Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
03-08-2016, 01:23 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Limited lenses

Will Pentax continue in the tradition of making Limited lenses now that the K-1 is out ? The last limited lens made was the Pentax 20-40mm and although it is a very good lens it does not have the heft of the other limited lenses.

03-08-2016, 01:41 PM   #2
Pentaxian

If they made a bunch of them, they wouldn't be "Limited", now would they?

Sorry...I couldn't resist. That's actually a very good question since the original Limited lenses were full-frame lenses.
03-08-2016, 01:53 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by hjoseph7 Quote
Will Pentax continue in the tradition of making Limited lenses now that the K-1 is out ? The last limited lens made was the Pentax 20-40mm and although it is a very good lens it does not have the heft of the other limited lenses.
You mean "heft" metaphorically, right? Compared to DA limited lenses, it is much bigger/heavier. Its a fairly good lens, despite not achieving cult status like some of the limited lenses did. But it is relatively small for a "normal zoom"
Anyway, I think the label "limited" is here to stay. Maybe new ones will be more similar to the FA limited series, or maybe more like the DA limited pancakes, or maybe even like the DA limited zoom. I think nobody knows the answer right now. Pentax is busy with DFA standard zooms and DFA* zoom right now, we don't know what comes next. But if the K-1 sells well, there will be more additions to the lens lineup
03-08-2016, 02:02 PM   #4
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
or maybe even like the DA limited zoom.
I hope they don't make something like a "FA Limited 35-70 2.8"
If they did i'd have to have it and a K-1 (that I don't currently plan on buying) to put it on.

03-08-2016, 02:06 PM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
I hope they don't make something like a "FA Limited 35-70 2.8" If they did i'd have to have it and a K-1 (that I don't currently plan on buying) to put it on.
Oh yeah. I hope they keep three lines of lenses:
a) *: fast aperture, big lens, maximum quality, silent AF, and all features like QS, AW
b) Limited: relatively slow aperture, but sharp, deep contrasts, compact design, wonderful character
c) No designation: This is for the other lenses that fill the lineup, but don't fit either of the above philosophies.

But I fear zoom lenses are unavoidable, because the IQ of many zoom lenses is practically the same as some primes. I love primes, but zooms have come a long way
03-08-2016, 02:41 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Well the DA20-40 is same width and length as the FA31, and weights two ounces less. Not a boat anchor, but a lens with respectable size and weight. Aluminum barrel, well made. What do you mean by "heft"?
03-08-2016, 02:44 PM   #7
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Yes, I was a little confused by the "heft" thing, too... I have all of the DA Limiteds in my collection, and the DA20-40 feels very much the same - bigger and heavier, in fact, and certainly of equal build quality - as the primes... Optically it certainly has its own character, with rendering that is somewhat different to the rest of the gang, but (in my view) it's excellent - and it has plenty of fans...

03-08-2016, 02:54 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think the point of the Limited lenses was to keep them small(ish) so that will keep them generally not hefty.

I suspect we will see a refresh of the FA line with modern coatings. I wouldn't be surprised if they wind up being something like HD D-FA Limited as the new digital full frame designation as we have seen elsewhere.
But this is speculation...
03-08-2016, 04:22 PM   #9
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
There are 6 K-mount lenses on the Pentax 2016 roadmap: 2016 Pentax Full Frame Lens Roadmaps - CP+ 2016 | PentaxForums.com

There are five DFA lenses on the roadmap:
- Wide angle prime
- Large aperture standard prime
- Large aperture medium telephoto prime
- Large aperture ultra-wide angle prime
- Fisheye zoom
Since the main objective (pardon the pun) is new lenses for the K-1, I read these as references to FF focal lengths (e.g. 50 f1.4 for the large aperture standard prime). None of them is specified as a Limited lens. They don't sound like updates of the FA Limiteds (e.g. the FA 31 wouldn't fall into any of these descriptions).

There is only one DA lens on the roadmap, a wide-angle zoom (presumably an eventual replacement for the DA 12-24). No sign of a new Limited there.

Ricoh might detour from the roadmap, so to speak, but it seems unlikely this year or next.
03-08-2016, 04:28 PM   #10
Imp
Pentaxian

the HD limiteds were not roadmapped, there could still be an FA limited update.
03-08-2016, 04:33 PM   #11
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote
There is only one DA lens on the roadmap, a wide-angle zoom (presumably an eventual replacement for the DA 12-24). No sign of a new Limited there.

Ricoh might detour from the roadmap, so to speak, but it seems unlikely this year or next.
Ricoh have been honest about their limited resources. I doubt if we'll see much new on APS-C - lens or camera-wise - for a little while. Maybe the odd thing here and there, but nothing earth-shattering. They will understandably have to focus on getting the K1 and supporting lens portfolio to maturity. That's fine by me... I think we're pretty well supported with APS-C lenses right now, and the K3 / K3II - whilst well-established - are hardly long-in-the-tooth just yet
03-08-2016, 05:13 PM   #12
Veteran Member

But we see a lot of new users coming to this forum since 645Z and even more with K-1 announcement. I think K-1 will sell well, and lenses will follow.
03-08-2016, 06:16 PM - 2 Likes   #13
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
But we see a lot of new users coming to this forum since 645Z and even more with K-1 announcement. I think K-1 will sell well, and lenses will follow.
There's no place for that kind of optimism around here.

---------- Post added 03-09-16 at 12:20 PM ----------

Pentax is busy with DFA standard zooms and DFA* zoom right now, we don't know what comes next.
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Ricoh have been honest about their limited resources. I doubt if we'll see much new on APS-C - lens or camera-wise - for a little while.
Yes, I read the CP interview the same way: Ricoh threw a lot of resources at the K-1, and the next priority will be to expand the DFA lens range.

APS-C users will reap benefits from the new DFA lenses anyway.

Last edited by Des; 03-08-2016 at 06:23 PM.
03-08-2016, 08:04 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote
There's no place for that kind of optimism around here.
Yes, leave us not forget "Pentax is doomed." Right?
03-09-2016, 04:03 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Of course Pentax will continue to make limited lenses, the only question is if they make a bunch of new ones. Hard to say. I would expect an update of the FA limiteds eventually with HD coatings, quick shift and maybe weather sealing.

The reason there haven't been any new limited lenses recently is that the line up is pretty full -- 15, 21, 31, 35, 40, 43, 70, and 77. Getting any longer than that and you get a lens like the DFA 100 macro WR -- small for what it is, but too big to really fit the Pentax mystique.