Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-29-2016, 01:00 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Question on silver FA Limiteds

I was curious about the silver FA limiteds. Is the silver anodized or just silver paint like so many of the regular FA lenses?

02-29-2016, 01:11 PM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
I was curious about the silver FA limiteds. Is the silver anodized or just silver paint like so many of the regular FA lenses?
I recall a thread here regarding the silver DA Limiteds, and the owner was disappointed with the silver paint wearing away a bit. I do not know if it's the same deal with the FA Limiteds. FWIW.
02-29-2016, 01:26 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

@dcshooter should weigh in.
02-29-2016, 01:28 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I have the silver FA lens, the base plate is the same as the black one... so it is NOT anodized.

02-29-2016, 01:43 PM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kayaker-J Quote
I recall a thread here regarding the silver DA Limiteds, and the owner was disappointed with the silver paint wearing away a bit. I do not know if it's the same deal with the FA Limiteds. FWIW.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/10-pentax-slr-lens-discussion/270768-hd-l...r-painted.html

Steve
02-29-2016, 02:01 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I also have the DA HD 20-40 Ltd silver lens, the base plate is bare metal, same as others, not anodized; may be another HD lens is/are, but certainly not the 20-40 Ltd lens.
02-29-2016, 02:02 PM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I would expect either anodized or some sort of plating or high quality satin lacquer similar to the black models. The lens barrel is aluminum so any of the above are possible.

Steve

02-29-2016, 02:13 PM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
I also have the DA HD 20-40 Ltd silver lens, the base plate is bare metal, same as others, not anodized; may be another HD lens is/are, but certainly not the 20-40 Ltd lens.
By base, I assume you mean the mount. Yes, it would be bare metal (plated brass or stainless steel) for all Pentax-brand K-mount lenses with the exception of the DA L series and DA 50/1.8. That being said, the bodies of the FA and DA Limiteds are aluminum. The DA Limiteds apparently have a painted finish, though I don't remember ever reading what finish is used on the FA Limiteds.

Steve
02-29-2016, 03:34 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
By base, I assume you mean the mount. Yes, it would be bare metal (plated brass or stainless steel) for all Pentax-brand K-mount lenses with the exception of the DA L series and DA 50/1.8. That being said, the bodies of the FA and DA Limiteds are aluminum. The DA Limiteds apparently have a painted finish, though I don't remember ever reading what finish is used on the FA Limiteds.

Steve
Yes, that's what I meant... I thought people are concerned with anodized base-plate mount as it does not provide conductive surface. If others are talking about the paint on the metal body, then I don't know what is the concern; may be easy to rub-off? IMO, the DA HD ltd lens has the same built quality as the FA ltd lens. Sorry for the confusion.
02-29-2016, 04:21 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I would expect either anodized or some sort of plating or high quality satin lacquer similar to the black models. The lens barrel is aluminum so any of the above are possible.
Not that I need any more lenses but I am thinking of selling off some of my APS-C only gear and getting a set of FA Limiteds. Trying to decide on silver or black. There seem to be a lot of comments over the years of the black ones showing wear. The silver seem to not get those complaints. Hence my question.
QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
I thought people are concerned with anodized base-plate mount as it does not provide conductive surface.
Nope, only concerned about the body color and paint/coating. I was talking to a seller with a set of black ones and they indicated the black finish was wearing off.
02-29-2016, 05:50 PM   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

There seem to be a lot of comments over the years of the black ones showing wear.
It is hard to say. The silver might not show scratch or wear as badly. Mine has been in the bag in a leather pouch (not the one it came in) since 2009 and has no paint wear to date.

Steve
02-29-2016, 06:10 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks. Several places I've seen mention of the gloss coat or lacquer coat flaking off. Not the black exactly, just the lacquer. But of course that might have been just one run or from a particular time period. I think the silver really looks nice by themselves, but on the camera I think the black matches better so I am undecided. And in no hurry so plenty of time to research.
02-29-2016, 06:36 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I just closely inspected my silver 43/1.9 - I mean magnifying glass under a bright work lamp - and I certainly can't see ANY indication the lens is painted. Looked at closely enough my K35/2 shows the tiniest stippling on metal parts that appears to be sprayed paint?. My older black 31/1.8 has a scuff or two but not through to the metal - just rubs on the surface - and no stippling. My brand new 77 still has its shine, but it isn't a gloss shine - just a 'new' shine.

My bet is all three are anodized. Doesn't make me a coatings expert, of course.

Last edited by monochrome; 02-29-2016 at 09:46 PM.
02-29-2016, 07:13 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
There might have been a lacquer coating over the anodizing at one point. I think that is fairly common, to give a bit of gloss. Maybe they did not apply that on all versions / runs. So some people complain and others have no problem.

Which do you prefer, silver or black?
02-29-2016, 07:20 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
My FA77 is showing signs of brassing, the lacquer coating on the black FA limited lenses is similar to that used by Leica on their lenses.

The aperture ring lock pin on my FA77 is the most obviously worn part. I'd say the metal underneath the lacquer is aluminium - which is commonly anodized to increase its durability.