Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-05-2008, 10:20 AM   #1
Veteran Member

whats going on here?

bought this lens awhile back, shitty IQ, i'm gonna put my money on a BF/FF issue which i will try to resolve now that i have a K20D

anyway this is the

Tokina "A" 80-200mm F2.8 lens that i got for what i thought was a steal,

my cheapo constant-F4.5 Tokina performs much better than this, at all apertures.

anyway this is a 150-200% crop at F4, at F2.8 its even worse, what do you guys think?

07-05-2008, 02:15 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Well...it looks like it might be backfocused, but such harsh lighting isn't the best for test shots.

I take it you got the manual focus version? Do you have other manual focus lenses that you have no problems focusing correctly? I just want to make sure that the problem is with the lens, and not with the photographer.
07-05-2008, 02:18 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
every single other lens at my disposal focuses fine when used in manual mode.

my old K100D even has a katz eye in it, this problem is exhibited on both cameras with this lens.
07-05-2008, 02:37 PM   #4
Veteran Member

wait.. when you use the camera with the katz eye, it still is OOF, when the split prism shows it as in focus?

07-05-2008, 02:38 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by OniFactor Quote
wait.. when you use the camera with the katz eye, it still is OOF, when the split prism shows it as in focus?
yep, exactly
07-05-2008, 02:49 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Have you been able to take any pictures that are in focus, even if it means ignoring the focus indicator? Bracketing shots on either side of the indicated focus might show how far off the lens is, or if it is even possible to get a sharp photo.
07-05-2008, 02:57 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
i can get a sharp photo if its indoors and i carefully sit there and focus with it

it just seems the moment i take this lens outside into bright light it gets annahilated, CA's go off the shart and everything gets a hazy look to it unless i push it into like F10++

and thats with a 3" lens hood on it

the other tokina, even without the lens hood makes much cleaner images in bright sunlight.

this Tokina AT-X seems to be an "indoor only" type of thing.

Last edited by Gooshin; 07-05-2008 at 03:03 PM.
07-05-2008, 03:25 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Given everything you've said, Gooshin, I can only think to ask one more question before I recommend you trash the lens : Have you shone a light into the lens and checked that there is no haze/fungus on any of the inner elements?
07-05-2008, 05:27 PM   #9
Veteran Member

let me get this 100% straight.

when you use the Katz eye to focus, and it is accurate with the split prism, the image produced off the sensor is not in focus?

what concerns me is that if it's in focus on the prism, it should be in focus on the sensor..
07-05-2008, 05:45 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter

I have the older non A version of that lens and it is most excellent. I'm looking at your picture ant thinking element seperation or possibly hidden damage from a drop or some such.
07-05-2008, 06:04 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What does the bokeh look like wide open? If it is very bad with strange weird highlights (much like the donuts in a mirror lens) it means that there is an element separation as Wheatfield says. I had that problem with a Tokina 28-70 F2.8. I really wanted to keep the lens so I had it looked at by a reputable camera/lens repair shop and they said there was element separation, and becaus of that decentering. They also said the lens was unfixable.

NaCl(got the tamron instead and am much happier)H2O