Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-05-2016, 06:36 PM   #1

tamron 70-200 f/2.8 vs pentax 70-200 f/2.8

i'm just wondering if there is any major difference between the two lenses. just to clarify, i'm talking about the following:
Tamron 70-200mm F2.8 Di LD Macro
vs
HD Pentax-D FA* 70-200mm F2.8 ED DC AW

the only major thing i am seeing between the two is that the pentax is boasting about its weather seals (while tamron, though also weather sealed, isn't using it as a selling point), the tamron is a 'macro' lens, and that the pentax is about double the price of the tamron...

and if i'm not mistaken, the new pentax lens is a tamron lens rebranded.

so, aside from someone really wanting to support the pentax brand, why would anyone get the pentax over the tamron?

dont get me wrong, i'm not trying to insult pentax in anyway. i'm just curious, and i'm making my ignorance more obvious. am i missing anything?

thanks in advance.

03-05-2016, 06:42 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by hadi Quote
the new pentax lens is a tamron lens rebranded.
You are mistaken.
03-05-2016, 06:44 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
The Pentax will be a grade above the Tamron (which I own), and priced appropriately.
03-05-2016, 06:47 PM   #4
Emperor and Senpai
Loyal Site Supporter

i'm just wondering if there is any major difference between the two lenses. just to clarify, i'm talking about the following:
vs

the only major thing i am seeing between the two is that the pentax is boasting about its weather seals (while tamron, though also weather sealed, isn't using it as a selling point), the tamron is a 'macro' lens, and that the pentax is about double the price of the tamron...

so, aside from someone really wanting to support the pentax brand, why would anyone get the pentax over the tamron?

dont get me wrong, i'm not trying to insult pentax in anyway. i'm just curious, and i'm making my ignorance more obvious. am i missing anything?

thanks in advance.
The Tamron lens offered in Pentax mount is screw drive and is not weather sealed, but is way cheaper, sharp, and good across the zoom range wide open. They are two different lenses all together, but I imagine since they have the same optical specs the Pentax with its updated coatings and design will perform a little bit better (5%? 10%?), plus be silent and sealed while doing it. If it is worth the price difference for what you do then go for the Pentax one.

03-05-2016, 06:50 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by VoiceOfReason Quote
since they have the same optical specs the Pentax with its updated coatings and design
The lenses are unrelated.

You're thinking of the 15-30 and 24-70.
03-05-2016, 06:54 PM   #6
pjv
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery

The new 15-30 and 24-70 are rebranded Tamron lenses. The 70-200 and 150-450 are Pentax.

EDIT - clackers types faster than me !!!
03-05-2016, 07:08 PM   #7
Pentaxian

I found an online source saying DFA* Pentax 70-200mm has 19 elements in 16 groups.
But the Tamron 70-200mm has 18 elements in 13 groups.

The Pentax is more than just WR - it is AW. And it has DC silent AF, focus limiter (and some other focus options?), and premium aerobright inner coatings. Its MFD is 1.2m. Tamron's MFD is 0,95m (more magnification, hence the "macro" designation, despite 1:3.1 not being true macro). Pentax weighs 1.8kg, and Tamron 1.15kg.
So it looks like they are two different lenses, and the Pentax should be slightly better in pretty much every department, except minimum focus distance/max magnification; and having a lighter weight (though, some people like a heft to their telephotos)

But some other Pentax lenses are Tamron rebadges. Some are even Tokina collaborations, and in the past some were even done in cooperation with Zeiss, if I remember right. Lens manufacture often has these kind of arrangements, where some brands might work together or outsource something. And then there is the whole fear of some brands copying optical designs of other brands, whether that is stealing or just coincidental, etc. But that's a whole other topic
03-05-2016, 07:12 PM   #8
Administrator
Site Webmaster

The new Pentax 70-200mm is designed to be a professional-grade lens, whereas the K-mount Tamron 70-200mm is a previous-generation zoom that's an affordable solid performer, but not the latest and greatest. Tamron's VC II version of the 70-200mm is not available for Pentax, and this new lens isn't based on it.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

03-05-2016, 07:22 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Location: Planet Earth, Sol system, Milky Way galaxy, Universe
The Tamron has noisy screw-drive AF, the Pentax has near-silent DC AF.
The Tamron has a clumsy way of switching to MF: you have to set both the lens and the camera body to MF. The Pentax AF/MF switch on the lens does everything for you.
The Tamron does not have quick-shift AF, the Pentax does.
The Tamron is not weather-sealed, the Pentax is.

On the upside, the Tamron is a lot lighter and probably a bit smaller than the Pentax. And it's a lot cheaper.

Considering the price, the Pentax should be optically better, but we don't know yet whether it is.

Ed (photouniverse) reviewed the Tamron once and said it's an excellent value, professional-quality lens. Other reviews are generally also very positive about the optics.
03-05-2016, 07:34 PM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteQuote:
vs

thanks in advance.
Have you seen the DFA 70-200 lens? If I am not mistaken, this lens is designed by Pentax not a Tamron rebranded lens.
03-05-2016, 08:41 PM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
this lens is designed by Pentax
Indeed it is. Here are the engineers/designers:

03-05-2016, 09:03 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I look forward to future k-1 based comparison article with these lenses pitted against each other.
03-05-2016, 09:11 PM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
I look forward to future k-1 based comparison article with these lenses pitted against each other.
And against recent 70-200 Sigma's pls, if possible.
03-05-2016, 09:25 PM   #14
Emperor and Senpai
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
The lenses are unrelated.

You're thinking of the 15-30 and 24-70.
I meant optical specs as in 70-200 f/2.8. Maybe you meant to quote the guy above me?
03-06-2016, 04:17 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I think the Pentax 70-200 is supposed to be a pro level glass -- heavier than the Tamron, faster auto focus (and silent AF), and weather sealing. That is all speculation at this point, as it hasn't been released or reviewed yet. Of course Pentax will say that it is stellar, but till folks have had a chance to put it through its paces, we won't know for sure.

I would also comment that the Tamron 70-200 isn't a macro lens, it just is capable of fairly close focusing. Pentax is a lot more stingy with the term "macro" and usually only puts it on lenses capable of 1:2 or 1:1 macro. Sigma and Tamron on the other hand slap the label on any lens that can focus relatively close. (By those standards the DA 15 and the DA 10-17 should be labeled macro lenses).