Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-02-2016, 01:23 PM   #1

Tamron lenses

Per my thread on the 28-75, I emailed Tamron to ask about rebates on Pentax mount lenses and this was the reply I received today (my emphasis):

Thank you for contacting Tamron. Typically rebates will only be offered on our newer lens line. None of the lenses eligible for the rebate actually come in a Pentax version. Unfortunately we do not currently have any plans to make additional Pentax lenses going forward. However we are always developing new lenses so It's possible that we may produce more in the future. To keep up with our press releases please sign up for our mailing list at this link: : Mailing List Signup

Kind regards,

Brian Marley
Customer Service Supervisor
Tamron USA, INC
10 Austin Blvd
Commack, NY 11725
Tamron Photo Lens; Di, Di-II, Di-III, Conventional Photographic Lenses, Industrial Optics

03-02-2016, 01:30 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Personally I would think it unlikely that Tamron will be releasing any lenses in k-mount, at least in the near future. If Pentax and Tamron have an arrangement to provide lenses under the Pentax label they are not going to confuse the issue even more by releasing them under the Tamron label.

The reason Sigma and Tamron have moved away from k-mount is simply volume. it appears Pentax has found a partial solution to that in Tamron's case by simply licensing (or having them made by Tamron) for the k-mount. Tamron has no risk as the development and inventory costs are on Pentax. But in return I would expect Pentax to ask for them to not compete for some time period.

If the k-1 volume moves the market share needle that might change, but that is 3 - 5 years down the road.
03-02-2016, 01:48 PM   #3

Original Poster
It makes sense, but it also sucks for us if we will never see rebates or other discounts on k-mount lenses!
03-02-2016, 01:52 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Tamron, sigma, zeiss, voigtlander..... Just a pity 😑

03-02-2016, 01:54 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It also means we do not have access to the full range of Tamron lenses, for example the 150~600mm or the new 90mm macro which looks as though it's as compact as the discontinued Voigtlander 90mm APO Lanthar macro.
03-02-2016, 01:56 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Location: Planet Earth, Sol system, Milky Way galaxy, Universe
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Personally I would think it unlikely that Tamron will be releasing any lenses in k-mount, at least in the near future. If Pentax and Tamron have an arrangement to provide lenses under the Pentax label they are not going to confuse the issue even more by releasing them under the Tamron label.
Well, they might (eventually), considering the 18-250 was available under both brands simultaneously.
03-02-2016, 04:37 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by starbase218 Quote
Well, they might (eventually), considering the 18-250 was available under both brands simultaneously.
Anything is possible. I just think if they are now "partners" in lens development that Ricoh will produce the k-mount versions of new lenses developed for k-mount. How long that lasts, and what they do about older lenses, who knows?

I think when we see the new primes released by Ricoh we will have perhaps a better understanding. If they are also Tamron designs then I think it will be a long time before we see again Tamron branded k-mount. But of course this is just speculation. Actually thinking about this, I am more often wrong than right so.................

03-02-2016, 05:44 PM   #8
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Good thing I am stocked up on lenses, only lacking 600mm.
03-02-2016, 05:53 PM   #9
Veteran Member

You have to entertain the thought that the new partnership with Tamron is likely to include provisions that will tend to encourage some Pentax brand exclusivity to maintain a pricing structure supporting limiting scale. Unlike any other manufacturer, Pentax maintains lenses in four sensor ranges (Q, APS-c, 35mm, 645) and requiring three distinct mounts - none of which are considered competitively mass produced.

It is possible that we'll see K mounts in the older Tamron lens designs for a few years, but it seems more probable that Tamron won't be releasing new batches of the lenses for the duration of the partnership agreement. This is no different than what we saw with the Tokina partnership.

Most of the distant hope for AF competition would come from Sigma, Samyang if it pursues AF, or a smaller player further down the food chain.