Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-29-2016, 08:13 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Do you miss your old gear? I sure do!

I traded my Rokinon 16mm f2 for another member's DA35 ltd macro a few weeks back.

I was pleased with the 16mm, but wanted to try something new and always wanted to give the 35ltd a shot. I am in love with the 35ltd!

I have a K-3ii waiting to be picked up at the UPS service center... and I'm thinking about re-visiting my astrophotography.

Has anyone else here traded or sold a lens just to realize a few weeks later that they really miss it?!
I couldn't afford to keep the 16mm and buy the 35ltd at the time. I am also heavily shooting wildlife lately and the 16mm was going unused.

I do not regret the trade one bit! Like I said, the 35ltd is incredible and I love this glass... But my astro/wide angle needs are now not met.

Many people say the 16/2 is best for astro work. But if I use the astrotracer in my K-3ii are there other lenses that beat the 16/2?

I've been looking at the SamBoRoki's 14/2.8; 10/2.8; 8FE/3.5
Also the classic DA15/4

I'm torn.

Should I just buy another 16mm?
I kind of want to give another lens a try, but what's the best option?

Also, I'd love to hear your "remorse" stories if you have any!

02-29-2016, 08:30 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Since I like trying new equipment I buy and sell a lot of stuff. Sometimes I regret it and I end up buying the same lens I sold a few months back. This has happened to me many many times but I think of it as if I was "renting" the lenses. I think that makes me feel better
I would get another wide lens and if you get bored of it just sell it!
02-29-2016, 08:45 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by sergysergy Quote
Since I like trying new equipment I buy and sell a lot of stuff. Sometimes I regret it and I end up buying the same lens I sold a few months back. This has happened to me many many times but I think of it as if I was "renting" the lenses. I think that makes me feel better
I would get another wide lens and if you get bored of it just sell it!
I have done that for 15 years. I've learned from the remorse not to act quickly, but to have irregular 'Clearance Sales' rather than selling and then buying back. I clear out what I know I won't use or know I don't like.
02-29-2016, 08:49 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I know I'll be plenty busy with the K-3ii and DA*300,
I just figure I'll be kicking myself for trading my only wide angle (aside from 18-135)

I've got plenty of time to build my collection, and frankly the 300 and K-3ii were top of my list so I'm happy!
The FA77 has now taken the #1 position on team dream...

02-29-2016, 09:43 AM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by UserAccessDenied Quote
I've been looking at the SamBoRoki's 14/2.8; 10/2.8; 8FE/3.5
I think these and the Samyang 24mm f1.4 are generally accepted to be some of the best lenses for astrophoto, and not just because of their wide angle, fast aperture, and good price (though, all of that helps!). Its mostly about high resolution and lack of coma. You don't want to spend big money to get a lens that is UWA, but has some optical features that make it less than ideal for astrophotos.
But if you already had 16mm and don't miss it desperately, maybe it doesn't make sense to buy another copy of the same lens. The 14mm is a little wider and FF compatible. The 10mm is wider, still! Super, dramatically wide. Fisheye is interesting, but very different lens. So maybe try one of the other UWA Samyang lenses that fit the Field of View that you want to capture.
Pentax makes some nice WA lenses (21mm, 15mm) which probably render contrasts similarly to the DA 35mm ltd. But those lenses have much slower aperture and higher price point than the Samyang. Lots of people love the 15mm ltd and 21mm ltd for night photos.
Since you have the astrotracer, you might want to just try the 35mm ltd first. If you have a basic zoom lens like 18-55mm, you can do a test with that to see which focal lengths you want next.

I quite enjoy my Pentax M 28mm, I like its FoV. But it is not exactly very wide angle on APSC cameras. For astrophotos I think you want wider than 26mm, especially on APSC
02-29-2016, 10:04 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

On the question of 'remorse' after selling a piece of gear...

Last year, I committed to myself to reduce my lens holdings of some 25 different pieces - to sell the ones I don't use much.

I sold my Helios 44M-4 58/2 at a fair market price, which is not all that high. While it is a nice lens, I just wasn't reaching for it. When I first got it, it was in less-than-ideal condition - cosmetically it was fine but the focus was very stiff and there was a lot of crud on one of the interior elements. So, I did a complete tear-down, CLA, and rebuild. What I miss most is the exquisite buttery focus action I was able to achieve (I guess I got the grease on the helicoid just 'right'). Anyways, I have other lenses in that focal range, so I'm not missing it optically - I'm missing my rebuilt 'baby.'

- Craig
02-29-2016, 11:21 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I experienced the sell and buy regret when I was a Pentax guy. I had a 60d and the 18-135, I sold that lens for the sigma 17-50 and the 10-20. I thought my 17-50 and 10-20 couldn't be as good as a L lens, so I sold them and purchased the 17-40 f4 L and the 70-200 f4L. Man, was I disappointed . First, the 17-40L shouldn't be used as a standard lens just because it is on crop... it is a wide angle lens!!! Second, the Sigma lenses were absolutely wonderful, sharp, colorful, I just can't believe I sold them .

I was so frustrated with missing my old lenses, the image quality of Canon 60D, and the super high price..... That I sold the whole system and switched to Pentax, I have been slowly building my collection ever since and am SOOOO happy with the Pentax system.

I am now a lens hoarder. I do have some lenses that honestly don't get much love....

