Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-23-2016, 10:34 PM   #16
Pentaxian
Kozlok's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Albuquerque
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,301
I have 35's, and don't use them much any more. I find I prefer the Sigma 24mm/1.8 indoors, and outdoors I like the 21 and/or 15. The 43 is always on hand as well, so the 35's mostly stay home.

02-27-2016, 09:53 PM   #17
Veteran Member




Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Bangalore
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,450
QuoteOriginally posted by hinman Quote
my FE 35mm f/2.8 may have to go if I find cheaper and faster alternative with AF
Any particular reason why you want to let go FE 35mm f/2.8?
02-29-2016, 04:33 AM   #18
Veteran Member
robjmitchell's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Melbourne Aus
Posts: 1,453
Why don't you get the dfa 50macro for FF. It has aperture ring and would have a similar FOV as the 35macro on aps-c
02-29-2016, 05:22 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
hinman's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Fremont, CA
Photos: Albums
Posts: 3,467
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by yusuf Quote
Any particular reason why you want to let go FE 35mm f/2.8?
No particular reason. I should not have gotten the lens to begin with. It is a wonderful prime lens but I already have FA 31 and DA 35. Among the three, I prefer the speed and rendering from 31. bokeh, color and build is best on the 31. The one advantage the FA 35 has over the DA 35 is the aperture ring and the better speed.

QuoteOriginally posted by robjmitchell Quote
Why don't you get the dfa 50macro for FF. It has aperture ring and would have a similar FOV as the 35macro on aps-c
I have DFA 100mm WR and it will worsen my lens problem. I don't intend to go FF on Pentax in the near future as in next year or so. I have gone to non-Pentax with Sony when A7 comes out. Had Pentax came out with K-1 earlier, I might not have gone the Sony route and the DFA 50 would be wonderful on the FF and so is the FA 31 and 35.

Cheers,
Hin

03-07-2016, 10:40 AM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
hinman's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Fremont, CA
Photos: Albums
Posts: 3,467
Original Poster
My FA 35mm f/2.0 is out and I dare not to have a suite of test pictures with the lens. The last one I did with two tele-lens end up withdrawn from sale.

Now I am debating with my DA 35


IMGP6611
by Hin Man, on Flickr


IMGP6612
by Hin Man, on Flickr


_IGP3029
by Hin Man, on Flickr


IMGP6636
by Hin Man, on Flickr




And I would go about torturing over the indecision as usual. There are close up and macro that my FA 31 can't do as well that the DA 35 can do at ease. Hope someone grabs my FA 35 quickly and make it less painful.

Cheers,
Hin

Last edited by hinman; 03-07-2016 at 10:55 AM.
03-07-2016, 02:49 PM - 1 Like   #21
Pentaxian
Na Horuk's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Slovenia, probably
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 11,183
What I gather from this thread is that Pentax has to make a nice, sharp HD DFA 35mm f2.2 with near focus (1:2), with aperture ring, WR and QS to fill everyone's needs
03-07-2016, 07:04 PM   #22
Pentaxian




Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Manila, Philippines
Posts: 1,264
QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
What I gather from this thread is that Pentax has to make a nice, sharp HD DFA 35mm f2.2 with near focus (1:2), with aperture ring, WR and QS to fill everyone's needs
Whoa! a redesigned FA 31 I will buy that.
03-22-2016, 05:58 AM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
hinman's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Fremont, CA
Photos: Albums
Posts: 3,467
Original Poster
I am close but not there yet in finding a buyer for FA 35 f/2.0. I am undecided with DA 35 f/2.8 because of great past experience in using the lens.

Has anyone owned both DA 35mm f/2.8 and FA 31mm f/1.8 limited together as a pair? Please comment on your usage. I like to hear other owners comments and assess within my usage to find reasons to keep DA 35.

Thanks,
Hin


Last edited by hinman; 03-23-2016 at 09:28 AM.
03-22-2016, 03:03 PM - 2 Likes   #24
Veteran Member




Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Sydney
Photos: Albums
Posts: 844
QuoteOriginally posted by hinman Quote
I am close but there yet in finding a buyer for FA 35 f/2.0. I am undecided with DA 35 f/2.8 because of great past experience in using the lens.

Has anyone owned both DA 35mm f/2.8 and FA 31mm f/1.8 limited together as a pair? Please comment on your usage. I like to hear other owners comments and assess within my usage to find reasons to keep DA 35.

Thanks,
Hin
I've owned both the DA35 ltd, and FA 31 ltd. let's not beat about the bush here, the FA31 is a fantastic lens, for what it does (high performance FF WA prime, that happens to be lovely on APSC as well), it's close to impossible to beat (although I've heard good things about the sigma 35 art). The FA31 is all about the bokeh and rendering.

The DA35 ltd is a harder beast to describe. It's bokeh is very good, but not as good as the 31. Its colours and contrast make the rendering a little bit punchier than the 31. The 31 suffers a bit with some minor purple fringing occasionally (the 35 is better in this regard). The 35 does macro, which is a big plus on the versatility front. The 35 is quite a bit smaller than the 31.

