Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-05-2008, 12:14 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
M 100/4 Macro

What the hell! just 4 n 1/2 hrs ago I had decided to end my gear woes and decided to buy the ultimate gear-A bigma and a 100/2.8 1:1 macro within 2 years..n buy the super takumar 50/4 macro for $88 to serve my immediate macro needs..(n use my k300/4 for telephoto needs)

Now got a call from an aquaintance saying that the M 100/4 macro lens will be available for me this month..for $200...

Now as I said, I was about to buy the Super takumar 50/4..It has given me mind blowing results..and made me obsessed with it.. My Journey as a Photographer (as yet!) more for my experience with it..

Super taku 50/4
Pros-
1. Price $88
2. good result, tested by none other than myself
3. works excellent with on board flash.

Cons-
1. no focus to infinity due to the crappy adapter
2. useless for other apertures except f16..it gives horrible exposures on all other settings except at f16, Iso 100, built in flash value at +1.
3. lesser working distance.

Now if I buy the M 100/4, I most likely wont buy a macro again...i.e I spend $200 this on my macro needs instead of the scheduled $400 next year..

So my question to u people is- Is M 100/4 worth $200?? how does it compare optically to the new 100/2.8 macros ffrom Pentax/sigma/tamron? CAn I use 2x TC on M100/4 to make it 1:1? hows the IQ?

Pros of new lenses(100/2.8)-
1. Autofocus, fast therefore can serve as a good portrait lens.
2. 1:1 macro without hassles..
3. TCs may be used to gain more magnification.
4. Wireless flash
Cons-
1.$400
2. cant afford one till next year.

Pro of M 100/4
1. Price..(SO can get the Bigma earlier! )
2. CAn buy it n start shooting straight away.
3. equal working distance..

Cons- That u are going to tell me..

If I buy M 100/4, then I'll as well buy an offered sunpak 422D flash ($100) and a bracket as I think AF360 is not necessary if not for its wireless function..

SHOULD I BUY M100/4 or buy sup tak 50/4 and then buy 100/2.8 next year..

Oh I hate this!!!

07-05-2008, 05:28 AM   #2
Site Supporter

For macro shooting you couldn't give me a M lens. Like bugs and plants with flash, hand held. This means using lens at shooting aperture to focus. Ever try focusing at f11 or 16? For studio macro on a tripod it might work. Open lens - focus, close down aperture shoot ( as long as its a non moving subject). Loosing af is no big deal because in the 1:2-1:1 range it doesn't work well (true of any brand camera and lens). You have to move your body in and out.
What crappy adapter does the M100f4 use? Most Pentax macros focus to infinity. There was a bellows macro once - it would behave differently. There are many ways to get "macro". You can stack lenses, use teleconverters, use diopters, and extension tubes. Its like plumbing.

thanks
barondla

Check out POINT & SHOOT CONTEST #8 in P&S forum. Enter #9. Any type camera except slr. Any brand. Any subject.
07-05-2008, 07:09 AM   #3

Original Poster
The SUper takumar screw mount lens has a pin which allows me to keep it wide open, focus, stop down and shoot...Wish all old macros had that pin..If m100/4's aperture ring is as smooth as my 300/4's then I don't think I'll have a problem with doing that on the M100/4..I cant think of doin that with FA 50/1.4 +2xtc..Fa50/1.4's aperture ring is too stiff to rotate instantly..

I was trying use a vivitar 2x TC on takumar and have gotten good result..the combo becomes a 100/8 and and yields 1:1 magnification IQ is great...

CAn I focus the M100/4 + 2x TC wide open, then stop down and shoot? how's the IQ?

I shoot strictly insects!! and sometimes flowers..

If M100/4 and the TC won't work, then I'll stick to the super takumar 50/4 + 2x TC combo and then wait for the 100/2.8 next year..
07-05-2008, 09:41 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
For macro shooting you couldn't give me a M lens. Like bugs and plants with flash, hand held. This means using lens at shooting aperture to focus. Ever try focusing at f11 or 16? For studio macro on a tripod it might work. Open lens - focus, close down aperture shoot ( as long as its a non moving subject). Loosing af is no big deal because in the 1:2-1:1 range it doesn't work well (true of any brand camera and lens). You have to move your body in and out.
What crappy adapter does the M100f4 use? Most Pentax macros focus to infinity. There was a bellows macro once - it would behave differently. There are many ways to get "macro". You can stack lenses, use teleconverters, use diopters, and extension tubes. Its like plumbing.

thanks
barondla

Check out POINT & SHOOT CONTEST #8 in P&S forum. Enter #9. Any type camera except slr. Any brand. Any subject.
I think he is talking about a M series k-mount bayonet. So no crappy adapter and no need to manually stop down. See Pentax Lens Review Database - 100mm F4 Macro

Steve

07-05-2008, 10:11 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I think he is talking about a M series k-mount bayonet. So no crappy adapter and no need to manually stop down. See Pentax Lens Review Database - 100mm F4 Macro

Steve
Yes, thats the lens I have been offered for $200...

