Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-21-2016, 07:35 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Restoration of rubber rings of a 500mm series K

Time ago i bought an old 500mm f/4.5 series K, for a very good price.
I won the auction because the description was even too pessimistic (a rare occurence..):
the problem of the front lens is just a tiny peck, the mechanical problems are non existent, but the two rubber bands are not there anymore, and have been replaced with a flat soft rubber, badly cut and badly glued.
Does anybody know if somebody sells rubber sheets similar to the original Pentax's.
As far as i remember, all series-K lenses shared similar rubber bands (not sure about M-series, i have no old lenses here), but i'm not sure if the anti-slip "diamonds" of the big teles are sized as those present in small objectives.
Any advice is appreciated

ciao

Paolo

02-21-2016, 08:09 AM   #2

I've searched some time ago but didn't find anything suitable online.

One poster in a manual focus lens group on Yahoo said a local repair person had a whole drawer full of rings and collars he had scavenged off lenses over the years He was always able to come up with something suitable if not an exact replacement.

Perhaps you will have the good fortune to find a similar person locally?
02-21-2016, 08:47 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote
If you can measure the width and diameter of teh grips in mm, I can check and see if I have anything that might fit.
THANKS!
I will try to figure out, the original rings were completely removed.
The lens is in the hand of a friend, who repairs/restores vintage cameras and lenses (and is a great collector of stereo equipments).
Unfortunately he has nothing suitable, and proposed to buy a better looking rubber sheet, but it looks quite different from the original...

Ciao

Paolo
02-22-2016, 07:33 PM   #4

Well if you cannot find something suitable I might suggest an alternative. My wife uses a sony nex3n and has a konika hexanon 55mm f1.7. The rubber grip was stretched and worn out. It eventually came off and was more problematic than useful. I spent a while searching for an alternative and decided to use adhesive cork which is designed to line the bottom of cabinets. It was the same height as the aluminum extrusions surrounding the grip area of the lens, all I had to do was measure the circumference of the lens and use a straight edge to cut the cork. It is designed to be in contact with water and has a plastic bottom so it hold up nicely, I added a bit of beeswax to keep it from getting brittle on the grip and man does it look classy. I will be glad to share a pick when I have been a member long enough.