Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
03-14-2016, 10:30 AM   #46
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by yucatanPentax Quote
Also consider the time factor. Will you have time to stop and change lenses often or will you be able to work within the confines of the lens on the camera?
The 18-135 is bigger than one of the limits limiteds you mention but it isn't a huge lens, particularly compared to other brands. And it is not bigger than 2 or 3 limiteds.

Often in crowds, non-ideal conditions, moving along, etc, it isn't all that convenient to switch lenses. To find out, try it around wherever you are now for a few days. Try shooting three or four days in a row with the 18-135mm. Then try carrying various other lenses and switching for the appropriate lens that you might want while walking, while in crowds, while standing on sidewalks and streets.

I guess my perspective is like the old saying about a camera: "The best camera is the camera you have with you."
So: "The best lens is the lens on your camera, ready to take that shot that may be fleeting."

Anyway, I think someone said it earlier in this thread (or maybe another one): Is this a photography vacation, where you will spend careful time to get perfect images? Or is this a family, fun, friends, travel adventure vacation, where you will take photos as you go, but not necessarily delay others or pause while on the move?

If you do decide on a set of primes, DO try out switching them around while moving around your home town before actually going on vacation. If anything, the practice will be good.

Only you can answer the various questions I've posed, but that gives you an idea what to take.
Heh....
While I was writing this, Nicolas said much the same. Hmm..... Think about it?
These are great suggestions and, A LOT of help. My 18-135mm is my go-to hiking lens up here as it's durable, WR and provides good images. I understand the ease of use and versatility of the zoom, especially when traveling. My only lingering thought is, am I being lazy by NOT bringing two primes and leaving the zoom or, am I being smart by sticking with the 18-135? That old saying "Necessity is the mother of invention" might be in-play if I take two primes. The though process continues. Thanks again. And, Nicolas, thank you so much for the samples and the links. I'll be looking at those for sure. I was drawn more to your Pentax HD 15mm images than to your 21mm's.

03-14-2016, 10:46 AM   #47
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
On a short walking trip I tend to take either the 18-135 or the 15, 40, and 70. On occasion I have taken the 15, FA 35, and FA 77 or the 15, FA31, FA77. The speed of lens changes is not a factor as I rarely walk up on game with either kit. The question of which lens resolves before I get close to my subjects - oh that tree? Let's see big wide open vista and a low perspective - 15. The flower over there - 70. The cute hikers who want to share a lunch spot - 40.

But when in a city... I'm happiest with either a fixed focal length like the 21 or the 31 or with a zoom.