Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-09-2016, 05:00 AM   #16
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
Rather than defish, learn to use it creatively.
Defishing on the occasion doesn't prevent creative use from non defished, partially defished or fully defished pictures. I'd say one can do both if he wish too and I don't know why I would prevent him to do so...

This also doesn't solve the money issue... 180$CAD for the 10-17 is a steal... But that doesn't mean you'd have the money and the luck to get a DA15 or a sigma 8-16 for 180$ just after (or ever).

If you only have a fisheye or the money for a fisheye and you want some defished pictures from time to time, it is better to just do it than to enter into philophical questions on the proper and admited use of a piece of gear.

And honestly picture are 17mm are only moderatly curved, and defish quite well. To me it look comparable to what you get from a tamron 10-24 that still more expensive with the added possibility to get creative shots...

03-09-2016, 05:01 AM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It's because of the way the image maps through the fisheye lens, isn't it? I put a 16mm Sigma fisheye on my K-5, and even with the crop factor the field of view was WAAAAY wider than my DA15. I wish it hadn't had problems with infinity focus - the FOV on my ME was enormous and the distortion was something I could live with, especially if I held it absolutely level.
03-09-2016, 04:26 PM   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Nicolas06 Quote
Defishing on the occasion doesn't prevent creative use from non defished, partially defished or fully defished pictures. I'd say one can do both if he wish too and I don't know why I would prevent him to do so...

This also doesn't solve the money issue... 180$CAD for the 10-17 is a steal... But that doesn't mean you'd have the money and the luck to get a DA15 or a sigma 8-16 for 180$ just after (or ever).

If you only have a fisheye or the money for a fisheye and you want some defished pictures from time to time, it is better to just do it than to enter into philophical questions on the proper and admited use of a piece of gear.

And honestly picture are 17mm are only moderatly curved, and defish quite well. To me it look comparable to what you get from a tamron 10-24 that still more expensive with the added possibility to get creative shots...
The 10-17 is very capable of shots that don't look "fishy" and some shots can successfully be de fished. I also think it's fair to say that if someone is buying the lens with the intention of using it as a a regular wide angle with the help of PP software, they might be better off saving a little longer and picking up a 12-24 or Sigma 10-20 or one of the other wide options. I've seen a lot of threads through the years moaning and groaning about the 10-17 or the software they were using to defish and the unacceptable results they got.
03-09-2016, 04:30 PM - 1 Like   #19
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
The 10-17 is very capable of shots that don't look "fishy" and some shots can successfully be de fished. I also think it's fair to say that if someone is buying the lens with the intention of using it as a a regular wide angle with the help of PP software, they might be better off saving a little longer and picking up a 12-24 or Sigma 10-20 or one of the other wide options. I've seen a lot of threads through the years moaning and groaning about the 10-17 or the software they were using to defish and the unacceptable results they got.
Main reason I'm getting it is LBA and I've always wanted to play with an UWA. If I don't like it I plan on selling it on to another owner here. As I said earlier I like fisheye photos but maybe once in a blue moon I'll want a rectilinear shot and was jsut wondering how feasible it was with this lens

03-09-2016, 05:57 PM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The 10-17 is a great little lens. It is small enough to always find room in your bag. At 10mm correcting the fisheye affect can be somewhat difficult and I have never been able to full correct the distortion. I have not tried it in DXO Optics yet. From 13mm on distortion is easily corrected.
10mm distortion partially corrected anymore would have ruined the image.

13mm distortion corrected.

15mm distortion corrected.

17mm distortion corrected.

11mm no correction.

Same photo with distortion corrected. Note the trees at the edge.

Sometimes a fisheye is best as a fisheye and no corrections are ever needed. 10mm fisheye fun.

It really is a fun underrated lens. I do not use it everyday, but I definitely enjoy having it in my line up.