Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-06-2016, 07:47 AM   #1

Sigma 120-400 4.5-5.6 APO HSM

I have used this lens for over a year now and am very happy with the handling and the IQ but I'm guy and I want more. So I ask has anyone used a TC with this lens (Sigma doesn't make a comparable one ) and if so what are your results ?
Dave

Last edited by originalwinger; 03-06-2016 at 08:26 AM.
03-06-2016, 10:13 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I can't say about that, but I know the Pentax 1.4 tc worked with the Sigma 150-500 HSM I used to have, though aperture and focal length weren't properly communicated.
03-06-2016, 05:43 PM   #3
Pentaxian

I do have this lens and have tried it with both the Sigma APO EX 1.4 and 2.0 teleconvertors on my K5. According to the Sigma website the lens can utilize both these TC's, but autofocus will not function so only manual focusing will work. The image quality is compromised, especially with the 2.0.
A greater problem that occurs quite frequently is that when I use this combination it causes my K5 to lock up and it seems to lose its power. Nothing works - no lcd, no camera functions. I have to reinstall the battery for the camera to bring it back to life. Because of this I have stopped trying to use the TC's with the lens for fear of doing permanent damage. That is my experience. Love the lens though.
03-07-2016, 04:13 AM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by VoiceOfReason Quote
I can't say about that, but I know the Pentax 1.4 tc worked with the Sigma 150-500 HSM I used to have, though aperture and focal length weren't properly communicated.
Thanks for the information, it gives me some hope.
Dave

---------- Post added 03-07-2016 at 06:32 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by zman Quote
I do have this lens and have tried it with both the Sigma APO EX 1.4 and 2.0 teleconvertors on my K5. According to the Sigma website the lens can utilize both these TC's, but autofocus will not function so only manual focusing will work. The image quality is compromised, especially with the 2.0.
A greater problem that occurs quite frequently is that when I use this combination it causes my K5 to lock up and it seems to lose its power. Nothing works - no lcd, no camera functions. I have to reinstall the battery for the camera to bring it back to life. Because of this I have stopped trying to use the TC's with the lens for fear of doing permanent damage. That is my experience. Love the lens though.
Thanks zman, I could live without AF but the degradation in IQ and the lockups is not good. I did use the 120-400 with a Pentax 1.7 AFA but it took the edge off of the IQ , I would love to try the Pentax 1.4. just have to find someone who has one.
Dave

03-20-2016, 01:29 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
On a related note I'm sure it hasn't escaped notice that pricing for Nikon or Canon versions of this lens are often significantly less, and by significantly I mean by $100's of dollars. For instance a look at Amazon shows the Pentax version at $1000 but both the Canon and Nikon versions at less than $500. (and some other lenses have the same pricing disparity between platforms.)

So with the availability of Canon/Nikon to K-mount converters what would be the downside if I opted for a $50 converter and created a now-manual Sigma 120-400 but saving a bundle? Anything else? Seems to me to perhaps be worth the loss of AF if I'm not giving up image quality too with using the converter.

I'll be the first to admit I know little about the trade-offs but I'd like someone to chime in that does.

Last edited by gatorguy; 03-20-2016 at 06:00 PM.
03-20-2016, 09:56 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
On a related note I'm sure it hasn't escaped notice that pricing for Nikon or Canon versions of this lens are often significantly less, and by significantly I mean by $100's of dollars. For instance a look at Amazon shows the Pentax version at $1000 but both the Canon and Nikon versions at less than $500. (and some other lenses have the same pricing disparity between platforms.)

So with the availability of Canon/Nikon to K-mount converters what would be the downside if I opted for a $50 converter and created a now-manual Sigma 120-400 but saving a bundle? Anything else? Seems to me to perhaps be worth the loss of AF if I'm not giving up image quality too with using the converter.

I'll be the first to admit I know little about the trade-offs but I'd like someone to chime in that does.
You have two options in such adapters, and only in a Nikon to Pentax configuration - forget about Canon because the lens won't have an aperture ring for you to open.

One doesn't have glass but works as a short extension tube, you lose the ability to focus from (x)metres to infinity.
The other has glass to correct for the infinity focus problem, but it is poor quality glass. You will not get anywhere near the same image quality as buying the lens in the correct mount for your camera. To be clear, the amount of money you save will not be enough to justify the difference in quality.
03-21-2016, 05:52 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Many thanks Mock. I was hoping there was a decent solution. BTW, any idea why the Pentax versions of many of the better 3rd-party lenses are priced so much higher? Surely couldn't be due to the mount alone as it couldn't be much more costly to substitute one for another in production could it? Would removing the in-lens stabilization needed for Nikon/Canon actually ADD to the cost? Just doesn't seem to make a whole lotta sense but maybe someone knows the answer. Not that it matters I guess. Pay to play right?

03-21-2016, 09:20 AM   #8
Site Supporter

At that price I'd almost look for a used 150-500 or 50-500. You see them pop up reasonably priced here on occasion.
03-21-2016, 04:19 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
Many thanks Mock. I was hoping there was a decent solution. BTW, any idea why the Pentax versions of many of the better 3rd-party lenses are priced so much higher? Surely couldn't be due to the mount alone as it couldn't be much more costly to substitute one for another in production could it? Would removing the in-lens stabilization needed for Nikon/Canon actually ADD to the cost? Just doesn't seem to make a whole lotta sense but maybe someone knows the answer. Not that it matters I guess. Pay to play right?
I think it is a matter of supply, there are many more specimens of a given lens in C/N mounts, as well as many more alternative lenses to choose from. In Pentax mount long telephotos, we don't have as much choice, and not as much variety, so we pay more.