Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
02-20-2016, 05:52 PM   #16
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RGlasel Quote
Reminds me of a song by Queen, Lazing On a Sunday Afternoon. I don't want to discourage you from having some fun with a DA 10-17, but bring your 18-135 along for "normal" car pictures.
Would you recommend the 18-135 a ton over the 35-70mm? Reason being the 18-135mm is NOT pocket friendly, but the 35-70mm and the 10-17mm are. I could probably manage, but I'd be concerned for the well-being of the lens to be honest.

02-20-2016, 06:21 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Two that I use for car shows, either can be bought for $399 or less. Sigma 17-70mm Hsm DC and Sigma 10-20mm EX DG. The 10-20mm is a non fisheye lens..
02-20-2016, 07:09 PM   #18
Imp
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by fullmental Quote
I said it was a bad choice because no way I fit a whole car at 80mm from 3 feet away
yeah, 80 is really too narrow for me. Sometimes even 55 is too narrow on the 55-300.
02-20-2016, 07:29 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Reason being the 18-135mm is NOT pocket friendly
Can't argue with that, I usually leave the 18-135 on the camera and put my small primes in a jacket pocket. I'm not familiar with the 35-70, my standard film zooms were Tokina and Takumar 28-70 A lenses, neither of which are in the same league as the 18-135 for sharpness (never mind their infinitely worse autofocus). Unless this is the kind of car show with young models pointing out the attractive features of cars, you won't need anything longer than 40mm, but you probably want something wider than 35mm. If the show is busy, your ability to zoom with your feet is going to be pretty limited, either somebody is preventing you from getting closer or somebody is getting between you and the car, who you don't want in the picture. There is a reason why the publicity pictures for the major shows are all taken before the show opens.

02-20-2016, 07:44 PM   #20
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RGlasel Quote
Can't argue with that, I usually leave the 18-135 on the camera and put my small primes in a jacket pocket. I'm not familiar with the 35-70, my standard film zooms were Tokina and Takumar 28-70 A lenses, neither of which are in the same league as the 18-135 for sharpness (never mind their infinitely worse autofocus). Unless this is the kind of car show with young models pointing out the attractive features of cars, you won't need anything longer than 40mm, but you probably want something wider than 35mm. If the show is busy, your ability to zoom with your feet is going to be pretty limited, either somebody is preventing you from getting closer or somebody is getting between you and the car, who you don't want in the picture. There is a reason why the publicity pictures for the major shows are all taken before the show opens.
Hmm, I didn't really think much about the AF, I suppose loss of quick-shift wouldn't be fun on the 35-70mm. Plus the quiet DC motor on the 18-135mm would be nice, as will the 18-29mm range in total. I'll have to really think about this one...

From what I can tell about the car show itself, it's in a local park and you should be able to just walk right up to most cars. I've searched Flickr for pictures from past year's events and most seem to involve rows of cars with pretty much equal access to everyone. Not even the Bugatti Veyrons and even more expensive 2-of-a-kind cars were roped off

Last edited by fullmental; 02-20-2016 at 07:59 PM. Reason: Added links to expected setting.
02-20-2016, 07:51 PM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Oh interesting, I had no idea you could rent lenses that cheaply! The 10-17mm can be had for $45 for 3 days (incl. shipping to and from), damn good deal if you ask me. Thanks for suggesting it, I'm pretty sure I'm going to go for a rental at that price, it'll let me test it out at a show before I decide to commit to such an expensive lens.
Thanks for suggesting it, I'm pretty sure I'm going to go for a rental at that price, it'll let me test it out at a show before I decide to commit to such an expensive lens.
I have had no problems with renting from them, and I have been happy to try out lenses that I can't readily afford. 3 days is a good amount of time, and if you schedule a Thursday Friday Saturday rental period, you might get Sunday for free and return it on Monday.

Best of luck, and enjoy the show. Clearwater is a nice little town, and you can't beat the weather this time of year.

Please consider posting your pictures in teh Car Loving Pentaxians forum, link below.
02-20-2016, 08:46 PM   #22
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I'd go with the 18-135 and expect to use it at the wider end and have fun.

I shoot a lot of cars. I was using the DA 15 mostly because UWAs give the car some swoop, as mentioned above. Also, you will be a bit closer than the cellphones behind you, which is helpful. I used the 21, 12-24 or 40 sometimes, too.

As I no longer have any of that gear, I mostly use a 28mm on full-frame. I also use a 50 which works if there are not too many people in the way, and gives a pleasant perspective. I used to take a macro lens for close ups of details but I find I don't look for those shots much anymore. I used a 17 which seems a bit wide on FF, though can work for some shots.

17 (FF). Porsche club judging held at the Santa Monica air museum.

02-20-2016, 09:23 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

+1 for the DA 10-17 FE
02-20-2016, 09:31 PM - 3 Likes   #24
Veteran Member

The DA 15 mm is SMALL, LIGHT and EASY to handhold if there are too many people around for tripod use and a fave for cars.
Of course if its sunny out you get a lot of SUN-STARS on the cars too:
Attached Images

02-21-2016, 01:01 AM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Off subject, hey psychdoc, I checked out your gallery at smugman, you take really good photos. Especially some of the high ISO shots.
Now back to your regular programming.
02-21-2016, 05:55 AM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wingincamera Quote
Off subject, hey psychdoc, I checked out your gallery at smugman, you take really good photos. Especially some of the high ISO shots.
Now back to your regular programming.
Thanks
02-21-2016, 06:15 AM   #27
Veteran Member

Renting the 10-17 is a bad idea, because once you use it you're gonna want to own one. Might as well save the rental fee and buy the lens.

Brand new the lens is double your budget but maybe you can find a used copy that won't stretch your budget too much.

The 10-17/18-135 would be a great combination but the 35-70 in place of the 18-135 is a more pocket-friendly solution at the cost of a large coverage gap.
02-21-2016, 06:19 AM   #28
Pentaxian

Sigma 17-70mm . Samples

This last shot was using an AF540fgz in HSS mode F/3.5 1/6400 ISO 80.

I use an Uncle Milty Vest to carry lenses etc. It handle my Sigmas, my 55-300mm and quite a bit more. Rothco Uncle Milty Travel Vest

Last edited by Oldbayrunner; 02-21-2016 at 06:25 AM.
02-21-2016, 07:14 AM   #29
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Nice shots above!

Part of the choice depends on how much time you plan on spending at a show. Of course it depends on how many cars are on display, but if I am going to be there less than 2 hours, I probably won't changes lenses, so I'll go with my widest lens and get what I can get, I don't want to keep changing lenses at every car.
If I stay more than two hours, I make a another pass to focus on certain cars with a second lens.
Depending on the lighting at an outdoor show, I often forego certain shots on the first pass because I know the lighting will be more favorable if I come back later.

I haven't done it yet, but I am tempted to bring a tripod and an ND filter so I can use really long exposures to make crowds and reflections of people disappear. A tripod would also allow me to try out some HDR, always a good option for cars, if done right. Still, I like to travel light and the shows are sometimes packed, so I don't get to do that too often.
02-21-2016, 01:34 PM   #30
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I will be going to a car show soon and this thread is very interesting for me. I have the DA 20-40mm and DA 15mm and thinking those would be all I need. The car show I am thinking of going to is indoors. For a little wider I also have Bower 14mm f/2.8, but it won't fit in a pocket. I would need to bring a bag then.