Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-08-2016, 08:06 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Gonna; force myself to leave home with only ONE lens!

Not long ago, I had the good fortune to obtain the SMC Pentax-DA 35mm F2.8 Limited Macro lens. For some unknown reason, other than lots of other things to do, I've never given it a shakedown, so today, I'm taking my K-30 and ONLY the 35mm lens and spend some time getting to know it. The weatherman isn't calling for any decent weather.... overcast, a bit windy and cool.... but I won't let that keep me from my mission. The sample photos I've just finished viewing have me primed, so, after some coffee and a little computer time, I'm off! Film at 5 o'clock!

03-08-2016, 08:12 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Lol I always have a hard time leaving with just one lens. Even when it's my 50-150. I'm always thinking " well, what if this? Or what if that?" And I always end up wishing I brought another lens. But it is fun shooting with what you have as opposed to changing lenses for what you see. We'll have fun.
03-08-2016, 08:28 AM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Another dyemention Quote
Lol I always have a hard time leaving with just one lens. Even when it's my 50-150. I'm always thinking " well, what if this? Or what if that?" And I always end up wishing I brought another lens. But it is fun shooting with what you have as opposed to changing lenses for what you see. We'll have fun.

Recently, I went on a two-day sojourn and took three cameras, a case of filters, a bag filled with remote flash gear and a Pelican 1550 case with 16 lenses in it.... not counting the two that were on the cameras! THAT is completely out of hand! I ended up using only two lenses.... a DA 18-135mm and a DA 16-45mm.

.... oh yeah, I DID use my 55-300mm for one long-range landscape shot.
03-08-2016, 08:33 AM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I also leave home with only one lens. One on each body. 16-50, 50-135, and 150-500. Might bring the 70-210 along on my next trip to Yellowstone.

03-08-2016, 09:40 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I've done that with a couple lenses. Walking around the parks and river with the DA21. It yielded a lot of nice images, and really increased my appreciation of the little pancake.

Plenty of other times I'm out with just the FA100mm macro, but I'm looking for insects.
03-08-2016, 09:44 AM   #6
Resident Bagpiper
Loyal Site Supporter

Sometimes I'll do it with an 800mm telescope, though I had trouble stabilizing the image...
03-08-2016, 09:58 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Dewman Quote
Recently, I went on a two-day sojourn and took three cameras, a case of filters, a bag filled with remote flash gear and a Pelican 1550 case with 16 lenses in it.... not counting the two that were on the cameras! THAT is completely out of hand!
Yes, it is. The most lenses I have ever had on my person at once is five - DA15, 21, 40, 70 Limited in the camera bag or on the DSLR (mostly the 21), and an SMC-M 40mm pancake attached to the ME I had stuffed in my pocket just because. Said 40mm came in handy when an opportunity for macro arose and I was able to fit the reversing ring to the K-5 and get to it.

Those four Limiteds take up surprisingly little space in my relatively small bag, especially when one of them is already on the camera, and I was blessed with the fine weather needed to walk around with a bunch of primes that I was changing all the time. I reckon next time I'm leaving the DSLR at home and taking just an ME or MX, the 40mm Pancake, a 17mm Tokina for wide angle work, and maybe the SMC-M 135 I recently got if any long-distance stuff really needs doing. Two lenses in one side of my travel vest, a thyristor flash on the other side to balance the weight, one lens on the camera, and film wherever I can stuff it. No camera bag required!
03-08-2016, 09:59 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Not long ago, I had the good fortune to obtain the SMC Pentax-DA 35mm F2.8 Limited Macro lens. For some unknown reason, other than lots of other things to do, I've never given it a shakedown, so today, I'm taking my K-30 and ONLY the 35mm lens and spend some time getting to know it. The weatherman isn't calling for any decent weather.... overcast, a bit windy and cool.... but I won't let that keep me from my mission. The sample photos I've just finished viewing have me primed, so, after some coffee and a little computer time, I'm off! Film at 5 o'clock!
Have fun!

Try the "Single in XXX" month challenge for another way to dust off a lens that should be getting more love than it is

03-08-2016, 10:02 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Overcast can make for nice even macro lighting!
03-08-2016, 10:28 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
Yes, it is. The most lenses I have ever had on my person at once is five - DA15, 21, 40, 70 Limited in the camera bag or on the DSLR (mostly the 21), and an SMC-M 40mm pancake attached to the ME I had stuffed in my pocket just because. Said 40mm came in handy when an opportunity for macro arose and I was able to fit the reversing ring to the K-5 and get to it.

Those four Limiteds take up surprisingly little space in my relatively small bag, especially when one of them is already on the camera, and I was blessed with the fine weather needed to walk around with a bunch of primes that I was changing all the time. I reckon next time I'm leaving the DSLR at home and taking just an ME or MX, the 40mm Pancake, a 17mm Tokina for wide angle work, and maybe the SMC-M 135 I recently got if any long-distance stuff really needs doing. Two lenses in one side of my travel vest, a thyristor flash on the other side to balance the weight, one lens on the camera, and film wherever I can stuff it. No camera bag required!
Well, at least I didn't have to pack all this stuff along on my back! It was in the trunk of my car.... and I'm never too far from it.... so, all was good. I always have good intentions about using some seldom used lens, but end up with what's tried and true about 95% of the time.

