Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-07-2008, 09:24 AM   #1

I'm Confused

I am able to get a lens for cheap, I believe It a SMC. I was wondering if it would work on my K100D. Here is the only pic that he supplied.
Thanks
Bill

07-07-2008, 09:28 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by willyflyboy Quote
I am able to get a lens for cheap, I believe It a SMC. I was wondering if it would work on my K100D. Here is the only pic that he supplied.
Thanks
Bill

yes it works without any adapters.
07-07-2008, 09:36 AM   #3

I am able to get a lens for cheap
Be aware that it was a cheap lens in the first place...
07-07-2008, 09:53 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thanks
Bill
Define "CHEAP"... If its over $100 it doesnt meet the definition. This looks like the SMC Pentax-FA 28-80mm F3.5-5.6. Since it appears to be beat up $50 might be too much for it.

07-07-2008, 11:06 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I got one of those in the closet somewhere, I paid $30 for it 2 years ago to.
07-07-2008, 03:06 PM   #6
Veteran Member

They're $85.95 new through the US based Pentax on-line store, click here for the link.

I'm told that's even expensive for the quality, but I've never looked at one.
07-07-2008, 03:25 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by little laker Quote
They're $85.95 new through the US based Pentax on-line store, click here for the link.

I'm told that's even expensive for the quality, but I've never looked at one.
Stu that one is a bit different, the one the OP showed is this one:
FA 28-80/3.5-5.6
I think it went out of production in 2001. It's still not a very good lens according to jcolwell's site http://www.jcolwell.ca/_SPLOSdb/SPLOSdb-2004-09-31.pdf (pg 8)

NaCl(probably does as well as most P&S tho)H2O
07-07-2008, 03:44 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

Hi Bill, welcome to the forums. As others have said, yes it will fit on your camera and all the functions will work, AF, auto aperture, etc, but unless you are getting it very cheaply, it's not a very good lens. All Pentax K mount variations will fit on your camera and most functions will work, the only one that may not is power zoom, but there are only a few power zoom lenses out there anyway. The all manual "K" (usually called SMC Pentax, or Pentax SMC) and "M" lenses do not have auto focus or auto aperture. The Pentax "A" lenses have auto aperture but not auto focus. And the F, FA, FAJ and DA lenses have both auto focus and auto aperture. If there is a "*" after the FA or DA, that lens is a higher grade lens, the DA*'s for example have weather sealing and hypersonic in lens focus motors.
Here are a couple of good links:
This one is a database of everything Pentax made in the various iterations of the K mount. Cameras, lenses, flashes, winders, other equipment. It has an excellent lens database but he doesn't rate lenses
Welcome to Bojidar Dimitrov's Pentax K-Mount Page

J Colwell's site is lenses only, but he does rate them. His ratings are pretty good but the prices he quotes are pretty old, Pentax has gotten a lot more popular lately and prices have risen quite a bit from what he quotes. Note that his site is 4 years old so a lot of new lenses aren't listed, but it's a good source for older lenses.
http://www.jcolwell.ca/_SPLOSdb/SPLOSdb-2004-09-31.pdf

NaCl(hope that helps)H2O

07-07-2008, 09:06 PM   #9

Original Poster
Thanks for all the input. I figured it was not much better then my kit lens. The guy was asking $50 for it. I think I will pass. I did how ever pick up a deal at a local yard sale, It was a Pentax vintage I believe 1957 It was the first Pentax SLR. It came with 50mm prime and a 400mm screw mount off course and 2x tele.

Again thanks and the site regarding just lenses is a great help.
07-07-2008, 09:59 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks for all the input. I figured it was not much better then my kit lens. The guy was asking $50 for it. I think I will pass. I did how ever pick up a deal at a local yard sale, It was a Pentax vintage I believe 1957 It was the first Pentax SLR. It came with 50mm prime and a 400mm screw mount off course and 2x tele.

Again thanks and the site regarding just lenses is a great help.
Congratulations! That was my first SLR. To be absolutely certain it is the first model, which one collector told me was in production for only six months, the shutter dials (yes, for those who don't know the camera, there are two - slow on the front, fast on top) should have the sequence 1/25, 1/50, 1/100, 1/200, 1/500 on top and 1/25, 1/10, 1/5, 1/2, 1 on the bottom dial. T and B are available as well - I really miss T (press to open, press again to close the shutter).

Get yourself the genuine Pentax M42 > K adapter and have fun with the lenses on your dSLR as well. I used to be pretty fast with the winder and the aperture stop down ring.
07-07-2008, 10:55 PM   #11
Site Supporter

Hi,
Oh, hang it all...I had a big discussion, but decided that it was hopelessly off topic...

Good luck on your quest for great glass!

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 07-07-2008 at 11:03 PM.
07-08-2008, 09:27 PM   #12

Original Poster
I have another question. I have some lenses from my Nikon F3 and was wondering if there was a adapter to use on the K100d.

As I mentioned before I picked up some lenses and Camera at a yard sale. Here are some of the lenses I got.