Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-07-2008, 08:29 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Which lens?

Hello,

800€ is my budget (thank you for my earkier birthday present mom) and I already own the three FA Limited (31,43 and 77) and a SMC M 50 f/1.7
So I have not yet decided about one or more of the following diferent shooting styles: Macro, landscapes and architecture, telephoto.

Telephoto: well, this is a problem. Since I donīt like "heavy" or bulky/long lenses there seems to be almost no choices in this department. Shure the 200 f/2.8 would be nice but not the size! Have no ideas in here but keep in mind that even the 50-135 I find too big! Do you have any suggestion?

Macro: I wonīt be doing bugs. It is for some ocasional flora but mostly indoors macro - you know, coins, kitchen utensils and "portrait macros". I discarted all amazing macros like the Sigma 180 and similars because of size. Iīm leaning towards the 35 Limited or the Tamron 90 f/2.8. Just not sure what would suit me best. Can you help me here? Also since I have the 31 and 43 wouldnīt it be really ridiculous to get the 35? Or do you think, since it is macro, focal length of normal primes doesnīt matter?

Wider: I really want the 21... but from one side it is not wide enough (maybe) and by having the 31 would it be plain stupid to own both? Iīm not sure.
The alternative is the 12-24 f/4. But since its purchase wonīt allow me anything else I donīt know if it would be the right choice since Iīm not sure how much I would use it.

Damn! Iīm so confused! If only I could get them all

Help please...

07-07-2008, 08:42 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
why not an ultra wide zoom

Have you considered the 12-24, or sigma 10-20? or even a 10-17 fisheye?

I never found 21mm to be wide enough for vacation travel and photographing in tight spots, (city archetecture, inside cathedrals, etc.) I have a 10-20, and since I bought it, it is used for about 20 % of all shots I take, and 12% of those are at 10mm!

If you like travel, wide is much more important than long.

If you want telephoto, but not a lot of weight, go for an older SMC K 135f2.5. Light fast and long(ish) for detail work.