In virtually every head to head challenge between the two, the DA 35 ltd comes out on top (but not by much). If however you want superb bokeh, with loads of pixie dust 3d pop, and the f1.8 appeals to you; the FA31 is hard to beat. The DA35 ltd is probably a better lens for *most* people. The FA31 is that last lens you buy, because you've LBA'd your way through the rest of the range. A magically lens, but I will admit the DA35 ltd does 90% of what the FA31 does, and is much cheaper. If bokeh' your thing, the FA. If you want to add macro into the mix, the DA. If the FA is in your price range, you'll probably own both anyway....
03-22-2016, 11:51 PM - 1 Like   #25
Pentaxian




Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 4,857
For me there nothing the FA35 does that the FA31 don't. Ok it is smaller, but that all, so if the size isn't an issue sell the FA35. 4mm doesn't justify to keep both, the rendering is about the same but better on FA31...

Now if I got it right you have an A7 now and a lens DA35 ltd that not even FF... Except if you really need a macro lens at this focal length and plan to use it only for macro, I'd sell it. If you need a macro there a wide choice of possibility of FF for that. Lenses that would perform at all focussing distances without heavy vigneting.
03-23-2016, 01:09 AM   #26
Pentaxian
Jonathan Mac's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Madrid, Spain
Posts: 5,528
Obviously I don't use the same setup as you but the DA 35mm is the best lens I have ever used and I would never, ever sell it. I have the DAL 35/2.4 (same optical formula as the FA) but I only really keep it for use on AF film cameras.
03-23-2016, 04:41 PM   #27
Pentaxian




Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 4,857
QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
Obviously I don't use the same setup as you but the DA 35mm is the best lens I have ever used and I would never, ever sell it. I have the DAL 35/2.4 (same optical formula as the FA) but I only really keep it for use on AF film cameras.
Problem is the lens not made for FF...
03-23-2016, 05:19 PM   #28
Pentaxian
TaoMaas's Avatar

Join Date: May 2007
Location: Oklahoma City
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,292
QuoteOriginally posted by hinman Quote
I have three lenses that I want to consolidate to 1 single lens
[list][*] FA 31mm f/1.8 limited (keep)[*] FA 35mm f/2.0 [*] DA 35mm f/2.8 macro limited

Um...you answered your own question, didn't you? lol FYI, you picked the one I would choose if I had other macro lenses available to me.
05-29-2016, 05:04 PM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
hinman's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Fremont, CA
Photos: Albums
Posts: 3,467
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by robthebloke Quote
I've owned both the DA35 ltd, and FA 31 ltd. let's not beat about the bush here, the FA31 is a fantastic lens, for what it does (high performance FF WA prime, that happens to be lovely on APSC as well), it's close to impossible to beat (although I've heard good things about the sigma 35 art). The FA31 is all about the bokeh and rendering.

The DA35 ltd is a harder beast to describe. It's bokeh is very good, but not as good as the 31. Its colours and contrast make the rendering a little bit punchier than the 31. The 31 suffers a bit with some minor purple fringing occasionally (the 35 is better in this regard). The 35 does macro, which is a big plus on the versatility front. The 35 is quite a bit smaller than the 31.

In virtually every head to head challenge between the two, the DA 35 ltd comes out on top (but not by much). If however you want superb bokeh, with loads of pixie dust 3d pop, and the f1.8 appeals to you; the FA31 is hard to beat. The DA35 ltd is probably a better lens for *most* people. The FA31 is that last lens you buy, because you've LBA'd your way through the rest of the range. A magically lens, but I will admit the DA35 ltd does 90% of what the FA31 does, and is much cheaper. If bokeh' your thing, the FA. If you want to add macro into the mix, the DA. If the FA is in your price range, you'll probably own both anyway....
Thank you for all the valuable inputs. After 2+ months of listing, I have sold my FA 35 and kept the DA 35mm along with my FA 31. I recently used my DA 35 with a step-less DA to Sony E adapter. It does have visible vignette but to me it is still surprisingly good when I crop a bit. When I shoot closer to wide open the vignette seems natural that I hardly notice it. Maybe I have not looked carefully enough or maybe because I concentrate on the middle and with a crop. In stopping down to middle as in f/5.6 and f/8.0 range, the vignette seems more pronounced on LCD review of pictures.


[reposting from another thread]


20160527-DSC01801
by Hin Man, on Flickr



20160527-DSC01803
by Hin Man, on Flickr


And I have not done any vignette corrections for the following. All were shot in f/3.2 to f/4.0 rough settings, not wide open
on Sony A7.



20160527-DSC01500
by Hin Man, on Flickr



20160528-DSC01512
by Hin Man, on Flickr




20160528-DSC01506
by Hin Man, on Flickr

The square crops may have hided the vignette

When I stopped down a bit more to f/5.6 or f/8.0, the vignette are more obvious. Still learning and trying but I am glad to have kept my DA 35, it is more useful than I expect on FF.

The center crop on this close up certainly helps


20160528-DSC01506-3
by Hin Man, on Flickr

Cheers,
Hin

Last edited by hinman; 05-29-2016 at 05:12 PM.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
35mm, da, f/2.0, f/2.0 vs da, f/2.8, fa, fa 35 f/2.0, ff, gear, k-mount, macro, pentax lens, slr lens, sony, vs da 35mm
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
F 28 2.8 vs DA 35 2.4 connor_nolan Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 33 06-17-2015 02:50 PM
DA*16-50 at 35mm VS FA 35 2.0 Driline Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 9 04-24-2014 12:43 PM
DA 35mm f/2.4 vs FA-35mm f/2.0 pentaz Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 17 10-29-2012 01:04 PM
Da 16-45mm f/4.0 ED AL vs Sigma 18-50mm f/2.8 EX DC Macro vs Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 XR Deni Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 32 01-14-2010 11:13 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:18 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top