Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-08-2016, 07:28 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Changing Directions..... 'sorta.

My lens collection was becoming more and more of a hodge-podge of mix and match. I think many of us who have gotten reacquainted with photography via the digital era find themselves in my same situation. I had a mixture of auto focus and manual lenses - a conglomeration with no real purpose or direction in mind. So, I've begun to cull the herd, ridding myself of many of them that I'll most likely never use, many that were duplicates - if not in brand, at least in FL. It was a difficult choice to make, but the right one.

I've accumulated a fair collection of auto-focus lenses that fit my budget and photographic needs and interests. After the purge, they include a DA-35mm f:2.8 macro limited, a DA 16-45mm, a DA 50mm f:1.8mm, a DA L 18-55mm WR, a DA L 18-55mm AL II, a DA L 50-200mm ED WR, a DA 18-135mm ED DC WR, a DA 18-250mm ED AL, a DA L 55-300mm ED, a FA 50mm f:2.8 Macro, and a FA 100mm f:2.8 Macro.

During the highlight of my LBA flurry, I fell in love with the F-series zoom lenses, so I kept my F 35-70mm, F 35-105mm, F 35-135mm and my F 70-210mm copies. I realize that these FL's are covered by the DA and DA L lenses I have, but there's just something about the F series lenses I really like.

As far as my prime manual lenses, I kept a Pentax-M 28mm f:3.5, a 50mm f:1.7, a 50mm f:2.0, a M 100mm f:2.8, a Takumar 135mm f:2.5, a M 200 f:4 and a Takumar SMC M-42 500mm f:4.5.

For manual zooms, I kept a M 75-150mm, a M 80-200, and an A 70-210mm (incredibly sharp!)

With my failing eyesight, I find myself using manual focus lenses less and less.... but there were some that I just had to hang onto a little longer. I suspect the M 100mm f:2.8 will be the last to go! The Tak M-42 500mm will get one more outing under it's belt this coming spring when the elk calves are out in full bloom in a little valley north of me, then it's going to another home.

I've still got a small Pelican case full of manual Vivitar lenses, all zooms, most of the Series 1 variety. I seldom use them, but I have a sentimental attachment to them, so I'll just hang on to them unless someone comes along and makes me an offer I can't refuse. All are incredibly well made and all are extremely sharp.

As far as other third-party lenses, I only have five that I've kept..... a Sears 135mm Macro zone (for that awesome "glow") a Sears A 60-300mm close focus lens ( in case I need something to pound tent stakes with!) a magnificent Tamron AF IF 28-200mm lens that outdoes itself over and over, regardless of what the reviews say, a Sigma Hyper Zoom 28-300mm and a Sigma 28-80mm 1:2 macro. Both Sigma's defy the reviews, so they remain because of their outstanding qualities.

So.... do any of you find yourself in such a predicament? With an odd mixture of this and that.... lenses that you've accumulated over the years that need to be gone through and sorted according to need.... and sentimental attachment.... and found it so very difficult to decide which stays and which goes?

I realize that many of you are looking over my modest collection and saying, "But he doesn't have 'this' and 'that'," but I stayed within my budget with many of these coming by way of scouring CL for some real "sleeper" bargains. I'd love to have some of the real legendary lenses, but.... money ALWAYS seems to play a big part in that.

If the truth were told, I probably could cull this bunch down to about four or five and I'd never be left wanting for something more.... but geez.... I just couldn't do it!

03-08-2016, 08:00 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm sure a lot more people here have this issue, than they are willing to admit

I have no photography budget. Partly because we're saving for a new home, partly because my wife thinks all I don't need hardly any of this. So if I want to buy something, I have to sell something to buy it.

By the way, what's in that box of Series 1 Vivitars?
03-08-2016, 08:05 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
I'm sure a lot more people here have this issue, than they are willing to admit
Oh, I admit it. There's just nothing to be done about it.

Though I'm going through the same process of culling, motivated by the K-1, the DA stuff is almost all going.
03-08-2016, 08:21 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote

By the way, what's in that box of Series 1 Vivitars?

Hmmm..... let's see. A 28-105mm macro, a 35-85mm, a 28-90mm and a 70-210mm (Komine), the best I remember. I've got a 28-200mm.... not a Series 1.... that gives off a glow somewhat like the Sears 135mm macro zone. Gorgeous effect for portraits. I've also got several other non-Series 1's that are remarkable, especially when the price they can be found for is considered. All are built like the proverbial tank and pin-sharp.

