Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-23-2016, 09:46 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Pentax lens on Photozone

I have noticed that Pentax lenses reviewed on Photozone are sometimes given good reviews but qualified by the statement if you can get a good copy of the lens. Does Pentax have a quality control problems on their lens? And how does one know if you have a good or bad copy of the lens?

02-23-2016, 09:53 AM - 2 Likes   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by bscott Quote
I have noticed that Pentax lenses reviewed on Photozone are sometimes given good reviews but qualified by the statement if you can get a good copy of the lens. Does Pentax have a quality control problems on their lens? And how does one know if you have a good or bad copy of the lens?
No more so than any other lens maker.
02-23-2016, 12:17 PM   #3
osv
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
you can get a bad lens from any manufacturer, so the burden is always on the purchaser to test every lens for major issues, which is pretty easy to do.

i shoot sony ff these days, but there are a couple of fe-mount lenses that i wouldn't buy, because of the complaints, for example: 16-35 FE lens passed lab test. So....: Sony Alpha Full Frame E-mount Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

you can see pics of what to look for in a lens there, pentax lenses would be tested the same way.

notice how at least three people had problems with the 16-35, some even posted proof of the issues, but their complaints were met with some hostility from other 16-35 owners
02-24-2016, 03:29 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
The reason that I asked the question is that Photozone has comments about Pentax lens that are troubling to me as a Pentax user that Pentax has moved lens production to Vietnam but did not lower the cost of the lens. Also a question about the quality control of the lens production. They don't make these comments about Canon, Nikon, Sony and other makes.

02-24-2016, 03:40 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I got a de-centered copy of a DA* 60-250mm from Adorama and sent it back for exchange. The returned lens is awesome. Ditto for my Nikkor 14-24mm. Thank god for liberal exchange policies -- OTOH, that means that the chances of you getting a "reject" are in fact higher. So caveat emptor out there my friends.

Michael

P.S. this is perhaps the #1 reason to support local camera resellers, yet often they are non-existent. Go figure.
02-24-2016, 05:08 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bscott Quote
They don't make these comments about Canon, Nikon, Sony and other makes.

Of course they do!

Look at:

Variation Facts and Fallacies: Digital Photography Review

which uses as an example the *L series* Canon 100mm f2.8 Macro.