by grahame Quote
Sorry to dig an old thread. Just wander if anyone was able to locate or make one of the gear? My FA 85 has the same problem now

If all else fails, send the FA*85 to NSB Tekunos in Japan and they can fix it. Run by ex-Pentax engineers and technicians after being let go by Hoya.

My friend had his FA*85 repaired too.
04-18-2019, 08:16 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by felixkh Quote
My friend had his FA*85 repaired too.
Thank you for the information. Do you know how much did they charge for the repair?
04-18-2019, 09:00 AM   #14
Forum Member

I think this company can print it for you:

3D Printing Materials: Plastic, Metal, and More - Shapeways

I have seen some printed steel object from this company and they looking good!

The only problem, you need a good engineer with print experience who can draw the model for you.

Olaf
04-18-2019, 09:21 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Darkover Quote
Olaf
Thank you for the suggestion. This is a great idea! I am not sure if I can find anyone to help modeling the gear, but this is definitely an option!
I always think: there should be a software that if you connect a camera and scan (take a panoramic video) the objectives, you can get the 3-D models automatically. All you need to do is fine tune the details, such as size. It will dramatically increase the usage (and sale) of 3-D printer.
3-D modeling is not an easy job for regular users.