Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 35 Likes Search this Thread
02-25-2016, 09:00 PM - 1 Like   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yeah, there's nothing wrong with the Bokeh of the FA version.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

02-26-2016, 07:22 PM - 2 Likes   #32
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The WR will have the advantage if there are OOF highlights with the rounded aperture.

However, the F/FA versions have their own bag of tricks with the very useful focus limiter and the aperture ring for manual use (esp on non native bodies)

F100/2.8

Last 3 are on the Pentax Q btw.
03-25-2016, 09:26 PM   #33
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Yes, macro filters go on the front end of the lens, so they don't affect its communication with the camera. Tubes and bellows go between the lens and camera, and they can prevent AF, aperture coupling, and transmission of any other data. That is why for extension tubes and bellows it makes sense to get an old lens for a lower price, so you aren't "paying" for AF, WR, auto aperture because you won't be getting those things once you put the lens on "dumb" bellows.
Most macro filters are relatively bad, they negatively affect the image quality. Actually, technically, they all do. But the Raynox ones are really good, they cause next to no loss of IQ.

Btw, 1:1 macro means the image projected onto the sensor is the same size as the actual object. So you can imagine 1:1 is already fairly big. Something like a coin might be too big to get fully into frame at 1:1.
Btw btw, check out the DFA WR club thread. Most of the photos are the DFA 100mm macro: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/122-lens-clubs/87882-d-fa-wr-club-30.html
Hi,

I appreciate all of your excellent advice.
I did check out the macro thread after you suggested such.

Now I know what 1:1 means - thanks!

Have a great day,

Brian

---------- Post added 03-26-16 at 12:30 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by sinjin Quote
None of my photos have been taken with the use of a focus limiter, aperture ring, bellows, extension tubes or macro adapters (e.g. Raynox), although when I started out I assumed I'd need all that. But once I got started with dedicated 1:1 macro lenses* I realized that macro is brutally hard to get good at and the difficulty increases [exponentially?!] with magnification. I've got a long way to go learning about lighting (and perhaps focus stacking) before I begin on the path beyond 1:1, if ever.

I wouldn't factor future adapter needs too heavily in your decision at this time if you are beginning with a dedicated macro lens. In a nut: adapters are primarily used to allow close-focussing on non-macro lenses OR going beyond 1:1 magnification. When you experience how hard it is to get a good shot at 1:1, you may be happy to stop there! You can always swap out your macro lens in the Marketplace later if you feel the need for a feature yours lacks.

If you do want to go beyond 1:1, I recommend you read this excellent resource by one of our fellow forum members:

Extreme Macro Photography

Finally, thanks for the compliments on my photos. I really appreciate it!

*Pentax FA 100, D FA WR 100, 35mm Limited and Tamron 90mm. These are all tagged in Flickr, click on the tag to subset the photos taken with that particular lens.
Hi sinjin,

Your excellent information is very helpful.

I appreciate your time and expertise.
I have found that 1:1 is very tricky and a lot of fun too!
It has opened up a whole realm of different opportunities for shooting.

Thanks for the link to the UK website - those "super" macro photos are insane!

Best,

radman

---------- Post added 03-26-16 at 12:33 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by TER-OR Quote
Yeah, there's nothing wrong with the Bokeh of the FA version.

[/url][/IMG]

[/url][/IMG]

Thanks for sharing the photos.

Very nicely done.

Regards,

radman
03-25-2016, 11:00 PM - 3 Likes   #34
Veteran Member

As TER-OR said, "There's nothing wrong with the bokeh of the FA version."

03-25-2016, 11:31 PM   #35
Forum Member

Original Poster
Hi,

I appreciate everyone's advice.

I read the reviews on the different lenses and took as much of this thread's information in as I could.
Bottom line based on what I read here is that everyone of these macro lenses is awesome...just with some advantages and disadvantages of each.

I ended up buying a SMC Pentax-FA 1:2.8 50mm macro - I got it used with a warranty (which made me feel better than getting the one I saw on Craigslist) from Keh.
I have had some great fun already with the lens...but my photos are not nearly as incredible as the ones I have seen posted by you photogs in this thread.
Along those lines - pinholecam, where do you find such cool spiders to photograph? That first one you shot with the green eyes is really cool.

Please tell me exactly what the clamp is...The lens has a dial on it that has the word clamp and an "off" and "on" position.
When would I use the clamp?

Do you know if this lens has a focus limiter?

Thanks!!!
03-25-2016, 11:57 PM   #36
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by radman Quote
Hi,

I read the reviews on the different lenses and took as much of this thread's information in as I could.
Bottom line based on what I read here is that everyone of these macro lenses is awesome...just with some advantages and disadvantages of each.

I ended up buying a SMC Pentax-FA 1:2.8 50mm macro - I got it used with a warranty (which made me feel better than getting the one I saw on Craigslist) from Keh.
I have had some great fun already with the lens...but my photos are not nearly as incredible as the ones I have seen posted by you photogs in this thread.
Along those lines - pinholecam, where do you find such cool spiders to photograph? That first one you shot with the green eyes is really cool.

Please tell me exactly what the clamp is...The lens has a dial on it that has the word clamp and an "off" and "on" position.

Thanks!!!

The clamp serves only to increase the friction on the lens barrel so when the camera is pointed down, you don't lose critical focus. I too have the FA-50mm macro and personally, I think it's a tad bit sharper than the FA-100.... if that is possible! The only drawback is that with the 50mm, you have to be closer to your subject to achieve 1:1. But, both are superb lenses.... perhaps the sharpest Pentax has ever made!
03-26-2016, 12:01 AM   #37
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by radman Quote
Hi,

Thanks!!!

The FA50 macro is supposed to be a great lens (congrats )

As for spiders, I guess the grass always look greener on the other side.
I always see and envy what other shoots can get in temperate climates.

I live in Singapore btw, its a tropical climate and we have quite a few species year round.