03-08-2016, 09:36 AM   #5
Pentaxian

I have mminimized my stash of manual zooms since the SR and EXIF cannot keep up with focal length. Therefore I tend to keep the kit as AF zooms and manual primes. However the Vivitar 35-105 (kobori f3.2-4) and JCP 80-200/3.5 are both pretty fast w/decent IQ and little resale value.. so they can stay

I really wish R.Pentax would allow the "Enter FL" option for a programmable button, old zooms would be better tuned to SR that way!
03-08-2016, 01:36 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Dewman Quote
So.... do any of you find yourself in such a predicament? With an odd mixture of this and that.... lenses that you've accumulated over the years that need to be gone through and sorted according to need.... and sentimental attachment.... and found it so very difficult to decide which stays and which goes?

Before I answer your question, I have to complement you on making the statement about having a strategy for the lenses you want and keep. I would do well to sharpen my goals, so the lens strategy could be made clearer.

To answer your question, yes, but not to the extent that you mention. I have the Pentax ME from 1980, and the manual 50, 28, and 70-200 lenses. I should probably decide to sell the camera and the lenses, which all work well, to my knowledge, and which I never use. In the digital age, I should probably sell two of these: 18-55 II, 17-70 f/4, and 16-50. However, the 18-55 II makes a dandy backup lens, with no SDM, and I would not get much for it, so keeping it is probably the right move. Also, I have the 55-300 and 50-135, but since I almost never go long any longer, should probably sell the 55-300, as good as that lens is. Then, I have the 40 limited, which I should probably keep above all else.

The next big question is....stay with APS C, or go FF? I've told myself to just stay with APS C. To that end, I think the perfect lens kit would be the 5 DA limiteds plus D FA 100 macro. That might be perfect.
03-08-2016, 08:50 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I used to buy anything that's been offered to me, and my collection ballooned to almost 40 lenses at one point, many have overlapping focal lengths. I know that 40 is still quite a "manageable" number compared to what most of you have, (but try telling that to wife). My goal then was to try anything I can lay my hands on. But picking a lens/lenses to bring has become a chore, so I have decided to trim down my stash into almost half. I kept a few of the best manual primes (K50/1.2, K55/1.8, K28/3.5, M28/2 among others) and disposed the rest, although I still regret selling the specific A50/1.7 I've had.

I still have a lot of overlaps, but I've settled on lenses with unique renditions. I'm now preparing for the FF, and likely see myself getting the 15-30 with the K1 (or K1 Mk II). I am still in the lookout for a K28/2, and an FA*85 but I'm prepared to accept that with the advent of K1, the FA*85 and K28/2's prices will further rise to impractical levels.

03-08-2016, 09:47 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Sounds like I have the same problem as Dewman. I need to cull quite a few lenses I don't use. I purchased stuff in an LBA frenzy!

Also like Dewman, I have a Sigma Hyper 28-300 but I don't quite know what to do with it. At the moment it stays in my car with my *istD in my "doesn't matter if it's stolen" kit - which is a pit as I've rarely used the Sigma which I bought new. Perhaps I was swayed by the negative reviews.

I, too, like my F series lenses - the 35-70 and 70-210 I got with my SFx back in '89, the 35-105 much later. If I ever go FF, they'll work with it.
03-08-2016, 10:31 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by p38arover Quote
Sounds like I have the same problem as Dewman. I need to cull quite a few lenses I don't use. I purchased stuff in an LBA frenzy!

Also like Dewman, I have a Sigma Hyper 28-300 but I don't quite know what to do with it. At the moment it stays in my car with my *istD in my "doesn't matter if it's stolen" kit - which is a pit as I've rarely used the Sigma which I bought new. Perhaps I was swayed by the negative reviews.

I, too, like my F series lenses - the 35-70 and 70-210 I got with my SFx back in '89, the 35-105 much later. If I ever go FF, they'll work with it.

Don't believe what the reviews say about the Sigma 28-300mm, Ron! Keep it below 300mm..... about 270mm or less, and it's a monster! True story! Mine is always in my Pelican Case when I go on out of town photo safaris. And, have you ever tried it's close-focus feature? Quite good for the occasional flower or butterfly!