Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-19-2016, 01:57 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Looking for high quality Zoom to replace DA 17-70

Hello All.
I am looking for suggestions to replace my DA 17-70 as a walk around zoom for my K-3. My key wish list items are in order of importance:
1. Image quality, I am using DA Limited primes especially DA 35 macro and DFA 100 Macro WR so I am used to super sharp lenses and I am willing to pay for better image quality
2. Quiet Autofocus, this seems to be a given these days
3. Weather resistance. This will be my go to lens when I do not want to be switching primes. It is not a deal breaker but a really nice to have
4. reasonably compact size.

I have ruled out the DA* 16-50 due to its size and price and the DA 18-135 as I would be willing to pay up for better image quality. This leaves two contenders, the Sigma 17-70 contemporary and the HD DA 16-85. I realize the Sigma is faster but the Pentax has WR so the key consideration is image quality, meaning sharpness. With the lenses very close in price I would really have others weigh in on this which would be a better choice.

Thanks, John

02-19-2016, 02:13 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I replaced my DA*16-50 with the 16-85. Outside of the f/2.8 I honestly do not miss the 16-50. The 16-85 might not be quite as good in all situations but I am perfectly happy with it.

The 16-50 is going up for sale.
02-19-2016, 04:50 PM   #3
Veteran Member

John, looks to me like you have nailed down the exactly right options with the precise reasons for picking the right one based on your particular needs.

You will get a lot of opinions from those with the 17-70C, and the 16-85, but very few folks probably can give you info direct experience with both (and they will have to confess their LBA).

You should be happy either way.
02-19-2016, 09:10 PM   #4
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ScooterMaxi Jim Quote
You will get a lot of opinions from those with the 17-70C, and the 16-85, but very few folks probably can give you info direct experience with both
Adam might be able to??

02-20-2016, 08:21 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Honestly, I don't think there so much difference between theses lenses. or even with a 17-50 from tamron or Sigma sharpness wise. Everyone of these has its assets and drawbacks. All are in sharp and the most difference would be your primary usage and needs and the amount of money involved in the operation. Don't expect a real jump in sharpness.

And none are DA35 ltd sharp. None would have the contrast and flare resistance neither. It is a macro and a prime you speak of and the sharpest of all Pentax lenses on DxO !

If you don't have it already, the biggest difference would be to upgrade to filterless, higher resolution camera for sharpness purposes. Like a K3 or soon, a K1.

If you really wish to keep a zoom and have much better than the 17-70 that is a great lens and match all your criteria already except WR, the route to go honestly if a 24-70 + associated K1. This would be really sharper than your current 17-70.

The other you'll spend money to choose if you prefer f/2.8 or larger range or WR and mostly feed your LBA.
02-20-2016, 09:15 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jddwoods Quote
Hello All.
I am looking for suggestions to replace my DA 17-70 as a walk around zoom for my K-3. My key wish list items are in order of importance:
1. Image quality, I am using DA Limited primes especially DA 35 macro and DFA 100 Macro WR so I am used to super sharp lenses and I am willing to pay for better image quality
2. Quiet Autofocus, this seems to be a given these days
3. Weather resistance. This will be my go to lens when I do not want to be switching primes. It is not a deal breaker but a really nice to have
4. reasonably compact size.

I have ruled out the DA* 16-50 due to its size and price and the DA 18-135 as I would be willing to pay up for better image quality. This leaves two contenders, the Sigma 17-70 contemporary and the HD DA 16-85. I realize the Sigma is faster but the Pentax has WR so the key consideration is image quality, meaning sharpness. With the lenses very close in price I would really have others weigh in on this which would be a better choice.

Thanks, John
You're not going to gain much, if anything, by going to the Sigma 17-70 C. I find the DA 17-70 meters more consistently (probably due to constant aperture) with slightly better contrast. The Sigma gives you an average of a half stop faster aperture (if that matters) but is certainly a little more compact than the Pentax. Probably the way to go is the DA 16-85 to gain weather resistance.