Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-04-2016, 07:13 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Lens Rubber knurl cleaning?

Hi all, how do you guys clean the rubber knurl on the lens barrel of Pentax lenses such as the 18-135mm?

03-04-2016, 07:24 AM   #2
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote
Toothbrush and armor-all.
same here
03-04-2016, 10:44 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
To remove finger oil and dirt I use a soft toothbrush and a 30% solution of window cleaner and water. I wet the brush and tap the water off and very gently scrub the grip in a circular pattern. It's a pretty dry treatment, leaves a slight foamy residue. Dry with a microfiber cloth. Follow with a light treatment with a natural rubber restorative cream that removes surface oxidation and brittleness.

I don't care for the oily residue of Armor All.
03-04-2016, 10:59 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I second that! The one time I had my car interior professionally cleaned I had to go out and buy a new steering wheel cover because it bothered me so much. Now I only use it on the dash board and door sills and I use a small spritz of Windex for other plastic surfaces and knobs that I'll actually be touching.

I haven't had to clean my 18-135 yet, but I bought an older Sigma 70-300 that had white chalky residue on the rubber ring that I cleaned off. Water wouldn't work, and I ended up I using isopropanol / rubbing alcohol to break up the grime and drying it right after. In hindsight that may not have been the wisest decision, but that's what I had and the ring is still in good condition. (I think they saving grace is that I dried it right away before the isopropanol could react with the rubber.)

I'd say try just water first to avoid any chemical reactions that might degrade the material. If that doesn't work, move on to Armor All or window cleaner, but as little as possible.

03-04-2016, 11:11 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Here's a related thread:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/10-pentax-slr-lens-discussion/248242-pres...er-lenses.html
03-04-2016, 01:30 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

To remove finger oil and dirt I use a soft toothbrush and a 30% solution of window cleaner and water. I wet the brush and tap the water off and very gently scrub the grip in a circular pattern. It's a pretty dry treatment, leaves a slight foamy residue. Dry with a microfiber cloth. Follow with a light treatment with a natural rubber restorative cream that removes surface oxidation and brittleness.

I did a search for "natural rubber restorative cream" and got a wide variety of topics back, but not a product for protecting rubber.
Do you have a certain brand or type that you prefer? Something that is readily available, or does it have to be ordered?
03-04-2016, 01:47 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by yucatanPentax Quote
I did a search for "natural rubber restorative cream" and got a wide variety of topics back, but not a product for protecting rubber.
Do you have a certain brand or type that you prefer? Something that is readily available, or does it have to be ordered?
i'll grab it and respond when I get home. I ordered it years ago on the net.

03-04-2016, 05:10 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Tony3d Quote
Hi all, how do you guys clean the rubber knurl on the lens barrel of Pentax lenses such as the 18-135mm?
Great thread and good info everyone. I have a Konica lens, where the rubber grip is in great shape, but is loose. Any suggestions on a type of glue to reattach the rubber grip?
03-04-2016, 05:30 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The "rubber" use" in lens grips (parituclarly Pentax ones) is actually usually a synthetic plastic, not natural/vulcanied latex. A UV protectant/plastcizer like Armor-All really is the best solution for long-term preservation of your grips. The obvious residue will wear off after just a day or two's use.
I didn't mean 'rubber' as in real, natural rubber . The product I use is actually a car detailing conditioner designed for vinyl and plastic interior surfaces, especially vinyl car seats - Poor Boy's Natural Look - that is water based and leaves a matte finish.

But Brian is the expert on lens restoration. I defer to his recommendation.

Last edited by monochrome; 03-04-2016 at 05:56 PM.
03-04-2016, 05:54 PM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jlstrawman Quote
Great thread and good info everyone. I have a Konica lens, where the rubber grip is in great shape, but is loose. Any suggestions on a type of glue to reattach the rubber grip?
I would also defer to Brian and his expertise but I used 3M FasTack trim adhesive for years on professional bicycle racing tubular tires. Clement and the other Italian cements had a strange propensity to loosen under extensive downhill braking heat. You haven't experienced the ultimate road rash until you've rolled a tire on a 50mph descent…….YMMV.
03-04-2016, 10:41 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I didn't mean 'rubber' as in real, natural rubber . The product I use is actually a car detailing conditioner designed for vinyl and plastic interior surfaces, especially vinyl car seats - Poor Boy's Natural Look - that is water based and leaves a matte finish.

But Brian is the expert on lens restoration. I defer to his recommendation.
Thanks for that info! I found Poor Boy's Natural Look at that link. It sounds interesting. And not too expensive. I'll try some for car and lenses, both, perhaps!

Sounds like a good solution. I'll have to check it out. I usually use a standard contact cement. I clean both the metal surface and the rear surface of the grip with alcohol or naphta first for best adhesion.

If the grip has expanded, you can put some rubber bands around it and hit it with a hairdryer, which is often effective at shrinking the rubber back to its original size.
Brian, thank you for even more tips. I was wondering if you had any idea about a source for new / replacement "rubber." I have some old silver Tamron Adaptals which have lost their rubber over time. They're perfectly good lenses, but no rubber. As always, great info and kind of you to share!
03-04-2016, 11:52 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks to everyone! Helpful responses!
03-05-2016, 08:04 AM   #13

I like to use an LCD screen cleaning solution from Calrad Electronics. It's a little more viscous than your traditional screen spray but still very much a liquid. I just spray a couple spritzes into the microfiber cloth and gently wipe down my equipment, it works very well.
03-10-2016, 06:29 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sounds like a good solution. I'll have to check it out. I usually use a standard contact cement. I clean both the metal surface and the rear surface of the grip with alcohol or naphta first for best adhesion.

If the grip has expanded, you can put some rubber bands around it and hit it with a hairdryer, which is often effective at shrinking the rubber back to its original size.
Thanks for the helpful info, dcshooter. Using the hair dryer has helped just a bit. Closer examination shows the entire metal focus ring is just noticeably loose. Since I have no experience with lens dis-assembly/assemby, I'll leave that alone and live with it.

Thanks also, to lukelele for mentioning the adhesive.