Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
03-07-2016, 08:50 AM   #1
Veteran Member

What to look out for when buying a used lens?

I'm going to go look at some lenses being sold locally (DA 40 XS, DA 10-17 FE) what should I look out for?

03-07-2016, 09:02 AM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/54-pentax-lens-articles/59245-pawnshop-le...ers-guide.html

The article is mainly concerned with older lenses than the ones you're looking at, but there's relevant info there nonetheless.
03-07-2016, 09:43 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
For those newish lenses dents might indicate decentered glass. Fungus should not be a problem. Dust could be a problem even if its cleaned on the outside. Visible scratches on glass is detectable. Does everything move? OK the XS does not have too many moving parts on the outside...

To sum it up: what you see is what you get.

Seb
03-07-2016, 11:46 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The old saying holds: If the price looks to good to be true, it is. DO NOT BUY. Otherwise: look at everything; move everything that should move; try to move anything that shouldn't move; bring along a camera body and if possible mount the lens and take several tests (different distances, different focal lengths, different apertures).

Last edited by WPRESTO; 03-07-2016 at 07:21 PM.
03-07-2016, 11:49 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
The old saying holds: If the prices looks to good to be true, it is. DO NOT BUY. Otherwise: look at everything; move everything that should move; try to move anything that shouldn't move; bring along a camera body and if possible mount the lens and take several tests (different distances, different focal lengths, different apertures).
I plan on taking my K-50 and testing it all out.

How would I test for decentering?
03-07-2016, 12:04 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
I plan on taking my K-50 and testing it all out.

How would I test for decentering?
You need to focus on, photograph something that is as nearly flat as possible, at exactly right angles to it (=sensor plane as near as possible parallel to the flat subject). Then call up the image in PREVIEW, ENLARGED, check the center sharpness to make sure it's OK. then compare right edge vs left edge, top edge vs bottom edge. They should look the same. If, for example, the right edge is significantly sharper than the left, there's a problem.
03-07-2016, 12:50 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
The old saying holds: If the prices looks to good to be true, it is. DO NOT BUY.
The problem with this advice is that some people can't recognize when something is too good to be true. The price is never too low to set off alarm bells in their head.

03-07-2016, 12:52 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pete-tarmigan Quote
The problem with this advice is that some people can't recognize when something is too good to be true. The price is never too low to set off alarm bells in their head.
It might be to low, but that's why I plan on testing EVERYTHING out...
03-07-2016, 03:08 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pete-tarmigan Quote
I've gotten a good number of my lenses at "too good to be true" prices off of Ebay.

FA 50 1.4 - $50 - posting said there was so much fungus the lens was not usable. I didn't see that in the pictures so I bought it. When I got it, I found it had a very small amount of fungus that was very easily removed.

DAL 55-300 - $50 - camera it was mounted on had been dropped and the mount was broken and the filter screw mount was cracked. $7 + shipping for a new mount from Pentax and it works just fine and is really sharp for a bigger zoom.

Olympus Zuiko 55mm 1.2 - $35 + shipping - absolutely nothing wrong with it except it was missing the rubber grip - converted to K mount

Vivitar 55mm 2.8 macro + camera - ~35 + shipping - poor description and picture but I did research and decided it had to be what I though it was.

Panagor PMC 90mm 2.8 macro - same exact story as above and about the same price.

Konica camera with multiple lenses including Sigmatel/Sigma XQ 135mm 1.8 and 300mm f4 for $180

So just because the price is "too good to be true" doesn't mean it is.

Just do your research and testing and then come to your own conclusion.
03-08-2016, 07:30 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Assuming they are in good condition (going to see them tomorrow) how are these prices?
DA 40 XS $100
DA 10-17 FE $180
Possibly $250 for both, all prices in CAD.
03-08-2016, 08:34 PM   #11
Veteran Member

As far as "Too Good to be True", I acquired my M-50 f/1.4 for $12. Sometimes you just get lucky.
03-08-2016, 09:08 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
Assuming they are in good condition (going to see them tomorrow) how are these prices?
DA 40 XS $100
DA 10-17 FE $180
Possibly $250 for both, all prices in CAD.
Those prices seem excellent to me.

I don't subscribe to the "If the price looks to good to be true, it is" axiom. Some shops - and people - care less about getting every last cent and simply want to move inventory, particularly a niche brand like Pentax where there is concern merchandise will sit and collect dust for months or even years. Many shops can't even test Pentax lenses because they don't have access to a Pentax body.

I am confident you will be careful and thorough and level-headed.

Good luck!
03-09-2016, 03:56 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
Those prices seem excellent to me.

I don't subscribe to the "If the price looks to good to be true, it is" axiom. Some shops - and people - care less about getting every last cent and simply want to move inventory, particularly a niche brand like Pentax where there is concern merchandise will sit and collect dust for months or even years. Many shops can't even test Pentax lenses because they don't have access to a Pentax body.

I am confident you will be careful and thorough and level-headed.

Good luck!
+1 I tend to not ask to much from my lenses as I don't want to rip off the buyer. If the lens has an obvious flaw that would make somebody not wanting it: can't AF property, obvious decentering or anything like that, I would not even propose it for sale because again I don't want for the buyer to feel he was ripped off. Alternative is to say it explitely and ask for a very low price. Buyer do it on purpose and know the risk.

On the contrary I see some people here or on ebay that ask as much for their used product as I would pay for one new or only a few percent bellow. There are the one that would complain the used price are too low or have their offering staying there for months. I don't think that's a wiser approach.

Recently I sold my FA*24 for 349€ + shipping. From what I saw on ebay, you could have it for 400€ from some seller so I had the feeling it would sell fast and make somebody happy. It sold in a few hours.

The lens I think was a good sample with typical FA*24 properties, and I didn't paid more to get it... So no issue for me. I don't enjoy to try to extract more money from others.
03-09-2016, 02:22 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I think I'm going to have some new lenses soon, I pretty much fell in love with them when I saw them.
I'm almost disappointed I didn't find anything wrong, LBA is harsh!
How do these look?
I couldn't see any issues, they are all shot wide open I believe.
10-17 @ 17
10-17 @ 10
40 @ 40

Last edited by bertwert; 03-09-2016 at 09:10 PM.
03-09-2016, 02:31 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ideally you want something outside to show focus at infinity. It'll be really hard to see if it's perfect because at 10mm and infinity, something has to be really big to even show up. Probably just getting the focus to lock at a distant object is proof enough.