---------- Post added 03-08-16 at 10:30 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by mattb123 Quote
Overcast can make for nice even macro lighting!
You were reading my mind, Matt! I'm not real crazy about having to get so close to my subject with the 35 limited, but.... not ALL of my shots will have to be macro. Either way, it'll give me some experience with the little plastic jewel!

---------- Post added 03-08-16 at 10:32 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by narual Quote
Have fun!

Try the "Single in XXX" month challenge for another way to dust off a lens that should be getting more love than it is
I've never participated in that exercise, but I'll have to look into it now that the weather is warming up a little and the snow has all melted away here in the valley.
And, as far as "Have fun," that's my object every single day I wake up!

---------- Post added 03-08-16 at 10:42 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by TER-OR Quote
I've done that with a couple lenses. Walking around the parks and river with the DA21. It yielded a lot of nice images, and really increased my appreciation of the little pancake.

Plenty of other times I'm out with just the FA100mm macro, but I'm looking for insects.
FA 100! Now you're talkin' MY language! I LOVE that beer can lens! Without a doubt, it get's more TLC than any lens I own. And, it's never too far from it's little brother, the FA 50mm.

Just out of curiosity, have you ever tried the Sigma 28-80mm macro zoom? Sigma 28-80mm F3.5-5.6 Macro Lens Reviews - Sigma Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database

It will shoot 1:2 macro and the copy I have is astoundingly sharp. It's also a superb landscape lens. For a lens that can often be found for less than $40.00, it's a heck of a bargain. I realize that some copies are better than others, but MY copy is a real keeper. I'm one of those guys that many frown upon because I place such a high value on the sharpness of a lens.... but, that's the way I am! I guess it's kinda' bein' a "leg" man. I don't care if the rest of the package is a perfect "10," it she doesn't have the legs to go with it, then.... well.... you get my point!

Last edited by Dewman; 03-08-2016 at 10:44 AM.
03-08-2016, 11:11 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Well, at least I didn't have to pack all this stuff along on my back!
Here is the bag in question, with a six inch ruler and a Spotmatic for scale. It was a handy over-the-shoulder thing. The big compartment held the K-5 with one lens; the small compartment held the other three lenses. I was also able to fit my cable release, my charger and a small tripod along with my M42 adapter ring.

03-08-2016, 12:05 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Just out of curiosity, have you ever tried the Sigma 28-80mm macro zoom? Sigma 28-80mm F3.5-5.6 Macro Lens Reviews - Sigma Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database

It will shoot 1:2 macro and the copy I have is astoundingly sharp. It's also a superb landscape lens. For a lens that can often be found for less than $40.00, it's a heck of a bargain. I realize that some copies are better than others, but MY copy is a real keeper. I'm one of those guys that many frown upon because I place such a high value on the sharpness of a lens.... but, that's the way I am! I guess it's kinda' bein' a "leg" man. I don't care if the rest of the package is a perfect "10," it she doesn't have the legs to go with it, then.... well.... you get my point!
I don't have that but I have a Sigma 28mm f1.8 macro which is really very nice. It's big, as you would expect but quite responsive and renders colors perfectly. In the autumn I was trying to get pictures of little Lasioglossum bees and I think maybe Perdita (but probably Lasioglossum) on goldenrod. Not much luck with the FA100, the slight movement caused them to never be in the focal plane. I switched to the Sigma 28 for a better DOF and yup, it worked pretty well even though I was much closer to the subject. Still not a LOT of keepers for the smallest bees. On more stable surfaces no problem. If you're looking for a short macro, I think it's either the Pentax 35 or the Sigma 28. Plus, the 28 is a lot more useful indoors at f1.8 than I would have expected. It's a great museum lens.
03-08-2016, 05:02 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Just last Sunday I grabbed my K-3, mounted a second-hand SMC DA 35/2.8 L that came in the mail Thursday, stuck a DA 70 in my pocket and walked downtown. I knew the 70 would be almost boringly good, and I've only processed and posted a couple to the DA Lim thread - but the 35 knocked my socks off. I just can't believe how much detail there is.

Yeah, I have far more lenses than I'll ever use enough to justify and even more cameras (that's the collecting) but keep in mind that every so often you can take a neglected lens out for a walk and rediscover its charm. Don't let too many go.

Last edited by monochrome; 03-08-2016 at 05:07 PM.
03-08-2016, 05:33 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Well, the weatherman was wrong. It was gorgeous most of the day, and I made good use of it! I took the DA 35 and left everything else home. I don't recall ever having done that before. Odd, that. Anyway, it felt strange, not having a zoom on the camera. I seldom shoot with a prime and I felt somewhat "limited" in my endeavors. Pun intended.

After getting home and downloading the 72 images I shot, I was very pleased, to say the least. Good heavens, that thing is sharp! And the colors! WOW! I now understand what the reviewer meant about the macro function not being the lens' strong suit. You have to get extremely close to the subject to shoot 1:1, so I'll leave that to my FA 100mm from now on. But, for just about everything else that you'd use a 35mm focal length for, this thing is the BOMB!

Here's a few shots I took with it today.

Last edited by Dewman; 08-05-2017 at 04:11 PM.
03-08-2016, 06:07 PM   #15
Pentaxian

Very cool--#4 is my favorite...your Limited really knows what to do with russet. (FWIW, I wouldn't give up on the 35 in macro mode just yet--a tripod and Live View might get you dialed-in on some nice shots.)

Last edited by CreationBear; 03-08-2016 at 06:35 PM.