Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
03-06-2016, 03:23 AM   #1

Zebra Tak 55/2 ?

My recent Pentax K purchase came with a zebra Auto-Takumar 55mm f2 lens. But according to documentation, only the f1.8 came out with the zebra finish while the f2 and f2.2 were completely black.

Frank's documentation does mention a zebra f1.9 55mm which apparently was solely made for the Tower 29 sold by Sears, Roebuck & Co in the USA as a re-badged Pentax K.

Does anyone else know of any other zebra Auto-Tak 55/2, or do I have a bit of a rare horse?

Last edited by RR84; 03-06-2016 at 03:49 AM.
03-06-2016, 05:02 AM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice combination! I've never seen a zebra f2 lens either, in the documentation or on the web/for sale.

The f2 and f2.2 versions were not all black - as you can see in my photo below, one is all black, the other (the f2) has a silver aperture ring. I've also seen the f2.2 with a silver aperture ring.

So I wonder if someone has filed down the flat parts of focus ring to make the lens into a zebra? As happens occasionally. There was a "zebra" Takumar 24/3.5 for sale recently in Ireland, it looked quite good.

03-06-2016, 05:14 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by utak Quote
So I wonder if someone has filed down the flat parts of focus ring to make the lens into a zebra?
Thanks for the info my friend! I seriously doubt the focus ring has been filed down to look like a zebra - it, and the K body it was attached to belonged to an old gentleman in Kyoto, Japan. If, in the odd chance it has been filed, they did a bloody good job of it!

P.S When I said "completely black", I was referring only to the focus ring.

Last edited by RR84; 03-06-2016 at 05:25 AM.
03-06-2016, 05:57 AM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
It's very likely that you have a "Frankenlens", one lens made from 2 broken lenses or a lens repair using some parts from a sister lens. Physically and optically there is very little difference between these lenses and a large number of parts would be interchangable.

Glenn

03-06-2016, 06:06 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by G and T Quote
It's very likely that you have a "Frankenlens", one lens made from 2 broken lenses or a lens repair using some parts from a sister lens. Physically and optically there is very little difference between these lenses and a large number of parts would be interchangable.

Glenn
Quite possibly Glenn. I'm getting in touch with the previous owner in Japan to find out any information I can on the history of the lens. There's a chance he's the original owner, so he might know the lens's service history etc.

Edit: I have uploaded a photo album of the zebra 55/2 to imgur. You can view it here.

Last edited by RR84; 03-06-2016 at 06:17 PM.
03-11-2016, 12:13 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
As written in my e-mail I have the strong feeling that one of the former owners of your camera had the lens barrel polished to make it more fitting to the Pentax K (which, as we all know, must have a Zebra takumar).

I have a Super-Takumar 55mm f/2 in bad condition in my collection which also was "zebrafied" by one of its former owners. Although the lens itself is in bad shape, I can tell that the barrel was professionally polished. But it's by no means original and as it is, it's just a conversation piece now.