Sigma 28 mini wide
Helios 58 f2
Pentax M 50 1.7
Pentax 55-300 wr

I almost always use (in order)
Sigma 17-50
Pentax 50-135
Pentax 10-17
Pentax 18-135
Pentax DA 35
Pentax DA 50

Wish List:
77mm 1.8
31mm 1.8
100mm macro
sigma 10-20mm

02-29-2016, 11:35 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Just to clarify, I don't regret the trade one bit...
I absolutely love the 35 macro. Just wish I could have hung onto the 16mm at the same time.
However, at that time the 16 was the least used lens.

I like the advice to search for something different as I already had the 16.
I might go try a 10/2.8 and see how I feel about it. Worst case scenario I sell it and buy another 16!

I used to own a Sigma 8-16 but had to sell it for car maintenance.
That was an incredible lens...
02-29-2016, 11:40 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Re: Do you miss your old gear? I sure do!

Of all the lenses I've bought and sold while figuring out what I want or need, I've only really semi-regretted selling one--the DA 16-45. I replaced it in a nearly straight-up trade for the Tamron 17-35 because that also works on the MZ-S. The Tamron is a good lens, but the DA 16-45 had something extra that the Tamron just does not.
02-29-2016, 11:47 AM   #10
Veteran Member

I've never really gotten attached to any of my gear. The only pangs of loss I felt were when some was stolen, and that was a fear that the gear could not be replaced because current equivalents weren't up to standard.
02-29-2016, 11:57 AM   #11
Veteran Member

You can check the Samyang thread, I think someone posted some Samyang 10mm photos there: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/122-lens-clubs/137335-samyang-lens-club-46.html
There are definitely many photos with 14mm and 16mm there. I think most of the 8mm photos get posted into fisheye threads, though.

Edit: Oh, and as an answer to the thread title: I haven't sold any of my gear yet, so I have nothing to miss. I am frugal, so I wouldn't get much with selling my stuff anyway

Last edited by Na Horuk; 02-29-2016 at 12:36 PM.
02-29-2016, 12:26 PM   #12

I miss my K10D. I sold it and "upgraded" when it started getting up there in shutter actuations (55,000 or so). I then spent a lot of time trying to regain the image character that the K10D images had (at least to me). I've had a couple of K-x's, a couple of K20D's, a K-7, and a K-30 since the K10D.

I know it's been said a lot, by a lot of people, but there's just something about the images produced by the old 6 and 10 megapixel CCD sensors...I also enjoy the body on the K10D. It fits my hand well. I still have one of my K20D's which uses almost the same body, so I still get the same feel as I did shooting with the K10D.

I have noticed that prices for gently used K10D's are cheaper than basic point and shoots right now. Maybe I'll have to pick one up just for kicks. It would probably be a great camera to start teaching my kids on as well...

Last edited by jaremart; 02-29-2016 at 12:32 PM.
02-29-2016, 12:45 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by UserAccessDenied Quote
Just to clarify, I don't regret the trade one bit...
I absolutely love the 35 macro. Just wish I could have hung onto the 16mm at the same time.
However, at that time the 16 was the least used lens.

I like the advice to search for something different as I already had the 16.
I might go try a 10/2.8 and see how I feel about it. Worst case scenario I sell it and buy another 16!

I used to own a Sigma 8-16 but had to sell it for car maintenance.
That was an incredible lens...
Anticipating the K-1 experience minus the exceptional physical burden of carrying the new 15-30mm along with telephoto primes (but, you know, guys, convince me otherwise!), I ask: Do you have any clue how that 16mm f.2.0 might work on full frame? Anybody?! Yes, I know this is a crop factor lens by designation, but I asked an eBay seller to send me a shot from the Rokinon 12mm f.2.0 mounted on his new FF Sony A7 II (this being the reason he was selling), and the broader coverage beyond the APS-C frame was pretty good and looked clean -- quite useful, I judged, after cropping away just the dark corners. I decided to go with the more versatile and image-stabilized 8+ ounce Canon 10-18mm IS STM on an A5000 (or A7, as needed in low light) over the Rokinon or Sigma 10-20mm for now, so I didn't end up with that one to test further. K-1 compatible alternatives among prime lenses are the Tokina AT-X 17mm f.3.5, adapted as MF from the Nikon version (kludge-y), or paying too much for the older version Contax-Zeiss 18mm with Leitax replacement mount. This is why I think it's sensible to ask. Thanks -- Fred

Last edited by Kayaker-J; 02-29-2016 at 12:58 PM.
02-29-2016, 10:05 PM   #14

Photos: Albums
I miss one camera: The ZX-5n. The third time it needed repair, I sold it for parts on the theory that it was not worth continuing to fix a camera that persisted in breaking down. But it had been my favourite camera to use; quiet, light, felt great in the hands, easy control layout (and this was before I bought my LX.) A couple of years later, I ran into a woman who worked at the camera store I'd dealt with and who told me enthusiastically that the camera had been repaired, she'd bought it and she LOVED it. Sigh.
I miss *using* my film cameras -- still have them, but it's hard to justify using them instead of digital for most of what I do.
02-29-2016, 10:35 PM   #15
Veteran Member

I sold my Tamron 17-50 and 70-200 2.8 and I will get them again at some point and another sigma 50 1.4 hsm. That sigma was one of the best lenses I have ever owned the 70-200 was great also but the range was to long I would rather have a 50-135 it would work better.