Please read my thread and advice..As I said, I tried the takumar 50/4 with my 2x TC to get excellent IQ and 1:1 magnification..SO should I buy the Takumar 50/4 for $88 and then but a 100/2.8 next year or buy M100/4 this month and stop worring for macro for a decade!
07-05-2008, 10:16 AM   #6
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by hrishi Quote
Yes, thats the lens I have been offered for $200...

Please read my thread and advice..As I said, I tried the takumar 50/4 with my 2x TC to get excellent IQ and 1:1 magnification..SO should I buy the Takumar 50/4 for $88 and then but a 100/2.8 next year or buy M100/4 this month and stop worring for macro for a decade!
Remember that the M 100/4 will still require your 2x TC for 1:1.

Steve
07-05-2008, 11:30 AM   #7
roy
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
For macro shooting you couldn't give me a M lens. thanks
barondla
sorry but i have to disagree about the M100/4.. my opinion is that it's one of the best lenses pentax ever made even tho it's a 1:2... $200 is too much for it tho.. it's light weight and great and it gives fantastic images. i miss mine a lot but i have a 1:1 vivitar 105/2.5 now and i usually do not keep lenses in the same catagory..

as you can see it's a very nice piece of glass. as far as having to close down for metering is not a problem. what you do is meter once for a shot of the same thing.. usually the DR dynamic range does not vary too much on a macro shot. when you change subjects tho it's time to meter again..
you can give me a M100/4 anytime you want too.. i'll even pay the shipping..
JMHO and 2 worth..
07-05-2008, 02:14 PM   #8
Inactive Account

Macro

If you want to wait for the 100 f2.8 for least money, use your 50mm f1.4. Look at extension tubes, close-up lens, or reverse ring. Any one of the alternative methods can be had for less than $30.
A very good M 100mm f4 can be had on evilbay for $75 to$125. I have used extension tubes and closeup lens with the 100mm f4 to bring it to 1:1 also.
Like anything there are good and bad products in each of methods.
But you have a known quality in the 50mm f1.4.
Ray

07-05-2008, 08:24 PM   #9

Original Poster
Steve,

I do have a 2x TC from Vivitar. Though its old, it gives me excellent results with the Super Takumar and on the FA 50/1.4.

Roy,
Nice pics..Have u used the M100/4 for bugs? Have u used it with a 2x TC? How were the results?

Below are macros which I could take with the Takumar (without any extension/ TC)..All r unedited save resizing, cropping and copyrighting..

If u notice, there is a huge difference in the greens in ur images and greens in the above images..It seems M 100/4's colours are little dull( but certainly beautiful) Why is this difference? or simply ur plant was less greener?

As u can see, I'm floored by the images. I seriously don't understand whether its a magic of the Takumar Or any macro lens gives this good colours and sharpness Or Whether it is the magic of K10D Or whether it is the INdian monsoon which brings out the best in everything (including me)!!

Ray,

You are right about the 50/1.4..When I bought the 50/1.4 I had bought a 25mm ext tube thinking I'll be getting 1:2 magnification straight away..However, I cannot use on board flash with this combo. Thus, I'll have to spend on a external flash. Also, Whe range of working distance is very small. I've to get real close to the insect in order to use the combo and as a result, I miss too many chances...ALso, I haven't seen the magical colours of the takumar in the 50/1.4 + ext combo..
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo   
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 

Last edited by hrishi; 07-06-2008 at 02:53 AM.
07-06-2008, 03:51 AM   #10

Original Poster
A slight improvement to the scence..

A German made Bellows in excellent almost new condition with a 90mm Enlarging lens attached..$125..gives a sharp 1:1..

I tested it Vs the Takumar + 2x TC combo- the bellows blew the lens by far..However, I had to use f22 on the bellows f16 and f16 on the lens to get correct exposure..

I'm sure u people have experiance with bellows..I kind of fell in love with this one, but I'm not sure if it will be sturdy enough for my rough field needs..and anyways, I've always been a careless boy..