Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-09-2016, 05:10 AM   #16
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote
There are 6 K-mount lenses on the Pentax 2016 roadmap: 2016 Pentax Full Frame Lens Roadmaps - CP+ 2016 | PentaxForums.com

There are five DFA lenses on the roadmap:
- Wide angle prime
- Large aperture standard prime
- Large aperture medium telephoto prime
- Large aperture ultra-wide angle prime
- Fisheye zoom
Since the main objective (pardon the pun) is new lenses for the K-1, I read these as references to FF focal lengths (e.g. 50 f1.4 for the large aperture standard prime). None of them is specified as a Limited lens. They don't sound like updates of the FA Limiteds (e.g. the FA 31 wouldn't fall into any of these descriptions).
If the FA31 ltd isn't a wide angle prime on FF I don't know what it is...
FA43 can perfectly fit the large apperture standard prime as it is more standard to have 43mm than 50mm counting K-mount registration distance and f/1.9 count as large apperture in my book.

And certainly FA77 is a large apperture medium telephoto prime...

I don't know what we will get, but they could perfectly have only ltds for the 4 primes if they wished to. Theses ltd could be FA refresh or entirely new designs or be taken from non ltd design (like from DA*55) but still made with compacity and build quality in mind and be called limited.

03-09-2016, 06:53 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Nicolas06 Quote
If the FA31 ltd isn't a wide angle prime on FF I don't know what it is... FA43 can perfectly fit the large apperture standard prime as it is more standard to have 43mm than 50mm counting K-mount registration distance and f/1.9 count as large apperture in my book. And certainly FA77 is a large apperture medium telephoto prime...
That might be it, but there were Ricoh polls recently sent out asking about 24mm and 28mm primes. So I think it is possible we will see a 28mm, 50mm, and 85mm primes before FA ltd update.
03-09-2016, 07:08 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote

APS-C users will reap benefits from the new DFA lenses anyway.
This^^^

I don't understand the fuss, I just picked up a K-3ii and I love it. I don't care how old the line is and if they don't produce a replacement for another 5 years...
if there are more DFA lenses on the horizon, great!
I don't mind if my sensor just reads from the sharpest part of the glass anyways. Now pricing is a whole different story. If the DFA line continues to be in the 4 digits, that will likely kill my hobby.

I was drooling over the DFA 15-30 f2.8
But not at that price!
03-09-2016, 08:29 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by UserAccessDenied Quote
This^^^

I don't understand the fuss, I just picked up a K-3ii and I love it. I don't care how old the line is and if they don't produce a replacement for another 5 years...
I don't mind if my sensor just reads from the sharpest part of the glass anyways. Now pricing is a whole different story. If the DFA line continues to be in the 4 digits, that will likely kill my hobby.

But not at that price!
The 15-30 is stacking up against lenses like the Nikon 14-24 f2.8. These are really big lenses and if you don't need f2.8 on a full frame camera, then going with a lens like the Sigma 8-16 or Pentax 12-24 on a crop is going to be a lot cheaper.

03-09-2016, 08:36 AM   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by UserAccessDenied Quote
This^^^

But not at that price!
If you keep using APSC, it look more logical to buy a 16-50 or 17-50 than a 15-30... Less than half the weight/size and for the tamron/sigma versions less than half the price too. The tamron 15-30 f/2.8 is significantly worse at least on FF border than the 17-50 is on APSC borders at f/2.8...

That the thing lenses design for FF tend to be bigger/more expensive because people ask for more, because it is branded as premium and in case of Pentax, because the lenses are new.

Not all FF lenses make sense for everybody neither.
03-09-2016, 12:52 PM   #21
Veteran Member

For those of us likely to stay in APSc for at least a few more years, I think we'll see some interesting developments with quite a few higher quality vintage lenses that don't measure up well on FF. You'll likely see it both with DA and FF lenses, and to some extent it will be a buyer's market, most likely. So, disregard of the APSc lens line by Pentax will present problems for those who feel strongly about sticking with only the newest and best, but the wider net in vintage could be quite the boon.
03-09-2016, 04:47 PM   #22
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
The reason there haven't been any new limited lenses recently is that the line up is pretty full -- 15, 21, 31, 35, 40, 43, 70, and 77. Getting any longer than that and you get a lens like the DFA 100 macro WR -- small for what it is, but too big to really fit the Pentax mystique.
It's always been a mystery to me why the DFA 100 f2.8 Macro WR isn't branded as a Limited. Too big? It's comparable in size (80x65mm, 49mm filter size) and weight (340g) to the FA 31 (68x65mm, 58mm filter size; 345g) and the DA 20-40 (71x68mm, 55mm filter size, 283g). It has all metal construction, DOF scale, superb build quality. What else is required?

Not all FF lenses make sense for everybody neither.
That's true, and the 15-30 f2.8 is a good example. But plenty do make sense on APS-C, particularly the primes. Even some of the DFA zooms too, such as 70-200 f2.8 and 150-450.

If the FA31 ltd isn't a wide angle prime on FF I don't know what it is...
Nicholas, if the FA 31 f1.8 isn't a large aperture wide angle prime on FF I don't know what is. If Ricoh had in mind a revision of the 31 they would surely have said "large aperture".

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
I think it is possible we will see a 28mm, 50mm, and 85mm primes before FA ltd update.
That kind of conventional mix seems more likely. And, hey, a nice new DFA 24mm or 28mm f2.4 would be welcome, as far as I'm concerned. And why not make it a Limited? There's a slot there between DA 21 Ltd and FA 31 Ltd.

I'd love to think that we would get a new lens as unconventional as the 31 or 43. Maybe a "prime" in the true sense, like 19mm, 23mm or 29mm! But I think Pentax's whimsy days are gone. With a few exceptions (DA15? DA 21? DA 20-40?), Pentax seem more keen lately to replicate the offerings of other manufacturers than to create something completely original. (I'm not being critical, that's a commercial decision, and there have been many fine new lenses in the last few years. It's just a sigh that we will never see the likes of the FA Limiteds again in an all-new lens.)

Last edited by Des; 03-09-2016 at 05:53 PM.